China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Here is what I don't get. Why is competitive contact sports up and down the country scheduled to return next month, with groups of fellas and girls playing against another random group living in a different place, whilst it will be a phased return for kids going back to school in September? I just don't get that? Im not saying football shouldn't or should be back on, but if it is you would think schools back to something resembling normality would happen also? Instead parents are getting ridiculous letters out with one kid in a couple of days and another kid in on other days. It just doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought, especially in primary school, that the same teacher, teaching the same kids all week, would be less risky in relation to potential spread of the virus than a group of adults playing football against a different group week in week out? Is the difference in tact coming from government/scientific advice or is it pressure from teaching unions?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: HiMucker on June 18, 2020, 11:47:43 AM
Here is what I don't get. Why is competitive contact sports up and down the country scheduled to return next month, with groups of fellas and girls playing against another random group living in a different place, whilst it will be a phased return for kids going back to school in September? I just don't get that? Im not saying football shouldn't or should be back on, but if it is you would think schools back to something resembling normality would happen also? Instead parents are getting ridiculous letters out with one kid in a couple of days and another kid in on other days. It just doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought, especially in primary school, that the same teacher, teaching the same kids all week, would be less risky in relation to potential spread of the virus than a group of adults playing football against a different group week in week out? Is the difference in tact coming from government/scientific advice or is it pressure from teaching unions?

Sports outside, less risk of transmission, less prolonged close contact.

Schools inside, higher risk of transmission, longer close contact.

HiMucker

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 18, 2020, 11:49:37 AM

Yes, but surely the sports will have a much closer contact albeit for much shorter period of time? Im sure its been mentioned on here, but 1m closed contact for 1 min carries the equivalent corona virus risk as 15 mins at 2m? So you would need to work out the risk of repeated 5 sec tackling at 2 inches face to face compared to kids being relatively spaced out in the classroom and playing outdoors. I honestly think the sports carry a much a greater risk, but again Im not saying that risk is high enough for it not to go ahead.

RadioGAAGAA

Dunno. Don't think the contact sport thing is completely thought through.

Heavy breathing in close proximity & exchange of sweat* will provide copious opportunity for shed virus to jump from one person to another.

*arms & hands brush all the time in tackles or challenges for the ball. Then its just a matter of running the back of yer arm across your nose. Something frequently done when there is loads of pollen about.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 18, 2020, 01:29:34 PM

Heavy breathing in close proximity & exchange of sweat* will provide copious opportunity for shed virus to jump from one person to another.

*arms & hands brush all the time in tackles or challenges for the ball. Then its just a matter of running the back of yer arm across your nose. Something frequently done when there is loads of pollen about.

Absolutely, not saying I disagree with yourself or HiMucker....but that is the train of thought with regards to sport v school above.

Seems they are quite happy outside is (nearly) risk free with regards to Covid now, which is nearly the complete opposite to when the whole thing kicked off.

God14

Confirmed cases/P1 tests, *last 72h*:

Antrim/Newtownabbey 0/115
Ards/North Down 7/201
Armagh B&C 1/266
Belfast 2/601
Causeway C&G 0/171
Derry/Strabane 0/187
Fermanagh/Omagh 0/178
Lisburn/Castlereagh 3/215
Mid/East Antrim 0/122
Mid Ulster 0/178
Newry M&D 0/142
Non-assigned 1/105

Info stole from twitter (Ian Parsley) but it seems the case figures in the North are centred around Ards and North Down Council areas.
Very frustrating we don't have more information on these cases, are there clusters or patterns that the rest of us could learn from?
Also if we were to eradicate the problem in Ards and North Down we would be in a great position

J70

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 18, 2020, 01:29:34 PM

At least in pro-soccer, they're testing those lads a couple of times per week.

Amateur level sports may be a different issue.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: God14 on June 18, 2020, 01:49:48 PM

Ards/North Down 7/201
Armagh B&C 1/266
Belfast 2/601
Causeway C&G 0/171
Derry/Strabane 0/187
Fermanagh/Omagh 0/178
Mid/East Antrim 0/122
Mid Ulster 0/178
Newry M&D 0/142
Non-assigned 1/105

Info stole from twitter (Ian Parsley) but it seems the case figures in the North are centred around Ards and North Down Council areas.
Very frustrating we don't have more information on these cases, are there clusters or patterns that the rest of us could learn from?
Also if we were to eradicate the problem in Ards and North Down we would be in a great position

The current testing "setup" is a load of shite.

