The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 15, 2019, 12:09:44 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 15, 2019, 11:42:40 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on July 15, 2019, 11:38:46 AM
Surely it was a six?  Did the batsmen not run 2 runs?

Should only have counted the ruins they completed before the throw. When Guptil the the ball they only had one

He was running the second run which he completed  If the throw at the wicket had hit, the batsman may have been out (don't know if he had made it). The over throw went on it's merry way to the boundray.  So 2 runs and 4 overthrows.

Not according to a five time umpire of the year:

England win Cricket World Cup after super-over drama against New Zealand

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/14/england-new-zealand-cricket-world-cup-final-match-report-super-over?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2019, 09:47:47 AM
Quote from: michaelg on July 15, 2019, 07:10:26 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 14, 2019, 11:35:25 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 14, 2019, 10:46:50 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 14, 2019, 10:38:16 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 14, 2019, 09:42:53 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 14, 2019, 09:35:16 PM
We'll never hear the end of this!
Don't worry, Ireland are going to beat them in the Test match at Lords this month!

I'm not sure how I should be feeling about that  :-\
Why's that then? You want England to win?!

I just can't support England at anything. But I mean, it's cricket like. It hardly fills me with pride or gets me all patriotic to see Ireland beat England at cricket.

I'd imagine it's a bit like how some unionists from Co Armagh or Tyrone might have felt seeing their respective county team win the Sam Maguire in the 2000's.
Why not?  It's a game run on a 32 county basis.  Do you feel the same about rugby too?  Quite sad too that you bring your analogy with unionists and GAA into something like this.

I understand it's a 32 county team and all that, but it's cricket. I mean... cricket.

Actually, I lied earlier. I would rather England win than the Ireland rugby team. I detest everything to do with rugby, and feel no connection or have no interest towards the Ireland rugby team. None whatsoever. (However, the cricket thing I wouldn't wish them beaten).

Yes, but it's the only thing I could sort of compare it to. Would I be right in saying that?

What about netball, will you be supporting N.Ireland at the current world cup given two top players from Armagh and Tyrone are playing?

sid waddell

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on July 15, 2019, 11:34:06 AM
genuinely disheartened by these comments, NZ were cheated yesterday (the 6 should actually have been a 5) but this board puts forward a british triumph as if it were their own family winning. Shows the power of media, esp all those who grew up watching english tv and reading their papers  ;)
New Zealand weren't cheated.

But they were the victims of a preposterous piece of bad luck, the likes of which I've never seen before in cricket, and given the context of the moment, I don't think I've seen before in any sport.

The four runs that came from that throw hitting Stokes was a thousand to one chance, but it came off.

It was the difference between needing 6 runs to tie from 2 balls, and needing 2 runs to tie.

It almost certainly cost New Zealand the World Cup.

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on July 15, 2019, 10:50:18 AM
Genuinely interested here what does 'but it's cricket' mean?

Exactly that. It's cricket. Played in a few pockets of Ireland, generally in middle/upper class areas. It's not even a predominantly unionist thing (in the same way that the GAA is predominantly a catholic/nationalist thing). You'd rarely see cricket fields anywhere or youngsters out playing it.

So, ireland beating England (or anyone) at cricket, we'll it's not something I'd be excited about. It's like Ireland beating some country at Ploughing, hedge cutting or pancake-making. As I said before, I wont be wanting them beaten either. It doesn't really bother me either way.

BennyCake

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 15, 2019, 12:45:02 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2019, 09:47:47 AM
Quote from: michaelg on July 15, 2019, 07:10:26 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 14, 2019, 11:35:25 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 14, 2019, 10:46:50 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 14, 2019, 10:38:16 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 14, 2019, 09:42:53 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 14, 2019, 09:35:16 PM
We'll never hear the end of this!
Don't worry, Ireland are going to beat them in the Test match at Lords this month!

I'm not sure how I should be feeling about that  :-\
Why's that then? You want England to win?!

I just can't support England at anything. But I mean, it's cricket like. It hardly fills me with pride or gets me all patriotic to see Ireland beat England at cricket.

I'd imagine it's a bit like how some unionists from Co Armagh or Tyrone might have felt seeing their respective county team win the Sam Maguire in the 2000's.
Why not?  It's a game run on a 32 county basis.  Do you feel the same about rugby too?  Quite sad too that you bring your analogy with unionists and GAA into something like this.

