China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2020, 09:39:02 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 01, 2020, 08:40:32 PM
5 months in they need to reflect on why there is still a large outbreak in a factory and ensure that it is the last one.

Because one person gets it and it's spreads in a factory environment quicker.. you can put in all the measures you want but it can't always make it 100% safe.

Getting it caught is a good thing, and tracing helps. Hopefully we've no fatalities from it
That's the main hope. Cluster cases indoors will continue to be a an issue for a long time to come.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on August 01, 2020, 10:25:45 PM
5 months in they need to reflect on why there is still a large outbreak in a factory and ensure that it is the last one.

Because one person gets it and it's spreads in a factory environment quicker.. you can put in all the measures you want but it can't always make it 100% safe.

I bet you €50 that all the required measures were not operated properly.

Don't think you can say that. Could worker's for example be sharing accommodation outside of work?

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on August 01, 2020, 10:44:42 PM

Don't think you can say that. Could worker's for example be sharing accommodation outside of work?

That might explain how someone got Covid, but not why it spread in the factory.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on August 01, 2020, 10:55:58 PM

Working is a struggle for everyone! Even hospitals couldn't get it right... I wouldn't be too harsh people don't intentionally pass it on, employees and employers are all responsible. I'm sure it wasn't their intention..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2020, 11:03:37 PM

Working is a struggle for everyone! Even hospitals couldn't get it right... I wouldn't be too harsh people don't intentionally pass it on, employees and employers are all responsible. I'm sure it wasn't their intention..

At least hospitals were hit early on, when the virus was relatively unknown.

What excuse is there now? Airborne transmission is well established now.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on August 02, 2020, 12:03:50 AM

At least hospitals were hit early on, when the virus was relatively unknown.

What excuse is there now? Airborne transmission is well established now.

But if the company is following procedures and carrying out Covid risk assessments then it's the duty of staff to follow and enforce it...

outside of work it's impossible to manage.. but the government's have opened up so it's going to happen, these clusters will continue to throw up spikes, again we've been managing better the treatments
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

They need to investigate and find out what the problem was. Perhaps it was unanticipated, perhaps it was cutting corners, but they need to understand it and make it does not happen elsewhere.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on August 02, 2020, 12:48:08 AM

They need to investigate and find out what the problem was. Perhaps it was unanticipated, perhaps it was cutting corners, but they need to understand it and make it does not happen elsewhere.
Extroplating what is happening in meat processing factories in the north, a lot of them are employing foreign nationals who are packed into shared accommodation outside their shift in the factory so there is no escaping the risk.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/08/01/elderly-may-asked-stay-home-ministers-blueprint-avoid-new-lockdown/

Elderly may be asked to stay at home under UK ministers' blueprint to avoid new lockdown

Enhanced shielding, tighter local measures and sealing off the capital are among proposals to be explored

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

My point is you don't know it spread in the factory. Many meat factories employ cheap labour from Eastern Europe and elsewhere, I can think of one that is all Brazilian and another Pakistani. These minority groups live in very isolated pods in the towns. There is also the warm bed phenomenon where worker A does 12 hour shift and worker B comes home from his 12 hour shift and takes worker A bed.

I cant say whether the company in this case had good precautions but id find it incredible if they were ignoring covid. Where I work we are struggling with people behaviours at work. As lockdiwn has eased people are becoming complacent and when you turn your back not adhering to social distancing. We were thinking about using disciplinary process against those people but then we figured people would deny their close contacts  if they had it for fear of getting a warning. Factories and places of work do not have it easy in this thing.

Milltown Row2

Continued advice and training and monitoring is the only way, discipline procedures should be the very last resort.

Factory employers are not responsible for their staff after working hours, unless they also supply the accommodation

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Itchy on August 02, 2020, 09:03:37 AM

My point is you don't know it spread in the factory. Many meat factories employ cheap labour from Eastern Europe and elsewhere, I can think of one that is all Brazilian and another Pakistani. These minority groups live in very isolated pods in the towns. There is also the warm bed phenomenon where worker A does 12 hour shift and worker B comes home from his 12 hour shift and takes worker A bed.

I cant say whether the company in this case had good precautions but id find it incredible if they were ignoring covid. Where I work we are struggling with people behaviours at work. As lockdiwn has eased people are becoming complacent and when you turn your back not adhering to social distancing. We were thinking about using disciplinary process against those people but then we figured people would deny their close contacts  if they had it for fear of getting a warning. Factories and places of work do not have it easy in this thing.

The labour in meat factories isn't cheap, it's bloody hard work though, too hard for the locals. Majority of workers though are here to make money, they will reduce costs by living 6 to 8 in a 3 bedroom house. These guys depending on their skill level earn €10 to €20 an hour.

We will experience these random spikes but we need to learn and be better going forward.

I am on holidays and after spending 4 days in Waterford and West Cork, where there was loads of social distancing and patience, now in Kenmare, shocking levels of complacency regarding social distancing and masks. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry was hit with a spike in 2 weeks.
#newbridgeornowhere

highorlow

QuoteI am on holidays and after spending 4 days in Waterford and West Cork, where there was loads of social distancing and patience, now in Kenmare, shocking levels of complacency regarding social distancing and masks. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry was hit with a spike in 2 weeks.

Just reading an article in the paper where St. Tropez is party central for the last few weeks with zero social distancing and zero mask wearing yet no "spike" just yet.

Good to see that France has no increase in hospitalisation over the last while either.

Sweden's economic statistics due out next week, they should make for an interesting debate whatever the outcome.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Itchy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2020, 10:34:10 AM
Quote from: Itchy on August 02, 2020, 09:03:37 AM

The labour in meat factories isn't cheap, it's bloody hard work though, too hard for the locals. Majority of workers though are here to make money, they will reduce costs by living 6 to 8 in a 3 bedroom house. These guys depending on their skill level earn €10 to €20 an hour.

We will experience these random spikes but we need to learn and be better going forward.

I am on holidays and after spending 4 days in Waterford and West Cork, where there was loads of social distancing and patience, now in Kenmare, shocking levels of complacency regarding social distancing and masks. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry was hit with a spike in 2 weeks.

Fair enough if not cheap, my point was that they are foreign workers primarily, as you say living in large numbers in their own pods. There is not much a factory can do to stop Covid if that is how their employees live when they finish work.

imtommygunn

Quote from: highorlow on August 02, 2020, 11:41:04 AM
QuoteI am on holidays and after spending 4 days in Waterford and West Cork, where there was loads of social distancing and patience, now in Kenmare, shocking levels of complacency regarding social distancing and masks. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry was hit with a spike in 2 weeks.

Just reading an article in the paper where St. Tropez is party central for the last few weeks with zero social distancing and zero mask wearing yet no "spike" just yet.

Good to see that France has no increase in hospitalisation over the last while either.

Sweden's economic statistics due out next week, they should make for an interesting debate whatever the outcome.

A spike will only happen if there is somebody in one of these gatherings to spread it so any large gathering may or may not spread things. The more people have of them the more likely they are though.

I would still suspect Sweden's economy will take a big enough hit as even without lockdown people are probably more paranoid.