Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 30, 2012, 05:28:47 PM
Poor game of Football today, the ref seemed to favour Mullahoran in a few calls, maybe revenge for the way Kingscourt won 2 years, him being from Cavan Gaels.

Paul Brady had a brillant game for Mullahoran but won't be available for the replay. Massive loss. Mullahoran got 2 late free in the 3 minutes added on from Enda Reilly, He was very good aswell. Cool head for a young player. Barry Reilly was very quiet, well marked, got some nice free's but i'd expect him to be better the next day, and Kingscourt overall, as they were poor today. Mullahoran played most of the football, leading by 5pts at one stage in the first half. Overall poor standard of football.

I though the ref did alright today, which calls do you think he favoured Mullahoran in?

Paul Brady is one of the best footballers in the County and its a shame that he will miss the replay.

rodney trotter

A blatant line ball that was given to Mullahoran, Mossy Malone then gave verbals and was sent off. Himself and Joe McQuillan should have spotted if, if not the ref then McQuillan. It led to a Mullahoran score. Some soft free's given, he told farrelly to hurry up at the end, and as he was about to kick it he blew for a hop ball, what was he suppose to do run and kick at the same time.. he was slow but , no keeper could pull that off.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 01, 2012, 04:41:14 PM
A blatant line ball that was given to Mullahoran, Mossy Malone then gave verbals and was sent off. Himself and Joe McQuillan should have spotted if, if not the ref then McQuillan. It led to a Mullahoran score. Some soft free's given, he told farrelly to hurry up at the end, and as he was about to kick it he blew for a hop ball, what was he suppose to do run and kick at the same time.. he was slow but , no keeper could pull that off.

I didnt see the line ball but but i remember the incident.

I though that aswell on the kickout he didnt give him any time after he told him to hurry up, maybe he couldnt handle the ocassion.

boojangles

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 01, 2012, 04:41:14 PM

Very hard game to referee. I think Noel did well and I think you're implication that he was looking for revenge on Kingscourt is completely unfair on him. He can't be blamed for line ball calls in fairness. Mc Quillan also had Dermot Sheridan booked in the 1st half for nothing. Tully ran into him and came off worse. The Kingscourt keeper should have buried the ball as far as he could instead of delaying at the end.
Don't be surprised if you see Paul the Gunner play Sunday.

rodney trotter

Maybe revenge was a bit strong, but after the the final 2 years ago when the Gaels had some decisions against them i didnt think a ref from the Gaels would be in charge of a co final involving Kingscourt for a long time. It wasn't Kingscourt fault two years ago they won the game but had no luck on the day. Noel Mooney is a decent ref, saw him a few weeks ago and he let it go for the most part.
It probaly was Joe McQuillan who was over that line ball, it was a poor call to make and cost Kingscourt a player.

rodney trotter

That ref two years ago was from my own club, and i wouldn't say he a had a good match because he didn't.. He hasn't taken charge of a Senior Championship match since then. Kingscourt were the better team that day but a few big calls didn't go Cavan Gaels way that day. Its not against Mooney or Cavan Gaels, i just thought it was stange that he was the ref for sunday was from Cavan Gaels, as that game 2 years ago had a lot of controversy. Mooney wasn't biased, just thought the odd 50/50 was shaded to mullahoran. Just my opinion. Best of luck to the 2 teams the next day and Noel Mooney if he is the ref.

tommysmith

Quote from: kounty on October 02, 2012, 09:53:08 PM
does anyone know when the u21 championship starts and the teams that are in division 1

Last weekend of the month its due to start.

I would take this as a positive step.
http://hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=178507

QuoteFormer Tyrone player Peter Donnelly has joined the Cavan backroom team.

Breffni County boss Terry Hyland has confirmed that Donnelly - an All-Ireland winner in 2005 - will fill the role of strength and conditioning coach next season. Hyland has also added a new selector, Joe McCarthy, to his management set-up.

"Peter has been coach within the Cavan system for a while and he's now going to be looking after the strength and conditioning of the senior squad," Hyland said in The Irish News.

Hyland is already focused on the task of put together a new panel ahead of the 2013 campaign.

"We have been looking at a lot of games at all levels," he explained.

"A panel will be drawn up shortly. It was a young squad that we were working with and trying to progress last season and we will look to build on that.

"It has not been the best of senior club championships this summer but what we look for its skills-based firstly, what the skill level of the individual is and then we can work on the other things.

"There have been some good U21 county squads in the last few years and players are continuing to come through and looking at all the championships, given that the likes of David Ginvey for example plays for a junior club, what we have noticed is how well the young players have been showing through for their clubs."

Westside

Anyone know anything about Donnelly and McCarthy? Who has stepped aside if McCarthy is now a selector?

I can't help but like Hyland, he's very straight. He wasn't afraid to call the Club Championship poor.

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on October 03, 2012, 01:55:14 PM
Anyone know anything about Donnelly and McCarthy? Who has stepped aside if McCarthy is now a selector?

I can't help but like Hyland, he's very straight. He wasn't afraid to call the Club Championship poor.

McCarthy has been involved with Hyland with the U21 the past 3 years.  I dont think anyone has stepped down Forde was the only selector last year and when Hyland was appointed he said he would be adding to the management team.

Donnellly has been working for the County board as a development officer (?) for a good while now.  If you were to believe all you hear it was him who was one of the main reasons for Drumalee winning the intermediate a few years agao.

BigMac

Donnelly is still a young lad, does he play any football himself anymore?

rodney trotter

Plays with Coalisland, he was on the Tyrone panel for a few seasons, never rmade it as a regular, He would probaly get on most other teams in Ulster. Captained the tyrone u21's when they won an All Ireland. 29 now, would be class be if was a player coach with Cavan, That would never happen though..

BallyhaiseMan

We had Peter Donnelly for a training session two years ago.
Brilliant coach and one of the most enjoying and challenging sessions i've had as a footballer.
He is very highly thought off throughout Ulster as a coach/trainer/strength and conditioning coach. It is a very Good appointment by Terry.
Good luck to Rodney/Celt Man/Beer Baron at the weekend in the Intermediate.

rodney trotter

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 04, 2012, 10:25:25 PM
We had Peter Donnelly for a training session two years ago.
Brilliant coach and one of the most enjoying and challenging sessions i've had as a footballer.
He is very highly thought off throughout Ulster as a coach/trainer/strength and conditioning coach. It is a very Good appointment by Terry.
Good luck to Rodney/Celt Man/Beer Baron at the weekend in the Intermediate.

Cheers BH. Cootehill have an extra incentive by winning on Sunday, they would be playing Division 1 football and in the Senior Championship next year. Lacken will still be equally as hungry to win. Should be a good game of Football.

mylestheslasher

Intermediate a draw, 1-10 each.

mylestheslasher

Mullahoran take the senior title 1-8 to 0-7.