I understand it's a 32 county team and all that, but it's cricket. I mean... cricket.

Actually, I lied earlier. I would rather England win than the Ireland rugby team. I detest everything to do with rugby, and feel no connection or have no interest towards the Ireland rugby team. None whatsoever. (However, the cricket thing I wouldn't wish them beaten).

Yes, but it's the only thing I could sort of compare it to. Would I be right in saying that?

What about netball, will you be supporting N.Ireland at the current world cup given two top players from Armagh and Tyrone are playing?

I am aware of Caroline O'Hanlon, and the Tyrone player on the team. But like the cricket, I won't be bothered either way.

Fair play to them for getting international attention, playing in the WC etc, but that's all I can say about it.

square_ball

Strange view on the rugby. You "detest everything to do with rugby, and feel no connection or have no interest towards the Ireland rugby team. None whatsoever." yet you're interested and connected enough to want them beat? Just don't watch it or pay any attention to it. It's the same with the women's World Cup there was as many people shouting from the rooftops saying they couldn't stand it as there was people saying they were loving it. It's a weird way to live. Must be the social media age.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: square_ball on July 15, 2019, 02:21:50 PM
Strange view on the rugby. You "detest everything to do with rugby, and feel no connection or have no interest towards the Ireland rugby team. None whatsoever." yet you're interested and connected enough to want them beat? Just don't watch it or pay any attention to it. It's the same with the women's World Cup there was as many people shouting from the rooftops saying they couldn't stand it as there was people saying they were loving it. It's a weird way to live. Must be the social media age.

Reading Benny's posts it is becoming apparent that his dislike and detestation of cricket and rugby respectively is down to social class or division. He detests that which he believes is something belonging to a different social class from himself and he lacks the confidence to deal with this social division as he perceives it.

Denn Forever

I wonder who the Great World Cup team will lose out in the Ashes team?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Boycey

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 15, 2019, 04:23:27 PM

From yesterdays team these are who WILL play imo

Roy - probably/possibly
Bairstow - definitely, wont open though
Root - Cert, captain they would prefer him at 4 though
Morgan - zero chance, that ship has long sailed
Stokes - yes
Buttler - yes
Woakes -maybe
Plunkett - no
Archer - Will play a couple of tests, not sure how much 4/5 dayers hes even played
Rashid - will get time during the series
Wood - as with Rashid

Others who will play a part some major some minor - Anderson, Broad, Curran, Foakes, Ali, Burns, Jennings

michaelg

Quote from: Boycey on July 15, 2019, 05:07:35 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on July 15, 2019, 04:23:27 PM

From yesterdays team these are who WILL play imo

Roy - probably/possibly
Bairstow - definitely, wont open though
Root - Cert, captain they would prefer him at 4 though
Morgan - zero chance, that ship has long sailed
Stokes - yes
Buttler - yes
Woakes -maybe
Plunkett - no
Archer - Will play a couple of tests, not sure how much 4/5 dayers hes even played
Rashid - will get time during the series
Wood - as with Rashid

Others who will play a part some major some minor - Anderson, Broad, Curran, Foakes, Ali, Burns, Jennings
Most of the English team seem like decent enough guys - Anderson and Broad on the other hand...

BennyCake

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 15, 2019, 03:02:57 PM
Quote from: square_ball on July 15, 2019, 02:21:50 PM

Reading Benny's posts it is becoming apparent that his dislike and detestation of cricket and rugby respectively is down to social class or division. He detests that which he believes is something belonging to a different social class from himself and he lacks the confidence to deal with this social division as he perceives it.

Where did I infer that?

michaelg

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 15, 2019, 07:46:52 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2019, 02:06:43 PMExactly that. It's cricket. Played in a few pockets of Ireland, generally in middle/upper class areas.

Like Strabane?

Apologies in advance to all resident in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Strabanistan.
North Down, Derriaghey, Cregagh, Laurelvale to name but a few would have players from all walks of life.

bennydorano

OgraAnDun

The bastion of upper class unionism, Dundalk.

Tony Baloney

Spent about about 30 mins on Saturday evening watching cricket on the Mall in Armagh. Lovely stuff.