Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Quote from: Hollow Man on December 03, 2007, 11:46:47 AM
Ballinagh U21s in div2? what a joke

i suppose thye only have podge, niall o reilly, kevin smith, niall mcdermott, paddy carroll, tom moore ...

ridiculous

While not wanting to sound cocky here, I'm very disappointed with that myself as I feel they could have given Division 1 a real go this year. Many of the players have already won 2 Div 2 u21 championships and the rest would have been involved in this years Div 2 minor and I'm sure they would prefer to just have a shot at Division 1.

Unfortunately the county board in their eternal wisdom, still deem it acceptable to base the u21 championships on senior status.

Having said that Division 2 success is by no means a sure thing, Lavey and Bailieborough are both good sides and although Ballinagh have some very high standard players we only have a panel of 17 including Terry Smith and David Finnegan who are currently on the injured list.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Homer on December 03, 2007, 11:10:34 AM
Only getting chance to post now after a bit of a hectic week there.

Tremendous stuff from the Ballinagh lads last week, words do not express the joy and pride felt while watching them battle their way to victory in an Ulster final. They really did play like men possessed and Dunloy just didn't have any answer for them. The scenes on the pitch and back in Ballinagh on Sunday night will stay with me forever. Well the bits I can remember anyway  :P

The Leinster IFC final; Ashbourne/Donaghmore Vs Fingal Ravens takes place next weekend, with Ballinagh meeting the champions in February.

I can also confirm that Gaynor, Eddie and Finbar have indeed been recalled. Cian McDermott was also called in but, to my great disappointment, has turned down the opportunity.

A few u21 games played over the weekend:
Cavan Gaels will meet Castlerahen in this years Division 1 final after defeating Lurgan and Cuchulainns respectively.
Lavey overcame Cootehill to reach the Division 2 final where they await the winners of Ballinagh and Baileborough who meet next weekend.

Finally belated congratulations to Killeshandra, Cavan Gaels and Killygarry on their respective titles last weekend.

Glad to see that sense has prevailed and Gaynor has been called back in. I wonder will they try him in the FF line? I hope that Finbarr has learnt his lesson too as I believe he has a lot to offer the county panel. Any others from lacken get called up?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Thastheball on December 05, 2007, 12:36:52 PM
Finbar O'Reilly has been called back into the county. What a f**king joke. He was vice captain and he did not turn up to represent Cavan in the senior championship two years ago. What a tool and what a disgrace that he is getting the opportunity to play for Cavan again. SHAME SHAME

I suppose I can't really argue with that considering the position I took on the USA 3 saga. The only thing I would say is that Finbarr was a good professional when it came to training etc previously. He was then made a scapegoat for that embarrasing defeat in the league to Waterford in Breffni. He should not have done what he did but I hesitantly say that I think he deserves a 2nd chance after being punished for it last year.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Thastheball on December 05, 2007, 01:56:17 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 05, 2007, 01:48:07 PM
Quote from: Thastheball on December 05, 2007, 12:36:52 PM
Finbar O'Reilly has been called back into the county. What a f**king joke. He was vice captain and he did not turn up to represent Cavan in the senior championship two years ago. What a tool and what a disgrace that he is getting the opportunity to play for Cavan again. SHAME SHAME

I suppose I can't really argue with that considering the position I took on the USA 3 saga. The only thing I would say is that Finbarr was a good professional when it came to training etc previously. He was then made a scapegoat for that embarrasing defeat in the league to Waterford in Breffni. He should not have done what he did but I hesitantly say that I think he deserves a 2nd chance after being punished for it last year.
#

Made a scapegoat. He was on the team to hit frees, thats it, he is not good enough as a footballer and the frees were his ticket, he missed 6 very scorable frees in that game and a number throughout the league. He was not up to it and got his rewards for his poor performance. If he had scored half of what he missed we would have won that game..its that simple. I have no respect for the guy, he is guttless. Total lack of disrepect.If he did not want to be part of the panel, he should have went to the game and pulled the plugs afterwards, instead he choose to pay no respect to the county, the players and the supporters. Shame Shame

Again, I don't disagree to a point but I think if you are relying on a free taker to have a 100% record against Waterford in Breffni park in order to win then there was obviously plenty else wrong that day. I too was at the game and if Finbarr was to be dropped another 7/8 should have been dropped too. The fact that he was the only one means he was the scapegoat. I also think he is a decent footballer and can give a nice pass too on his day.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Thastheball on December 05, 2007, 02:47:53 PM
We beat Waterford by a small margin last season, what do you think was the main difference, the frees were scored. Also a fit mc Cabe, he had the flu in the previous waterford game

We beat them 3-12 to 1-11 in Waterford. Hardly a small margin, also McCabe had a pretty poor game against them if i remember correctly - in fact his form was not great this year untill we hit the championship.

Hollow Man

Wouldn't agree with that, thought Mccabe was class in the league against Sligo and Tipp

Shite v roscommon though

BallyhaiseMan

ah the Finbar Reily discussion.

heres what happened lads.

On a team outing before the Championship the team were staying in a Hotel and they didnt even bother their hole booking Finbar a room FFS,It was Finbar who was treated like shite,not the other way around
The Man missed 0 trainings for two years in a row with the county and its widely known he was probably the most committed player on the panel.
whatever your opinions of him as a footballer is up to you,but questioning his committment is rubbish IMO.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on December 05, 2007, 09:43:26 PM
ah the Finbar Reily discussion.

heres what happened lads.

