China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 21, 2020, 12:02:51 PM
Quote from: five points on July 21, 2020, 11:25:06 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 20, 2020, 11:40:26 PM

But again, as I said before - far easier to keep the airports shut for a few months and ride this out with a functioning internal economy than to try and be too cute and end up needing more lockdowns.

You can't have a functioning internal economy if the airports are shut.

Of course you can.

Outside of tourism & commercial aerospace, any industry that cannot operate on tele/video calls or things like skype, slack or similar in this day and age need their heads examined.

Tourism? Well, if people cannot leave the country and want a holiday, then they have to holiday on the island.

Now, aerospace as I know firsthand will effectively be shuttered - but that comprises what percentage of the population and economy? Closing it for 12 months is minor compared to another lockdown lasting just a week or two.

It's unfortunately not as simple as that RadioGAAGAA
And what about our specialized manufacturing industry where we need to send highly trained technical engineers to commission and set up the equipment that is being exported?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LeoMc on July 21, 2020, 10:49:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2020, 11:22:01 PM

Let's say you fly back from the USA, you quarantine for 14 days, the reason for quarantining that length of time is why?

Does the time of catching it and a positive result not show for 14 days?
I think the early information was that symptoms would not show for 5-14 days after transmission.

Getting symptoms and that time period i get, what was confusing me was if you contract it, can the tests not tell after a couple of days that you have it? a bit like the pregnancy test?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 21, 2020, 12:08:53 PMIt's unfortunately not as simple as that RadioGAAGAA

It pretty needs to be looked at that simply - either make international connections digital or run a strong risk of reintroducing the thing en mass to the population. Neither are good options, which is least worse?

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 21, 2020, 12:08:53 PM
And what about our specialized manufacturing industry where we need to send highly trained technical engineers to commission and set up the equipment that is being exported?

It'd need to be done remotely and/or by bringing in subcontractors that are near where the gear is being setup. I know that's really crap and will mean a long slow laborious process which pleases no-one when compared to the norm... but that is still lightyears better than more shutdowns.
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 21, 2020, 05:34:22 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 21, 2020, 12:08:53 PMIt's unfortunately not as simple as that RadioGAAGAA

It pretty needs to be looked at that simply - either make international connections digital or run a strong risk of reintroducing the thing en mass to the population. Neither are good options, which is least worse?

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 21, 2020, 12:08:53 PM

It'd need to be done remotely and/or by bringing in subcontractors that are near where the gear is being setup. I know that's really crap and will mean a long slow laborious process which pleases no-one when compared to the norm... but that is still lightyears better than more shutdowns.

I don't necessarily disagree with you here Radio, but the devil's advocate in me means I have to stir the pot a little.

So here goes.

Clearly lockdown was the integral part of preventing a widespread Covid pandemic. Nobody can question that.

But it would ostensibly seem there is now enough evidence available about Covid's lethal potential, for  the general population to make their own judgements on whether it is more of winter flu, or a Spanish flu, in terms of how much it should be feared.

And what I reckon the government are doing is trying to reflect the will of the people, while not quite throwing the ball over the wall.

With the will of the people being one that questions is it worth destroying some economic sectors, or financially ruining the country to keep economic sectors afloat, in order to fend off something that isn't any way efficient at killing people.

Closing airports indefinitely? Is that what we really voted in our politicians to do?

ONeill

It does seem that way.

You make a call - if you get it, it's on you. If you pass it onto someone else - it's on your conscience.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Seems to be a decent crowd at this PSG Celtic friendly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

We could've caught it and passed it on and never knew we had it!

The virus will be with us just like the flu, it's not going away, or won't be away in our life time like the flu!

So the sooner we get a handle on treating it and vaccinating safely the better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

larryin89

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2020, 07:36:25 PM

The virus will be with us just like the flu, it's not going away, or won't be away in our life time like the flu!

A panel of experts in Ireland only last week said the opposite and it was very possible to get Ireland down to a covid free zone entirely??
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: larryin89 on July 21, 2020, 07:42:44 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2020, 07:36:25 PM

A panel of experts in Ireland only last week said the opposite and it was very possible to get Ireland down to a covid free zone entirely??

The expert from Oxford who's heading up the vaccine tests said this! Who da f**k do we listen too?

Oh wait trailer and smurphy

imtommygunn

Has it not been reclassified as an endemic? aka not going away? (Disclaimer not an expert on what that means but that's my interpretation)

larryin89

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 21, 2020, 07:54:55 PM
Has it not been reclassified as an endemic? aka not going away? (Disclaimer not an expert on what that means but that's my interpretation)

Definitely no expert here , just trying like everyone else to read from the experts but all along we have seen some really different forecasts from these experts .

When people say it will never go away , does that mean we will be socially distancing for the rest of our lives ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: larryin89 on July 21, 2020, 08:01:16 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 21, 2020, 07:54:55 PM

Definitely no expert here , just trying like everyone else to read from the experts but all along we have seen some really different forecasts from these experts .

When people say it will never go away , does that mean we will be socially distancing for the rest of our lives ?

No, but he mentioned that like flu, we should stay away from people when they have symptoms and just sanitise and wash hands regularly.

imtommygunn

I wouldn't think so. It will just need to be managed. Chicken pox etc are endemics but they are just managed better. This is still in the stages where it's not fully understood so can't be managed as well or really managed at all.

* disclaimer still no expert :D

Rossfan

Wasn't much heed on social distancing at that Jack Charlton tribute in Dublin >:(.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM