Down v Tyrone Ulster Championship- Setting The Record Straight !

Started by thegael, May 30, 2010, 08:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegael

Delighted we now have the chance to set the record straight versus Tyrone and to go back to what we do best - beating Tyrone in Senior Championship Football.We will beat Tyrone that I have no doubt about!

the gael takes no prisoners!

longrunsthefox

Quote from: thegael on May 30, 2010, 08:03:51 PM
Delighted we now have the chance to set the record straight versus Tyrone and to go back to what we do best - beating Tyrone in Senior Championship Football.We will beat Tyrone that I have no doubt about!

the gael takes no prisoners!

...and swarm onto the field and celebrate like you did in the Marshes in 2008  :D

Mickeys beard

Did I read somewhere this past week where Benny Coulter had a wee indirect swipe at Ricey?  Should add a bit of spice to it.
Boil the Drawers!

balladmaker

Benny might well live to regret his arrogant response when asked today would Down beat Tyrone....."Ye" .... I'm sure Mickey Harte will be playing that a few times at training.

Down South

Quote from: balladmaker on May 30, 2010, 09:59:41 PM
Benny might well live to regret his arrogant response when asked today would Down beat Tyrone....."Ye" .... I'm sure Mickey Harte will be playing that a few times at training.

Benny Coulter is certainly not an arrogant player, what would you expect him to say when asked if Down would beat Tyrone?

ONeill

Bit monotonous if Harte keeps playing that response to the players at training:

"Ye, ye, ye, ye ,ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye , ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye ,ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye ,ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye ,ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye , ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye ,ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye ,ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye , ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye ,ye, ye, "
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bcarrier

Arrogant ...for thinking the side he plays for can beat the next team they play ?

I am sure Mickey will find something else to motivate his boys. The 2008 defeat video is probably all they need.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

red hander

Quote from: Down South on May 30, 2010, 10:13:00 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on May 30, 2010, 09:59:41 PM

Benny Coulter is certainly not an arrogant player, what would you expect him to say when asked if Down would beat Tyrone?

Agreed.  Wished to feck he was from Tyrone, an excellent footballer

stew

Tyrone will win this in a canter, Down are over rated and I think Tyrone will win this by 6-7 points.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: stew on May 31, 2010, 11:41:14 PM
Tyrone will win this in a canter, Down are over rated and I think Tyrone will win this by 6-7 points.

Have to agree.  We (Down) ought to count ourselves lucky to share the same pitch as Tyrone.  ;) :)

ziggysego

I don't know, Coulter looks like he can be scared. He might spook our Tyrone men.

Testing Accessibility

yellowcard

Tyrone will win this game quite easily and set up an Armagh v Tyrone Ulster final. That Tyrone forward line will be licking their lips at the prospect of coming up against that Down defence, which is one of the poorest in Ulster.

Leo

Quote from: yellowcard on June 01, 2010, 01:46:56 PM
Tyrone will win this game quite easily and set up an Armagh v Tyrone Ulster final. That Tyrone forward line will be licking their lips at the prospect of coming up against that Down defence, which is one of the poorest in Ulster.

If we are setting the record straight maybe we should do so about the much maligned Down defence. While someway short of the finished article let's remember that this was the best defence in all four divisions of the National League. This is the defence that kept Michael Murpohy scorelss on Sunday and restricted to a single point from play earlier in the year at Ballybofey.

The defence has lacked a natural leader for some time but it does look like Colgan is growing into that role in his first real season of senior football. Garvey is competent enough at wing half and there are options to come back from injury including Duffin, Carr and, preferably, Murphy & Doyle. The main concern here is McKernan who is a good athlete but prone to lazy passes, rash tackles and going to sleep - again however he is a relative newcomer and this is the first he has played in a settled position.
The full back line on Sunday has had practically no game time in weeks, both McArdle & Rafferty being injured and Declan Rooney only coming in for his first county game of the year. Anyone who disputes Rafferty's quality hasn't been watching him much and I think the decision to deploy McArdle in defence has been vindicated and he gets better with every game. He will probably revert to the square when fully fit and I can see him doing a good job there for years, given the chance. That leaves the other corner between Daniel McCartan, Rooney, possibly young O'Hagan who looks a real prospect and maybe with luck another returnee Luke Howard.

There are very few teams about with a dominant high-fielding full back and we could be doing with one, but in the meantime what we do have is a well-drilled defence that has proven itself against the critics and has options for improvement as the season goes on – which it assuredly will.
The full back line on Sunday has had practically no game time in weeks, both McArdle & Rafferty being injured and Declan Rooney only coming in for his first county game of the year. Anyone who disputes Rafferty's quality hasn't been watching him much and I think the decision to deploy McArdle in defence has been vindicated and he gets better with every game. He will probably revert to the square when fully fit and I can see him doing a good job there for years, given the chance. That leaves the other corner between Daniel McCartan, Rooney, possibly young O'Hagan who looks a real prospect and maybe with luck another returnee Luke Howard.

There are very few teams about with a dominant high-fielding full back and we could be doing with one, but in the meantime what we do have is a well-drilled defence that has proven itself against the critics and has options for improvement as the season goes on – which it assuredly will.
Fierce tame altogether