Limerick v Mayo, Gaelic Grounds. 9/6/18.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 06, 2018, 02:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

An easy game or a potential banana skin?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Farrandeelin

A no win situation for Mayo - apart from the match obviously. Win by a lot, it's only Limerick. Scrape by, the terminal decline has set in. Lose and the terminal decline HAS set in etc.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

I'll be surprised if we don't win but the manner in which we do it is all-important. Managing to get a win by a point or two, or even three would leave me worried for the future.  The last two games against Galway worried the hell outa me and that's putting it mildly.
In the league game, we had probably the most experienced set of forwards in the land and by all accounts, the Galway full back linr was there for the taking.
Yet, Mayo's forwards were tied down without  bother and to me, that meant that without the likes of Lee, Chris and Brendan driving forward, Mayo's forwards won't win many games on their own.
To cap it all , Cillian spent much of his time off the ball "exchanging pleasantries" with whoever was nearest him and he could have got the line earlier if the ref had been more observant. He certainly wasn't enjoying his football then and indeed I thought the same could be said of all the others. All the old hands grafted hard but there seemed to be little or no understanding or cooperation between them. The almost telepathic between them that we have come to expect just wasn't there.
Ah, well that's only the league, I thought but the championship games confirms my suspicions that all's not well in the camp. For many it was a case of going through the motions- not a single outstanding display from any the lads who were magnificent in the All Ireland final last year.
The running off the shoulder attacks that Mayo were famous for never materialised, not even once, if I recall correctly. Come to think of it, was there a decent attempt at a direct attack from either side? It was a truly dreadful display from both sides.
I'm not spreading rumours or making wild assumptions but none of the side seems to be enjoying his football so far.
I know no one can ever write Mayo and maybe things will begin to fall into place once again when Sunday comes around but we'll just have to wait and see.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 06, 2018, 02:20:12 PM
An easy game or a potential banana skin?

Limerick are very poor unfortunately. Far from the very decent Limerick side of a decade ago. Should be a walk in the park for Mayo.

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo will win this at their ease, it's nearly impossible to imagine how they could contrive to lose.

Crete Boom

We have been pretty poor all season so I am expecting a sluggish hard fought win with maybe extra time a bit like Derry last year although by the sounds of it Limerick are much poorer than that Derry team.

Blowitupref

Leitrim beat Limerick by 12 points this year scoring 2-18. The OP should be asking how much will Mayo score in this game and what will the margin of victory be?

I'll go for a Mayo 14 point win with them clearing the bench early 2nd half. Limerick 1-9 Mayo 2-20.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rosnarun

not saying they wont but mayo rarely blow weaker team out of the water ,
well apart from Donegal or Roscommon
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

tippabu

mayo will win and put in as much effort as they see fit in doing it.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on June 06, 2018, 05:10:56 PM
not saying they wont but mayo rarely blow weaker team out of the water ,
well apart from Donegal or Roscommon
Mayo only blow teams out of the water that are poorly organized in defence. Donegal 2013 probably hung over after their All Ireland success and were all over the shop in defence that day v Mayo, Sligo in 2015 and they haven't learnt much going on last Sunday game v Galway and Roscommon last year who probably used up all of energy in the drawn game.

Limerick by all accounts have been poorly organized in defence all year so unless they can suddenly find a way to improve things they will be blown out of the water by Mayo on Saturday.

twohands!!!

Limerick have 1 win all year - a one-point win over Waterford in the league.

You look at what both those sides have done in the championship this year and also what has been done to the sides who beat them.

Tipperary beat Waterford by 11 and Tipperary were subsequently beaten by 11 points by Cork.
Limerick were beaten by 11 points by Clare who were subsequently beaten by 22 points by Kerry.

If Mayo don't win this and win it be a decent margin, even playing badly, they may as well shut up shop completely.

Farrandeelin

I hope our forwards can rack up a big score in this one, for a change. Also Brendan Harrison and Vaughan are reportedly injured for us. I wonder who will be in midfield? It's a worry from now on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

I'd go with something like this, strong enough team and if things are going to plan, give the older lads a rest early in the second half

Clarke

EOD
Crowe
Barrett
Keegan
Coen
Durcan

SOS / AOS (a half each)
Hanley

J Durcan
Higgins
Mcloughlin
COC
Moran
Loftus

Realistically we should win this at a canter, they finished 30th in the league, we finished 6th. Ending up with no new injuries or red cards would be nice

oliverkelly

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 07, 2018, 08:50:55 AM
I hope our forwards can rack up a big score in this one, for a change. Also Brendan Harrison and Vaughan are reportedly injured for us. I wonder who will be in midfield? It's a worry from now on.

Kevin McLoughlin and Danny Kirby were the midfield pairing against Roscommon for most the game last week believe it or not. Neil Douglas meant to have had a great game in the corner too