Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: ardtole on March 03, 2024, 07:59:55 PMI just had a  quick look at the leinster sfc draw and Westmeath and Kildare are on the same side of the draw and probably between them for a leinster final spot. Presuming Dublin win again, one of these teams would be a second seed in the All Ireland series.
So would want to win in mullingar to make sure.

Mourne Red

Following the NFL combine here.. Charlie Smyth flying, made his last 8 kicks.. Missed 55 yards there. Hopefully he does enough to get signed

Truth hurts

Blackandblue2

Quote from: ardtole on March 03, 2024, 07:59:55 PMI just had a  quick look at the leinster sfc draw and Westmeath and Kildare are on the same side of the draw and probably between them for a leinster final spot. Presuming Dublin win again, one of these teams would be a second seed in the All Ireland series.

I think Louth are that side of the draw too. Down would want them to progress to the final along with Dublin so that winning the league final would mean playing in Sam. Although it will be difficult and likely lose to a lot of the good teams, this young Down side would gain more playing against the best teams.

ardtole

Westmeath were unlucky not to qualify from their group last year. The home game, away game and a neutral game is a good format, especially for a young team on the up, like Down.

Truth hurts

I see the first round of the u20 championship is on Saturday, have we a chance? Who are the stars to look out for?

razor

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on March 02, 2024, 04:42:34 PMGreat to see the Castlewellan flags proudly flying in Kilcoo.

Nice touch prior to the town's return to Division 1 football.

Great to see Kilcoo showing support for their neighbours.

#UTT

Actually flags for St Malachys Castlewellan who if you didn't know are in the All Ireland Schools Final on Saturday in Carlow.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: razor on March 04, 2024, 01:46:15 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on March 02, 2024, 04:42:34 PMGreat to see the Castlewellan flags proudly flying in Kilcoo.

Nice touch prior to the town's return to Division 1 football.

Great to see Kilcoo showing support for their neighbours.

#UTT

Actually flags for St Malachys Castlewellan who if you didn't know are in the All Ireland Schools Final on Saturday in Carlow.

Oh. Ok. Thanks for enlightening those of us not in the know.

statto

What's thoughts on Clarke coming in as sweeper/keeper?

Mourne Red

Quote from: statto on March 05, 2024, 05:55:26 PMWhat's thoughts on Clarke coming in as sweeper/keeper?

If he can save a shots then that's grand.. But if he can't let's not put square pegs in round holes.

statto

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 05, 2024, 06:00:02 PM
Quote from: statto on March 05, 2024, 05:55:26 PMWhat's thoughts on Clarke coming in as sweeper/keeper?

If he can save a shots then that's grand.. But if he can't let's not put square pegs in round holes.

From what I have seen o hare looks a decent keeper definitely an upgrade on kane.Having 37 year old Anderson as the sub keeper was a strange call, even stranger bringing in a lad who hasn't played for thirteen years and is part of the backroom team.

downtothecore

O'hare in goals is doing a good job at the minute so He has to be first choice. I cant believe M clarke would be considered for this role as He is to long out of the game... maybe management see something special from him in the in house games....

snoopdog

As good as O'Hare is doing, as a sweeper keeper he doesn't venture far past the half way line. No doubt Clarke would be able to take a shot on or distribute the ball better. But yes it's hard to see him as more than cover.

ardtole

If Clarke is anyway proficient at the basics of goalkeeping, he could be a serious weapon, coming onto the ball from deep with time and space.

It's definitely worth a look at, particularly if we beat Westmeath and have a risk free game v Clare.

Without doubt he is a generational player, and the new innovative sweeper keeper role could suit him.

AnDúnAbú94

I reckon they expected Smyth back from the States at some stage this year but with the reports saying the three lads are in line for contracts that Clarke is the contingency. I doubt he'll see the pitch unless O'Hare gets injured.