The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: 6th sam on March 19, 2019, 11:22:55 PM
First of all, Rory's entitled to do what he wants. Given the attitude of some "patriots" on this forum and elsewhere, it's no wonder he finds it difficult wrapping himself in the tricolour. He's been no.1in the world in a major (individual) sport , and I'm very proud of the fact that he's from Ireland . I've never met him Personally but know people close to him and I'm aware of his personal attributes and charitable support. Though I don't share his national affinity, I come from a different background with different influences and these are the things that mould us. North Down is not South Armagh. It's an affluent area which was mainly untouched by the troubles, and most people during the troubles Catholic and Protestant enjoyed a great quality of life in that area. I imagine his parents , despite a GAA background and family sectarian loss, made a decision to embrace North Down/Northern ireland , Exemplified by going to Sullivan Upper as opposed to a catholic grammar . As a top sportsman , he was probably a popular student and he was afforded opportunities at school and in the golf club , and the influences of that upbringing moulded him throughout his childhood.
Despite this upbringing some expect him to be wrapping himself in a tricolour and being overtly politically Irish . Knowing many catholic's from that neck of the woods , most tend to keep their head down politically and accept the many positives That  part of NI has to offer. McIlroy likes NI soccer team, Ulster Rugby and Carl Frampton. That's his affinity and much as I would like him to be a James McClean, his influences are different. I respect that , and delight in his success. Anybody that feels any antagonism towards him should explore his charitable impact, his down to earth personality, and delight in the fact that we've a superstar in our midst. PS I presume the comparison with mcgregor is tongue in cheek?

Firmly

TheOptimist

Quote from: Orior on March 19, 2019, 10:04:30 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on March 19, 2019, 03:17:30 PM
This thread is an embarrassment.

What's your handicap?

Don't know yet, second year being a member and need to get three rounds in next few weeks. Time is a killer but getting there. Why you ask?

And my point regarding the embarrassment is that every time Rory McIlroy is mentioned it turns into a debate over his "Irishness". He is one of the greatest sportsmen ever to come from this Island and what he has achieved at 29 is unreal. He gets a lot of stick for not finishing out tournaments, but anyone who knows golf knows how hard it is to win a golf tournament and he is in contention more often than most. Did I see a stat yesterday that Jack Nicklaus finished 2nd in majors 19 times or something like that?

Orior

Fair enough. But nobody is telling Rory what he should think or do. And it's only natural that this topic should arise given his pedigree. You wouldn't want to suppress free speech would you?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

michaelg

Quote from: Orior on March 20, 2019, 08:23:52 AM
Quote from: michaelg on March 20, 2019, 07:15:05 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 19, 2019, 10:22:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2019, 10:06:15 PM
I used to think it was just superprods.. you know the stereotype, supports Linfield, rangers and had all of Wet Wet Wet albums!

Now we're all expected to love Celtic GAA and know all the republican songs!

Here f**k sake don't criticise Celtic whatever you do. You're nothing but a troll if you do that.

No doubt the prevailing view on the Celtic thread would be that the Wolfe Tones song played at the boxing in New York, written about Celtic FC and including the line Up the Ra, was not sectarian.

Did you run to your MP after watching the last episode of Alan Partridge?
Do you seriously think the Partiridge episode and boxing incident are like for like?

Orior

Quote from: michaelg on March 20, 2019, 04:45:19 PM
I used to think it was just superprods.. you know the stereotype, supports Linfield, rangers and had all of Wet Wet Wet albums!

Here f**k sake don't criticise Celtic whatever you do. You're nothing but a troll if you do that.

No doubt the prevailing view on the Celtic thread would be that the Wolfe Tones song played at the boxing in New York, written about Celtic FC and including the line Up the Ra, was not sectarian.

Do you seriously think the Partiridge episode and boxing incident are like for like?

No they're not. But some people in the occupied six like to get upset.

michaelg

Quote from: Orior on March 20, 2019, 04:53:40 PM
Quote from: michaelg on March 20, 2019, 04:45:19 PM

No they're not. But some people in the occupied six like to get upset.
Sometimes with just cause.

lenny

Quote from: 6th sam on March 19, 2019, 11:22:55 PM
First of all, Rory's entitled to do what he wants. Given the attitude of some "patriots" on this forum and elsewhere, it's no wonder he finds it difficult wrapping himself in the tricolour. He's been no.1in the world in a major (individual) sport , and I'm very proud of the fact that he's from Ireland . I've never met him Personally but know people close to him and I'm aware of his personal attributes and charitable support. Though I don't share his national affinity, I come from a different background with different influences and these are the things that mould us. North Down is not South Armagh. It's an affluent area which was mainly untouched by the troubles, and most people during the troubles Catholic and Protestant enjoyed a great quality of life in that area. I imagine his parents , despite a GAA background and family sectarian loss, made a decision to embrace North Down/Northern ireland , Exemplified by going to Sullivan Upper as opposed to a catholic grammar . As a top sportsman , he was probably a popular student and he was afforded opportunities at school and in the golf club , and the influences of that upbringing moulded him throughout his childhood.
Despite this upbringing some expect him to be wrapping himself in a tricolour and being overtly politically Irish . Knowing many catholic's from that neck of the woods , most tend to keep their head down politically and accept the many positives That  part of NI has to offer. McIlroy likes NI soccer team, Ulster Rugby and Carl Frampton. That's his affinity and much as I would like him to be a James McClean, his influences are different. I respect that , and delight in his success. Anybody that feels any antagonism towards him should explore his charitable impact, his down to earth personality, and delight in the fact that we've a superstar in our midst. PS I presume the comparison with mcgregor is tongue in cheek?

Exactly, Rory can do what he wants and so can we. We don't have to like him just because he is irish/northern irish/british. I don't particularly like him but I couldn't tell you why, it's just I've never warmed to him. It's like with conor mcgregor also. I would never support him because he's a total pr**k. Just because someone is irish or a team is irish doesn't mean we can't form our own judgment on whether we want to support them.

Milltown Row2

Like clampits cheering on the Irish ladies hockey team!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

heganboy

three players in golf's history have won 15 pga events and 4 majors by the time they were 30.
Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods
Rory McIlroy
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gabriel_Hurl

Tiger vs Rory in the Match play tomorrow

highorlow

McIlroy beaten by Old Man Woods, kinda tells a tale.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Milltown Row2

Quote from: highorlow on March 30, 2019, 10:13:19 PM

Explain? Brilliant player beats another brilliant player! Hmmm you are well into your golf
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2019, 10:25:43 PM

Explain? Brilliant player beats another brilliant player! Hmmm you are well into your golf

Twice Tiger has now schooled McIlroy in a head to head, imagine he hadn't missed 10 years of his career, rory prob wouldn't have any majors  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 31, 2019, 02:30:39 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2019, 10:25:43 PM

Twice Tiger has now schooled McIlroy in a head to head, imagine he hadn't missed 10 years of his career, rory prob wouldn't have any majors  ;)

Ah that old chestnut, if your granny had balls

Or Harrington for that matter