Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on December 13, 2016, 06:40:58 PM
CB you asked me if Portglenone are having problems and are "considering an amalgamation". What the fcuk sort of a question is that! We are in rude health thank you and our target (on our own) is to get within a beagles gowl of the mighty Erin's Own.
The question was posed to provoke the answer given BS......so what is all the talk on problems within and talk of amalgamation about.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 13, 2016, 01:57:18 PM
Quote from: Galer on December 13, 2016, 01:32:48 PM
If belfast clubs dont have the numbers there is little hope for the rest of us.Maybe Belfast would enjoy more success with the nos if croke park would give our county the required funding.but maybe the clubs need to work harder instead of looking for an easy way out.
Agree Galer and it is my belief that this call to amalgamation does ring loud from within the 'big clubs' in South Antrim and indeed some need to have a good look within.
The last club to go outa business was Mc Dermott's a few years back, and at such juncture a leading club had grabbed at least a couple of their former players.

How does it ring loud from the big clubs? ourselves Rossa the Johnnies Sarsfields seem to be certainly at under 10's up have great numbers at their respective training sessions... things look healthy but the problem when it gets to senior is keeping lads at the club... I've no idea why that is, they lack parish association? Possibly some lack of identity maybe, who knows I just know looking in from blue tinted glasses that kids nowadays lose loyalty very quickly...

Parish clubs don't have that problem, demographics change but they bounce back and produce a great team every so often... city teams should with the numbers they have do better... could argue volunteers or you could argue poor coaching or just a bad bunch.... the fact still remains there are too many Belfast clubs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Same as last year. PRO. Why?

bannside

Maybe I fell for that then CB lol. Anyway my final stance on amalgamations. Only when it is absolutely necessary and player centred - meaning no juvenile misses a match because his club can't field. Simple enough?

Referee...What's your angle?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on December 13, 2016, 08:58:10 PM
Maybe I fell for that then CB lol. Anyway my final stance on amalgamations. Only when it is absolutely necessary and player centred - meaning no juvenile misses a match because his club can't field. Simple enough?

Referee...What's your angle?

I wouldn't bite Bannside
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 13, 2016, 02:13:33 PM
throwing money at Belfast will solve nothing. it wont make players turn up for training's or encourage kids to want to learn the skills or instil the desire to compete.  the work must be done from within the clubs themselves.

Belfast as a population for playing is massive compared to any country club. Look at Glenariffe, they have a small area to pick from, small village yet they field at every level in hurling. They have competed backwards and forwards at the top level for the past no of years. How does that work yet a club in Belfast struggles to field with 10 times the nos to pick from.  I know its been dragged out but Sneill as a club are the prime example of making it work.

Is there any research to show the population of an area around a GAA pitch in Belfast and the actual playing/participation percentage? something like that would highlight say for example 'browns road' has 40 houses within 1000m of the ground and X% are involved with the club.

Sounds a bit flimsy but in essence it would give guides as to how much of the area around the club are involved or would be interested in being involved. never mind casement or other business ventures the survival of the GAA in Belfast should be top of the agenda and not taking the easy option and merge clubs together.

I think a big focus has to be in the primary schools with pupils getting a good standard of coaching being brought in and on a regular basis where kids get coached a few times a week with plenty of competition blitzes to reinforce learning.  That is what money can buy for you.

Hectic

Quote from: JimStynes on December 13, 2016, 06:24:12 PM
Throwing money at the individual clubs won't help but getting more funding for coaches in schools and promotion of the game would help a great deal. I am in charge of sport and after schools clubs in my school. I coach in KS2 one day a week and I was lucky to secure 6 weeks of football coaching for PE from a friend. But I couldn't get anyone to help with KS1 and fundamentals. Ulster Council were able to secure me 1 hour a week but it didn't suit as the hall isn't free at that time. 1 hour a week for all of KS1!! My school is crying out for help and we can't get it. The schools budget is certainly not going to allow it and my principal is certainly not going to release me from class to go and coach the younger ones. I know other schools in the area are the same.

Should have read on down before my last post!

Hectic

CB you asked me if Portglenone are having problems and are "considering an amalgamation". What the fcuk sort of a question is that! We are in rude health thank you and our target (on our own) is to get within a beagles gowl of the mighty Erin's Own.