Relative of the missus had symptoms. Eventually got tested in a centre a week ago after haggling to avoid a home kit that would no doubt have been used incorrectly*. No word back after several days. Numerous calls later, turns out they don't know where the test is and the relative isn't on the system. Even if it had worked, your still waiting a couple of days for results. That is far too slow.

*I wonder how many are getting sent home kits then doing incorrect tests that yield incorrect results. As usual, public services taking the f**king easy way out even if it means no clear picture of reality. From what I've been told of how the tests are performed - a home test kit is essentially worse than useless (assuming you've got it in the absence of a result is better than going about your business on the back of a false negative) as the samples will not have been taken from where they need to be.
i usse an speelchekor

God14

Updated figures

P1 tests (positive/total) 5-18 June:

Antrim/Newtownabbey 2/656
Ards/North Down 36/1116
Armagh B&C 4/1092
Belfast 13/2213
Causeway C&G 1/723
Derry/Strabane 0/941
Fermanagh/Omagh 0/730
Lisburn/Castlereagh 13/939
Mid/East Antrim 5/648
Mid Ulster 4/680
Newry M&D 3/1491
Unknown 6/506

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 18, 2020, 02:05:15 PM

Ards/North Down 7/201
Armagh B&C 1/266
Belfast 2/601
Causeway C&G 0/171
Derry/Strabane 0/187
Fermanagh/Omagh 0/178
Mid/East Antrim 0/122
Mid Ulster 0/178
Newry M&D 0/142
Non-assigned 1/105

Relative of the missus had symptoms. Eventually got tested in a centre a week ago after haggling to avoid a home kit that would no doubt have been used incorrectly*. No word back after several days. Numerous calls later, turns out they don't know where the test is and the relative isn't on the system. Even if it had worked, your still waiting a couple of days for results. That is far too slow.

*I wonder how many are getting sent home kits then doing incorrect tests that yield incorrect results. As usual, public services taking the f**king easy way out even if it means no clear picture of reality. From what I've been told of how the tests are performed - a home test kit is essentially worse than useless (assuming you've got it in the absence of a result is better than going about your business on the back of a false negative) as the samples will not have been taken from where they need to be.

Absolutely, they've never had any true intent in going down this path.

God14

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 18, 2020, 02:05:15 PM

Ards/North Down 7/201
Armagh B&C 1/266
Belfast 2/601
Causeway C&G 0/171
Derry/Strabane 0/187
Fermanagh/Omagh 0/178
Mid/East Antrim 0/122
Mid Ulster 0/178
Newry M&D 0/142
Non-assigned 1/105

I wasn't aware of the home testing going on. Anyone I know who has got tested (mid ulster area) travelled to Antrim hospital for a drive thru test.

God14

Almost 45% of positive tests in June, in the North, occurred in an area which is occupied by 8% of the population

Something surely up here?

johnnycool

Quote from: God14 on June 18, 2020, 02:35:36 PM
Almost 45% of positive tests in June, in the North, occurred in an area which is occupied by 8% of the population

Alliance twitterati are imply loads, but no concrete talk of what or where the outbreak is!

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: johnnycool on June 18, 2020, 02:48:47 PM
Quote from: God14 on June 18, 2020, 02:35:36 PM

Alliance twitterati are imply loads, but no concrete talk of what or where the outbreak is!

Did Rob Swann not say that it had occured more in afleunt areas which was a complete contradiction of a recent report of cases??

HiMucker

Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2020, 12:05:29 PM
You are making out as though schools are the only part of society that are taking social distancing measures. They aren't. It's happening left, right and centre. Shops, pubs, restaurants will all have restrictions. Workplaces, offices etc the same. Indeed, contact sport is the outlier here.
I'm really not, I'm merely looking for the rationale to explain the bit in bold. The rest of the examples you give are business's that deal with the public and have no control over who those members of the public are. Schools are a much more controlled environment. I don't want this to descend in to the sort of teacher slating crap you see on here. I supported teachers and school closures and thought it was an unnecessary risk/reward to have them reopen again before the summer break. However I cant help but detect a certain level of resistance now in terms of starting back to school in September, more along the lines of the pace wider society is moving at. I know plenty of teachers who share these concerns also who have confirmed a certain irrational resistance among their colleagues compared to other sectors of employment. Changing of the school hours would be one of the biggest, if not the biggest upheavals in society regarding employment, not including job losses obviously, caused by this pandemic. I think its only reasonable that people will question this, especially if the changes look out of sync with what is happening in other sectors.