Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2019, 12:48:06 PM
Division 4 still requires a lot of commitment and that's harder for older guys to give. These guys are not not being picked - they aren't available unless I am mistaken?

Who are these qualified men? Do you mean outsiders?

I mean anyone.....as long as they are qualified.....and can drag stayaways back.( and not the old boys even though MR doesnt seem to realise what age his clubmates are)

Spike

Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2019, 01:52:10 PM
McKeever v Lenny Harbinson in the last interview process. Lenny has more in his bag without a doubt.

Does he? Our best talent seemingly dont agree. He certainly had more ex-team mates in the interview panel.

Spike

Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2019, 02:47:38 PM
Quote from: Spike on March 09, 2019, 02:40:15 PM
Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2019, 01:52:10 PM
McKeever v Lenny Harbinson in the last interview process. Lenny has more in his bag without a doubt.

Does he? Our best talent seemingly dont agree. He certainly had more ex-team mates in the interview panel.
He's the only man to take an Antrim club to All Ireland glory, so, yes.
If players aren't playing for him - that happens. I don't think there is anything to suggest it wouldn't have happened to McKeever as well.Let's not forget that McKeever was run out of Coalisland early last season and they went on to win the Tyrone championship.

Lets not forget Lenny took an established succesful team that had already been to an AI. Its not like he took say,Rossa to an AI win. Guess we'll never know about mckeever though he certainly would have had more say with the SW stayaways, cant say about the city stay aways. Would have at least been a 'seemingly' fresh approach rather than a continuation of the same dross

Spike

Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2019, 04:41:02 PM
Jeez, way to take away from a man guiding a club to an All Ireland title! "They were a good team anyway"  ::)
Whatever you think. For me, his managerial success stacks very well against anything we have in the county, McKeever included and I imagine that influenced the decision to appoint him a lot more than a postcode.
I don't think that will satisfy the chip on your shoulder though.

Hey, no chip here, i just want a decent manager for once.    Proof is in the pudding - Lennys just another dud by the looks of it.  There for all to see. Cheapest man got the job.

Ps if youre going to quote me in brackets at least use the correct wording.

paddyjohn

Did McKeever win an AI IFC title with Fr Rocks?

bannside

Yes PJ. Cookstown beat the Kerry champs in the final. John was 32 at the time. Still young enough to have a proper crack at Antrim in the near future. If you talk to the vast majority of the players in the two clubs he has taken since, Ballinderry Shamrocks and Na Fianna Coalisland, most of whom were present at his brothers wake, you will have no doubt of the esteem in which he is held. He certainly wasn't run out of Coalisland, things happen in management especially in a third year, and I know for a fact John and Conleith Gilligan were an exceptionally well considered management team.

Of course Kevin Madden has obvious credentials almost landing a treble last year with Creggan. Both know their way round a football team, I don't think anyone should dispute that, regardless of where they are from.

In any event Lenny has the job and hopefully he can put something memorable or competitive together in the next few months and he deserves our full support whilst he tries to turn things around. As I said before our performances were decent up until the Waterford game, and maybe he got a bit complacent when we came from behind to go five points up. It happens.

At the same time the league table doesn't lie and tbh it's very painful reading atm.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 09, 2019, 06:10:57 PM

Yes brilliant so should Seamus Shannon get the Antrim senior hurling job as  he's won intermediate hurling with Rossa and won Antrim championship as a player. More than McKeever
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on March 09, 2019, 06:43:20 PM
Yes PJ. Cookstown beat the Kerry champs in the final. John was 32 at the time. Still young enough to have a proper crack at Antrim in the near future. If you talk to the vast majority of the players in the two clubs he has taken since, Ballinderry Shamrocks and Na Fianna Coalisland, most of whom were present at his brothers wake, you will have no doubt of the esteem in which he is held. He certainly wasn't run out of Coalisland, things happen in management especially in a third year, and I know for a fact John and Conleith Gilligan were an exceptionally well considered management team.

Of course Kevin Madden has obvious credentials almost landing a treble last year with Creggan. Both know their way round a football team, I don't think anyone should dispute that, regardless of where they are from.

In any event Lenny has the job and hopefully he can put something memorable or competitive together in the next few months and he deserves our full support whilst he tries to turn things around. As I said before our performances were decent up until the Waterford game, and maybe he got a bit complacent when we came from behind to go five points up. It happens.

At the same time the league table doesn't lie and tbh it's very painful reading atm.

