Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

takeyorpints

I've been a reader here for a while and was going to wait until the Sean Johnston saga was over before I posted. But this mylestheslasher gets right up my nose with his sniping posts about Sean. Secondly mylestheslasher it seems every one here has to agree with your point all the time. What's that all about? Let me tell you one thing. Don't post about something you no NOTHING about. The amount of garbage you have written about Sean Johnston and Cavan Gaels is unreal. Have you proof the Gaels are objecting to the transfer or is it just crap you read in the papers? Who told you from the Gaels? Post fact mylestheslasher not hearsay. Your like a broken record moaning about Sean Johnston and in fact your so far off the Mark your making a total idiot of yourself . Your a clown and your bitterness towards Sean makes you look a bigger clown. Concentrate on what you think you know about . Leave the Sean Johnston saga to Sean Johnston. It's actually none of your business what he does. Now your cronies can all come on one by one and back you up. You are the king of the Cavan thread or so you like to think you are. Do you even go to the games? Dipstick!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: takeyorpints on May 10, 2012, 04:59:03 PM
I've been a reader here for a while and was going to wait until the Sean Johnston saga was over before I posted. But this mylestheslasher gets right up my nose with his sniping posts about Sean. Secondly mylestheslasher it seems every one here has to agree with your point all the time. What's that all about? Let me tell you one thing. Don't post about something you no NOTHING about. The amount of garbage you have written about Sean Johnston and Cavan Gaels is unreal. Have you proof the Gaels are objecting to the transfer or is it just crap you read in the papers? Who told you from the Gaels? Post fact mylestheslasher not hearsay. Your like a broken record moaning about Sean Johnston and in fact your so far off the Mark your making a total idiot of yourself . Your a clown and your bitterness towards Sean makes you look a bigger clown. Concentrate on what you think you know about . Leave the Sean Johnston saga to Sean Johnston. It's actually none of your business what he does. Now your cronies can all come on one by one and back you up. You are the king of the Cavan thread or so you like to think you are. Do you even go to the games? Dipstick!

Thanks for that contribution Seanie.
Love
King Myles

Ollie

Seanie will be better off with Kildare, the Gaels will still continue to dominate the championship, and things cant get any worse for the Cavan seniors so that can only improve (slowly). My point is whether you support Johnston or in myles case begrudge him, it doesnt matter. Things will be the same regardless if he's in Cavan or Kildare.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ollie on May 10, 2012, 07:17:41 PM
Seanie will be better off with Kildare, the Gaels will still continue to dominate the championship, and things cant get any worse for the Cavan seniors so that can only improve (slowly). My point is whether you support Johnston or in myles case begrudge him, it doesnt matter. Things will be the same regardless if he's in Cavan or Kildare.

Ollie - Begrudge him? Wrong word. I don't envy Sean Johnston in fact he represents everything that I dislike in parts of sport. If you go back you will see I have praised his performances in some games when warranted but its his attitude that stinks and this whole episode just proves that even further. I am a great admirer of many fine county footballers throughout ireland who have achieved much more than Johnston so to suggest begrudgery is nonsense.

I also believe that Cavan senior footballers will improve quicker without Sean Johnston because they will be forced to play as a team and Johnston never played as a team player. Its very noticable not one current co player has come out in the papers in support of him, only a few of his former comrades like Nicholas Walsh. We will take some pain in the short term, there is no question, but we have to start somewhere. We've the right man in charge and good young players so I am hopeful in time that will reap results. 2012 through is unlikely to see that improvement unfortunately.

Swadman

Spoke to a few Fermanagh lads after their defeat to Wicklow. even the "Great One" couldn't pull that miracle. One man made a lot of sense though. He said "Peter will get the best out of the squad he has, 100% plus, but  they are not good enough to go too far." Everyone in Fermanagh knows their limitations but are happy with each man giving his best and then some.
I though it was a refreshing bit of honesty and clarity of his county's position.
As I commiserated I suggested we (Cavan) were in the same boat. He pointed out we should be looking forward with a little more optimism because of the recent minor and U-21 triumphs. If we can work with these young lads and encourage them and above all be patient, not looking for instant senior success all the time.
The point is "look forward." There is no magic wand for instant success. Yes there will be a tough year (or two ahead) but if the "Richies" of the world are patient and give these young lads time to mature then the future can be blue.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Swadman on May 10, 2012, 09:07:52 PM
Spoke to a few Fermanagh lads after their defeat to Wicklow. even the "Great One" couldn't pull that miracle. One man made a lot of sense though. He said "Peter will get the best out of the squad he has, 100% plus, but  they are not good enough to go too far." Everyone in Fermanagh knows their limitations but are happy with each man giving his best and then some.
I though it was a refreshing bit of honesty and clarity of his county's position.
As I commiserated I suggested we (Cavan) were in the same boat. He pointed out we should be looking forward with a little more optimism because of the recent minor and U-21 triumphs. If we can work with these young lads and encourage them and above all be patient, not looking for instant senior success all the time.
The point is "look forward." There is no magic wand for instant success. Yes there will be a tough year (or two ahead) but if the "Richies" of the world are patient and give these young lads time to mature then the future can be blue.