On a team outing before the Championship the team were staying in a Hotel and they didnt even bother their hole booking Finbar a room FFS,It was Finbar who was treated like shite,not the other way around
The Man missed 0 trainings for two years in a row with the county and its widely known he was probably the most committed player on the panel.
whatever your opinions of him as a footballer is up to you,but questioning his committment is rubbish IMO.

Would agree that I heard he was No 1 trainer. That is why I believe he deserves a 2nd chance but I also think he was wrong to walk as vice captain. Heopfully he will contribute this year and put it all behind him.

Cavanfan

Heard the Cavan lads did well last night for DCU, anyone at the game?? Good to see them playing well :)

mylestheslasher

Report from Hoganstand. They have some team in fairness...

Cavan players to the fore in DCU Ryan Cup success
06 December 2007

Dublin City University were convincing winners of the Ryan Cup on Wednesday night, 5th of December under lights at the Silverbridge, Co. Armagh venue when they defeated Queen's University on a scoreline of 1-14 to 1-4. This victory is a real morale booster to the DCU side ahead of the Sigerson Cup competition next spring, and on this occasion they left down a marker that they are the side to beat in university football competitions this season.

The winners dominated the game from start to finish and led at the break by 0-7 to 1-2, with Cavan's Michael Lyng very much to the fore in most of their promising attacks.

The expected comeback from the current Sigerson Cup holders, Queen's never really materialised in the second-half as the DCU side now playing with poise and confidence ran out convincing winners in the end with Lyng scoring his sides only goal of the game in the 50th minute from almost 20 yards.

Indeed, only for some superb saves by the Queen's 'keeper F. Murphy his side could have gone down by a greater margin.

This was a great all-round team performance by the DCU side with Cavan players Dermot Sheridan (Mullahoran), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan) and Michael Lyng (Cavan Gaels) playing their parts to the full.

DCU - M. Savage; D. Sheridan, P. Andrews, D. Mooney; P. Howard, K. Leahy 0-2, one free and a '45', Ronan Flanagan; Dick Clerkin 0-1, K. O'Reilly 0-1; D. Keenan 0-1, Michael Lyng 1-1, C. Cregg 0-1; Shane O'Rourke 0-1, Conor Mortimer 0-4, one free, B. Sheridan.
Subs - M. McElhinney for C. Cregg; M. McNally for D. Keenan.

Queen's University - F. Murphy; P. Treanor, L. Howard, R. Dillon; D. O'Neill, J. O'Kane, J. Crozier; P. Courtney, C. Vernon; J. Grimley, M. O'Rourke, B. McArdle; Paul McComiskey 1-4, 2 frees, C. McGinn, M. Ward.
Subs - N. Bogue for O'Neill; C. Kielt for B. McArdle; H. Gallagher for P. Treanor; E. Hughes for C. Vernon.

Referee - Pat McEneaney from Monaghan.

cavan4ever

These games are good for building up lyngs fitness so hopefully he will be in top shape for us this year.

cavanmaniac

I caught a glimpse at the Gaelic Life there last week, a decent write up about Conor Smith in it, Mickey Harte reckoned he was the most naturally talented player he'd ever seen when he came up against him with Ballygawley against Virginia in vocational schools football a few years ago. He's with the U21s this year, just 18, supposed to have a good partnership with Eugene Keating although I couldn't really see it against Down in the minors last year - all's I remember is a string of wides from a team well on top. Typical Cavan minor stuff.

Has anybody any info on how the county teams are gathering pace for 2008, and more to the point, anyone know anything about Keogan's new right hand man from Tyrone, haven't heard a thing baout him since he was appointed.

Homer

Conor Smith is indeed a very talented footballer, serious pace and a great eye for goal but I've seen him turn out some very ordinary performances on a regular basis for instance the Down match that you mentioned and the Donegal semi-final in 06. However his All-Ireland accomplishments with Virginia vocational school would suggest that this is hardly solely down to big-match syndrome. To be honest he strikes me as the type of fella that could let it all go to his head and said article could be the last thing he needs.

Ballinagh u21s overcame Bailieborough to reach the Division 2 u21 final on Saturday (1-9 to 2-2). It was a hard fought game in desperate conditions but the young saffrons did just enough to ensure another meeting with Lavey in the final. There has been some real rivalry between the two sides over the past few years....

Year - CUP - Rnd - Winner
2002 - u21 SF Lavey AET
2003 - u21 SF Ballinagh
2004 - u21 Final Ballinagh
2005 - IFC QF Lavey
2005 - u21 Final Ballinagh
2007 - IFC SF Ballinagh
2007 - IFC Final Ballinagh
2007 - u21 Final ? ? ?

Ballinagh will meet Dublin supremes Fingal Ravens who defeated Meath champions Ashbourne/Donaghmore yesterday (1-9 to 0-9) in the Leinster IFC final.

Haven't heard much to be honest regarding the county scene, I do know that our lot aren't fully joining the panel until they are finished in the All-Ireland series, well at least that's the plan anyway.

mylestheslasher

All I heard was that the training was savage enough and that they went down to the curragh last weekend to do an assault course. The McKenna cup games at the start of January will tell a tale or two.

cavanmaniac

Is Lorcan Mulvey still on the panel? He'd be some handful if we got him fit and rearing to go, big men like him are ironically 'thin' on the ground in Cavan.