Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Thastheball on March 07, 2008, 10:45:35 AM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on March 06, 2008, 09:58:16 PM
You're missing my point. I'm not contesting that McHugh may have had a better panel of players or subjective stuff like that, the point is that this was the last time we made a genuinely good managerial appointment.

Know a lot of people didn't rate him too much but I thought Val Andrews wasn't the worst. Did ok with us in championship and league, not too bad with TIT (Tralee IT) or Louth either. The late Eamon Coleman was ok.

Total clap trap. Colewan RIP was a top class manager. he won Ulster and senior All Irelands, 2 National Leagues, an All iIeland Minor plus numerous Ulster titles at all levels, never mind the Sigersons. In other words a VASTLY superior management record to Mc Hugh. Val Andrews was decent enough and his record supports it. Our county board really messed up by getting it all back to front. Instead of making Cassidy manager, they made Mc Elkennon manager and Cassidy the coach. Being involved it was obvious to see it should have been the other way around and that both were servely restricted because of the roles they were in. As for Keogan FFS. In other words we have had managers that were good enough. We have very average to poor players. Mnanagers come and go, but the players are basically the same, the same crap.

Whats the story with the agressive responses? No need for it - we are all just putting forward opinions at the end of the game. I don't like to see terms like "total clap trap" and also the branding of all our players as crap (we have some very good players, some honest hard working average ones and some gobshite wasters). In my opinion the ability of the manager is about more than winning and is certainly to be measured by more than simply trophys won. McHugh only managed one inter county team. He took over a team that hadn't even won a championship match in years (7 i think), that had no confidence or belief and a had a large proportion of piss heads. In 3 years he had a U21 all ireland final appearance and a senior ulster title. I believe he resigned due to family reasons. I would put his achievement along the same lines as if Mick O Dwyer won Leinster with Wicklow (which would probably be his greatest achievement which is saying something). He was on a par with Coleman I reckon. One thing that is for certain, our current management will not progress this team and it will be another short year. I am praying at underage Mickey Graham makes an overdue breakthrough and sets himself up for a future senior team manager. Undeage is where we need to start winning and I think everyone knows that.

anglocelt39

Howya Myles, yes the bould TTB doesn't mind getting his retaliation in first. Fascinating the little insight that he "was involved" during the McIlkennon/Cassidy era, though in what sort of role we can only speculate. He ain't too happy with the current management team either. Now if his involvement was in capacity of a panel member it would be interesting if his posting style matches his playing style i.e. a good man to pick up the odd yellow or red card I'd say. Fascinating stuff altogether.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 07, 2008, 07:15:04 PM
Whats the story with the agressive responses? No need for it - we are all just putting forward opinions at the end of the game.

It gets on my wick too I must admit. There seems to be a pseudo thread police operating here sometimes where over hormonal keyboard-warrior types are only too keen to wade in with the scathing condescension and I-know-way-more-than-that-imbecile put downs. We all speak out of turn sometimes but it's the default setting for more than one poster on here and it'd wear you down.

I'm not aiming that at TTB in particular as I enjoy his contributions and agree mostly with his last one (and it's better craic in here than when it was just me and ac39 flying the oul blue flag), it's a general point about the thread and indeed board in the wider sense.

And a good post there as well myles.

Davitt Man

Any word on how kildallon got on today??

mylestheslasher

Saturday league results.

Denn 0-04 Gaels 1-07
Ballinagh 0-08 Mullahoran 0-09

Kildallon 1-08 C'lough 0-10

BallyhaiseMan

Ballyhaise 0-16 Gowna 0-09

;)

we were 11-2 up at half time,Gowna had McCabe and McKeever but no Pierson.
McCrudden outplayed McCabe,who just wasnt fit to keep up with the pace of the game.
Other great performances by us included Collie Reily,John Donoghue,Donal Farrelly,Michael Rooney,F Slowey, Ali Pickett and Sean McCormack in the 2nd half where he put McKeever in his back pocket( somone on here wont like to hear that though  ;D )

Celt_Man

Cootehill -  Kingscourt and Drung - Drumgoon both called off due to the state of the respective pitches in Cootehill and Bunnoe
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

CC1

All results up on Aertel now... We lost to Killinkere today. 1-09 to 2-13 it says on the tele text but I'm nearly sure there was 5 points in it, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the referee handed in that result though...  ::) Both goals killed us though, horrible ones to concede...
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Davitt Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 08, 2008, 09:58:03 PM
Saturday league results.

Denn 0-04 Gaels 1-07

Any report on the Kildallon C'lough game??

Homer

Very poor game in bad conditions, a draw might have been a fairer result with Mullahoran grabbing the lead at the death from a rather dubious free.

Not too disheartened as the lads only started back training last Friday and we were also without the services of a few of our first team players (Cian McDermott, Niall McDermott, Patrick Carolan and Anthony Gaynor) while Mullahoran lined-out an almost full strength team.

Cavanfan

Well hello, it has been a while.

So we are back to game week and it's Meath up next. So what are people's thoughts on the game? We all know it's a must win game in order to try and avoid reglegation! Can we do it?

We did well against Dublin in the first half. Can that performance help us beat Meath?

cavanmaniac

Well Meath haven't exactly been setting the world alight in the division either so it's crucial from a survival standpoint that we beat them, given that they're precariously enough placed as well, with only the gift points from Cork and a draw with Roscommon disguising a slow enough start from them.

They'll be getting better all the time though, but hopefully we can improve a bit as well. Meath, Roscommon and Westsmeath (away to Ros and West in last 2 games) were the three 'winnable' looking games before the ball was thrown in for round one, despite Westmeath's strong start I'd still stand by that as the possible 6 points we need to stay up. We have a home game with Cork as well - again live on Setanta I'm told - and home advantage should count for something and again, Cork might be in a relegation battle themselves and therefore it's a 4-pointer.

That's all fine in theory however. In reality, I think we're going down. With a better manager we're just about good enough to stay up I think, but we don't have one, so we won't.

Davitt Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 08, 2008, 09:58:03 PM
Saturday league results.

Does anyone know if Colin O'Hara was back for kildallon?

cavanmaniac

I see the U21s are down to play Tyrone in the Ulster Championship on March 19th. I haven't heard a dickie-bird about our U21s for a few weeks, anyone have any information over and above what appeared a few pages back?

I'm refusing to be in any way hopeful this year. Trying to trick the Karma I am...

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on March 11, 2008, 03:02:40 PM
I see the U21s are down to play Tyrone in the Ulster Championship on March 19th. I haven't heard a dickie-bird about our U21s for a few weeks, anyone have any information over and above what appeared a few pages back?

I'm refusing to be in any way hopeful this year. Trying to trick the Karma I am...

Where is it been played?