People need to remember Donal Keoghans reign and all the talk about lads on the piss before games, the lack of dedication etc while all the other counties with ambition were taking preperation to another level. We all wanted a clear out and to go with dedicated lads who wanted to give everything. Thats what has been delivered now and we must stay the course and not pine for guys that are no longer there. Cavan have won nothing for a long time so the notion that there are an array of superstars somewhere in the county and that big bad managers won't call them up is ridiculous. We are what we are and as your friend in Fermanagh said all we can ask is that these lads play to the maximum of their ability and the supporters need to give them the time to develop. The problem is the Richies of this world don't want to wait, they want to knock decent young footballers. These young lads from the past 3 years of U21 teams are a new generation and are ambitious and dedicated and they don't deserve that.

cavanmaniac

Agreed fully Myles. It's stupidity to repeat the same short-term approach year after year and expect anything other than the same results...shambolic mediocrity, unrest on the panel and a lack of commitment. Some people can't see past that.

We'll just have to strap ourselves in for a bumpy ride and hope the minors and U21s can keep producing, and that our senior setup is now a good one.

I guess all this makes me one of your cronies now, right?

rodney trotter

Was a full panel named for the Championship yet? It was a good move getting John McCutcheon back, he should never have been let go in the first place. Eugene Keating is playing well with his club he was a big miss during the league after getting the injury against Sligo. Not sure about Georid Mckiernan being fit but Givney should be able to play. I would leave Mckeever centre forward he played very well there when he was given the chance in the league. I expect a better performance than last year but don't think we will have enough to beat Donegal.

takeyorpints

Keating was tried centre half back against Letrim last week in a challenge and McCutcheon at midfield. Up the middle must be a worry after been cut open in league games especially the Antrim game. Crazy that it's taken til 3 weeks before the championship to experiment with a new centre half back. Shades of this time last year all over again in the build up. Can't understand how so called managers and selectors can't get together at the start of the year with player they want to see as the spine of the team. It's so make it up as you go along. Then again it always has been that way in Cavan. Anyway I hope you all will attend tonight's open day. Be nice to make the players feel like county players for an hour or so even though they miles from that aim. Let's go get a few autographs., clap a few backs, maybe the messiah will fill the cup with ballygowan!!

Westside

If McCutcheon is being tried at midfield does that leave trying Givney or Gearoid in full forward or is it calculating for the loss of Gearoid? Keating at centre half back might not be a bad shout. He's big and aggressive and capable of getting the ball long and accurately into our forward line.

Takeyorpints you are aware that this is a new management team? Also, if Hyland didn't try to change what almost got us relegated in the league would you be moaning about sticking with a formula that's not working? I'd bet so.

rodney trotter

I wouldn't be that confident of Keating as a centre back.. He was tried there in Tommy Carrs first year and he looked lost in my opinion. I think it was maybe more that Niall Lynch was a selector at the time and he played once or twice there that year with Cuchulainns in that position. Forward/midfield suits him but not beyond that. I think he is one of the most talented players we have, he showed in glimpses last year that he is a quality player. Leave Pauric Reilly at centre half unless he is out injured.

takeyorpints

I think mckiernan might be out so maybe that's the thinking behind McCutcheon at midfield. Dunne probably won't make it either. Meehan seems to have been switched back to the half back line under Hyland.im sure that's a good move especially against Donegal. I feel there's a certain team and system we could use to beat Donegal in a one off game. Not necessarily be our best team but it can be done. Hyland using maloney-Derham and Meehan as wing half backs means he seems to want them to break at pace . That's fine if you can either draw the foul or score from distance or have more importantly players playing off the shoulder of these two who can score or draw the foul.a very disciplined performance can beat Donegal. No back chat no stupid yellow cards for pulling a dragging and definitely no red cards. Discipline has cost us more this past few years as much as wayward shooting.

mylestheslasher

Cavan will just have to get men behind the ball and give Donegal a bit of their own medicine. If you play that way then I wouldn't be as worried about the backs as I would about the forwards. If we are going to try and turn them over and get the ball into the forwards quickly then we will need a ball winner or two in the FF line and that's where we have the problem. Is Tierney going to be able for it - not against an animal like Neil McGee imo. Maybe Cullivan could do a job in there. He is a player who had so much potential but just has gone backwards for some reason but maybe in there with a simple job to win dirty ball and lay it off then maybe he could produce the goods. McDermott did well last year against Donegal so I suppose he could be in there too. I think it will just be hard to get the scores.

takeyorpints

Mylestheslasher... If your going to beat Donegal well midfield doesn't come into it. When did you ever see Donegal beating any1 dominating the middle of the field. As I said in my previous post. Break at pace. Draw the foul or as you say kick the long range score.play the "off the shoulder" stuff and have half forwards willing to support the attacking half backs. f**k this sweeper crap we tried last year. Let Donegal worry how we play. f**k how they play.we are in control. We are the underage kingpins. It's our call. That's the mentality we need to portrait. Have we got a man able to protrait that mentality? NO!! None of toms men are up to the task!!

mylestheslasher

So Cavan should go man to man against McBrearty and McFadden? Interesting.

And when we are bet you'll be on crying about tactical naivety i suppose.

btw - Toms men have won 2 U21 Ulster titles and 1 Ulster minor. What has anyone else done in the last 30 years. Why don't you declare what your chip on the shoulder is with Hyland??