You will need to work on mentality then.  I have not saw Cargin clear up at underage in recent years but they still bring enough through and have that solid mentality to remain at the top.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hectic on December 14, 2016, 11:45:14 AM

You will need to work on mentality then.  I have not saw Cargin clear up at underage in recent years but they still bring enough through and have that solid mentality to remain at the top.

You only need one or two good players each year to make the grade and move into a well oiled machine........ as long as the coaching/training  is of a good standard then the lads will mature and fit in, its not a complex thing

paddyjohn

It is getting harder for all clubs, both in the city and the country to field teams. It doesn't help when other sports are now so readily available. When I went to school we played football and hurling, now kids in our club are playing rugby, soccer & basketball outside term time and it's having serious affect on us. They play all winter and then want a summer off etc. I've spoken to other people from different clubs & counties and they find the same. Do we stop our youth playing other sports? We need to sell ourselves more with a sense of pride. Rugby is having a serious effect in Munster with free gear etc outside schools, the same is starting here.

Developing the game in the city is as complex topic as you'll get. The smaller clubs will want to stay in business and rightly so, while some "big" clubs seem to consider these clubs as a hindrance and want shot of them and cherry pick who they want for their own means and will use almalgamation as an excuse.

As far as quality coaching goes, the fact that the GAA is considered as a babysitting service for some doesn't help. How many parents drop the kids off for an hour so they can go to the shops and get some head peace?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 14, 2016, 08:56:59 PM
It is getting harder for all clubs, both in the city and the country to field teams. It doesn't help when other sports are now so readily available. When I went to school we played football and hurling, now kids in our club are playing rugby, soccer & basketball outside term time and it's having serious affect on us. They play all winter and then want a summer off etc. I've spoken to other people from different clubs & counties and they find the same. Do we stop our youth playing other sports? We need to sell ourselves more with a sense of pride. Rugby is having a serious effect in Munster with free gear etc outside schools, the same is starting here.

Developing the game in the city is as complex topic as you'll get. The smaller clubs will want to stay in business and rightly so, while some "big" clubs seem to consider these clubs as a hindrance and want shot of them and cherry pick who they want for their own means and will use almalgamation as an excuse.

As far as quality coaching goes, the fact that the GAA is considered as a babysitting service for some doesn't help. How many parents drop the kids off for an hour so they can go to the shops and get some head peace?

Hindrance?? They have no bearing on how 'the big clubs' whatever that means... the smaller clubs aren't fielding ya muppet, has nothing to do with clubs that have higher numbers... Belfast have only one or two one coded clubs, for me that is a factor in getting larger squads.. different in my day when all the lads hurled whether they liked it or not, parents never had a say

delgany

They definitely like to " cherry pick " the best underage talent from the "smaller" clubs .  Some young players and their parents only interested in getting medals to massage their egos. I wonder will the need to massage egos fall under remit of health and well being committee.in supporting transfers

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 14, 2016, 11:04:21 PM

Hindrance?? They have no bearing on how 'the big clubs' whatever that means... the smaller clubs aren't fielding ya muppet, has nothing to do with clubs that have higher numbers... Belfast have only one or two one coded clubs, for me that is a factor in getting larger squads.. different in my day when all the lads hurled whether they liked it or not, parents never had a say

I prefer you didn't insult me by calling me a muppet. Rightly or wrongly it's my opinion and I am adding my view into the discussion.

Your arrogance really does you no favours MR2.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 15, 2016, 12:02:49 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 14, 2016, 11:04:21 PM

I prefer you didn't insult me by calling me a muppet. Rightly or wrongly it's my opinion and I am adding my view into the discussion.

Your arrogance really does you no favours MR2.

Hindrance.... explain how it's a hindrance?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on December 15, 2016, 12:00:55 AM
They definitely like to " cherry pick " the best underage talent from the "smaller" clubs .  Some young players and their parents only interested in getting medals to massage their egos. I wonder will the need to massage egos fall under remit of health and well being committee.in supporting transfers

You understand that there is no real parish clubs in Belfast? People go to a club based on family first, influences at a school, friends ask their friends to join them and yes medal chasing parents send their kids to a 'bigger club' but cherry picking? That's city GAA there is no other way unfortunately... if I lived in the area/parish of club now I'd have no team to play for! Your argument/post is pointless there is no system that works for city GAA... the transfer thing ended up stopping kids playing though I did agree with it in principle