Yeah BS, spoke to a few of the players at Pauls wake, a surreal experience sharing a minibus with a few AI winners. John is held on high esteem and I'm not surprised. A man who carries himself with great dignity and class.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 09, 2019, 09:41:14 PM
Quote from: bannside on March 09, 2019, 06:43:20 PM

Yeah BS, spoke to a few of the players at Pauls wake, a surreal experience sharing a minibus with a few AI winners. John is held on high esteem and I'm not surprised. A man who carries himself with great dignity and class.

Are we talking about a senior team here?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2019, 08:41:19 PM

Yes brilliant so should Seamus Shannon get the Antrim senior hurling job as  he's won intermediate hurling with Rossa and won Antrim championship as a player. More than McKeever

Why not?

Personally im in favour of a young coach. Id like to see John get a go

Those boys in their 30s are still unfortunatly our best players....still good enough to get us out of Div 4. Life gets in the way but would be nice to have at least a few of them to have assisted brjnging younger players on.

We lost 3 games by a point....if we had (to take 1 example) say Tomas McCann we may well have won all 3.

Would John McKeever have been more likely to cajole a Tomas out (or say he would be happy to work round his work and family schedule)....i dont know.

Are the current mgt team too rigid re attendance at everything......i dont know. 

Just disapointed as a fan that we went from a resurgence of sorts 10 yrs ago for a few years to the bottom. Those days in Clones, Tullamore and Newbridge were class....like we suddenly had a proper county team. Besting Meath in Div 2 at Casement.

Kerry football fans are notoriously demanding re their team.  Here we dont have radio shows discussing our team or holding the mgt to account...we have about 5 of us who care on Gaaboard discussing it
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

paddyjohn

You're being a bit disrespectful there to Mr Shannon and also John McKeever. Any All Ireland is hard won as you know. I'm sure John could of tapped into the knowledge of Peter Canavan and also Mickey Harte if advice was needed. Youth is the way forward and a young coach sometimes deserves a chance.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 10, 2019, 01:02:26 PM

You're being a bit disrespectful there to Mr Shannon and also John McKeever. Any All Ireland is hard won as you know. I'm sure John could of tapped into the knowledge of Peter Canavan and also Mickey Harte if advice was needed. Youth is the way forward and a young coach sometimes deserves a chance.

Jody Gormley? No disrespect at all, I ask the question should Shannon get the job (should he ask) because he won an Antrim senior title as a player and coached his club to intermediate glory at Croke?

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2019, 02:13:07 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 10, 2019, 01:02:26 PM

Jody Gormley? No disrespect at all, I ask the question should Shannon get the job (should he ask) because he won an Antrim senior title as a player and coached his club to intermediate glory at Croke?

Why wouldn't he ask? If he had confidence in his own ability to manage the hurlers get his name in the hat surely.

BrendanAntrim

Just disapointed as a fan that we went from a resurgence of sorts 10 yrs ago for a few years to the bottom. Those days in Clones, Tullamore and Newbridge were class....like we suddenly had a proper county team. Besting Meath in Div 2 at Casement.

Kerry football fans are notoriously demanding re their team.  Here we dont have radio shows discussing our team or holding the mgt to account...we have about 5 of us who care on Gaaboard discussing it

Very well said and this sums it up for me. Jeez, for a few years there I never missed a match. My kids, admittedly they are older now and more wordly wise, pestered me to go to every game, with no worries about distance. And we went - some brilliant days and nights  that I hoped were the start of something, rather than the effing highlight of a lifetime supporting the Saffrons. Now I can barley convince myself to go to Corrigan. On my own.

Pjoe

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 10, 2019, 05:31:00 PM

Very well said and this sums it up for me. Jeez, for a few years there I never missed a match. My kids, admittedly they are older now and more wordly wise, pestered me to go to every game, with no worries about distance. And we went - some brilliant days and nights  that I hoped were the start of something, rather than the effing highlight of a lifetime supporting the Saffrons. Now I can barley convince myself to go to Corrigan. On my own.

Interesting point you raise Brendan & its a circular issue. On the one hand supporters demand and deserve a team winning and progressing up the divisions. On the other hand the players & management deserve to have supporters turn out to back them (regardless of results). Players feed off supporters and will raise their game.

However, when you have 86 (maybe 20 from Antrim) as a total crowd in Waterford you can kind of see why it was a flat performance. Not saying that excuses the flat and poor performance on and off the pitch. But I could also argue its less effort for the supporters to turn out for a game than it is for the players to commit to 3,4,5 sessions a week. So I think the apathy from lots of people within the county seeps through to the players. If "regular punters" within the county really wanted to effect a change in the fortunes of Antrim football then the easiest and most impactful thing they can do is attend the games. Don't underestimate the impact this would have on players & management and as a consequence their performances. Like I say its a circular issue and EVERYONE has their part to play (and not just on forums like this).