The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

I Know that, what's your point? Usually people here would be shouting for any British and/or Irish Sportsperson but support for Murray is very limited.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

All of a Sludden

There is a lot of apathy towards Murray in Engerland because of his "anyone but England" comments a few years ago. He is Scottish after all.

Game on, one set all.

The crowd would sicken your happiness though.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Hardy

Fascinating battle. Federer shows what a champion is by winning the second set having been kicked up and down the court all through it.

Captain Obvious

Andy Murray's girlfriend = hot.

Minder

Really enjoyed that, end to end stuff.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

Once the roof closed Federer could do little wrong, Murray was fantastic in this final however on the couple of occasions were he should have hit winners he bottled it, that was huge in the end.

Federer's movement is incredible and his forehand is out of this world, he and Laver stand as the two greatest players of all time, and he is only about to become 31.

Murray will win a major, he is improving all the time and i hope he does win one, that said I wish he would relax and smile once in a while, after all he has everything he could ever possibly need or want and it wouldnt kill him to take the sour look of his face now and again.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orangemac

Quote from: stew on July 08, 2012, 06:59:49 PM
Once the roof closed Federer could do little wrong, Murray was fantastic in this final however on the couple of occasions were he should have hit winners he bottled it, that was huge in the end.

Federer's movement is incredible and his forehand is out of this world, he and Laver stand as the two greatest players of all time, and he is only about to become 31.

Murray will win a major, he is improving all the time and i hope he does win one, that said I wish he would relax and smile once in a while, after all he has everything he could ever possibly need or want and it wouldnt kill him to take the sour look of his face now and again.
People said the same thing about Colin Montgomerie, it never happened. Murray seems to be just missing that 1 or 2% of mental strength required to hang in when things are going well. Doesn't matter if he is sour or not.

Having Lendl as a mentor wouldn't help much, how many Wimbeldon finals did he lose without winning one?

Minder

Quote from: Orangemac on July 08, 2012, 07:13:49 PM

People said the same thing about Colin Montgomerie, it never happened. Murray seems to be just missing that 1 or 2% of mental strength required to hang in when things are going well. Doesn't matter if he is sour or not.

Having Lendl as a mentor wouldn't help much, how many Wimbeldon finals did he lose without winning one?

Lendl won 8 Grand slams though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Orangemac on July 08, 2012, 07:13:49 PM

Agree with this. Murray is a great player but he's just in a time of 3 greater players. He's way better than the number 5 seed but can't bridge it to the lads above him. I don't see him winning a GS.

From the Bunker

Murray is 25! Federrer won Wimbledon at 22. Djokovic won Australia at 21. Nadal won French open at 19. Björn Borg won french open at 18. Jimmy Connors won US, French & Wimbledon at 22. Becker won wimbledon at 17. Lendl won French open at 25. McEnroe won US at 20. Sampras won US open at 19. Agassi won Wimbledon at 22. Jim Courier won french open at 21. Edberg won Australia Open at 19. Matts Willander won French open at 18.

All the above were/are great players. You'll notice they got the monkey of the back early in their career. Some almost under the Radar before the pressure, expectaton and fear built up. The oldest i came across was Lendl who was 25!

Orior

I dont think he needs to smile and I admire his 100% focus. If it was me I'd be checking out every bird in centre court.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trileacman

I know very little about tennis but I'd have to say that Federer seems like the most talented of any of the players I've seen, the others mostly seem to make up the gap with him by being fitter and stronger. Nadal especially seems to be just an athlete and nowhere near as technically gifted as Djokovic or Federer.

Murray is decent but could you see him beating Djokovic, Federer or Nadal in another Grand Slam final? Federer looks his best bet at beating one of them and he couldn't do it. Murray isn't a smart enough player either. Early in the match he chased a lot of lost causes whereas Federer seemed to choose his rallies that he needed.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Bill Haven

I'd rate Murray's chances of picking up a slam at about 50:50.

I certainly believe he'll get his chances in the next couple of years.

Nadal has dodgy knees and Djokovic is looking increasingly human after his insane run in 2011 and early this year.

Also Federer is getting older. He's a step slower than he was at his peak but his natural movement and quickness off the mark on grass hides it. His age will be more apparent at the other slams.

Most importantly, the age profile of the sport has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. The average age of the top 100 is over 27 for the first time. (It was more like 24 in 80s and 90s).

In the past it was common to see teenagers winning majors. With the increased physicality of the game and greater depth globally, talented youngsters are taking much longer to break through.

There's just a single teenager in the top 175 in the world, something that would have been inconceivable even 5 years ago.

All of this means that for the next two years, the current top 4 should continue to dominate with the occasional big runs from the usual suspects like Berdych, Tsonga and Soderling if he ever recovers from illness.

Juan Martin Del Potro should become a contender again but the best of the young generation (the likes of Bernard Tomic and Milos Raonic) will need at least two years development to become potential major winners in my opinion.

Anyways, apologies for the long winded post but I think Murray can take more positives than negatives from today's performance and there's no need to believe that he's missed the boat just yet.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on July 08, 2012, 11:30:40 PM
I know very little about tennis but I'd have to say that Federer seems like the most talented of any of the players I've seen, the others mostly seem to make up the gap with him by being fitter and stronger. Nadal especially seems to be just an athlete and nowhere near as technically gifted as Djokovic or Federer.

Murray is decent but could you see him beating Djokovic, Federer or Nadal in another Grand Slam final? Federer looks his best bet at beating one of them and he couldn't do it. Murray isn't a smart enough player either. Early in the match he chased a lot of lost causes whereas Federer seemed to choose his rallies that he needed.
Tiger Woods tweeted earlier that Federer is the #GOAT. He hardly ever seems to get flustered or even be out of breath. Perfect combination of brain, athleticism and skill - his forehand is something else.

I honestly think Murray will win one soon, might not be the romanticism of Wimbledon for his first slam but could nail one on in the Australian first.

ONeill

Federer reminds me of me to be honest.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.