Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I remember reading the pen pictures for the minor football final when st pauls played stinsons. The biggest other player would probably have been about 10.5 or 11 stone and Joe Quinn was listed as 13.5 lol He was huge. (I actually think he might have missed that final with a knee injury IIRC).

(Logan may have bene that big too but he was probably about 13 or 14 at that time I think).

Belfast GAA man

that St Pauls team of the 90s was some Team - Finnegans,Donnellys, MCerlain, Kennedy, Mulvenna, McGreevy etc . Think a lot of their kids though have played for St Brides which hasn't helped St Pauls in recent years. I suppose the chaps weren't in existence in the 1990s so fair enough

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2020, 02:00:11 PM
I remember reading the pen pictures for the minor football final when st pauls played stinsons. The biggest other player would probably have been about 10.5 or 11 stone and Joe Quinn was listed as 13.5 lol He was huge. (I actually think he might have missed that final with a knee injury IIRC).

(Logan may have bene that big too but he was probably about 13 or 14 at that time I think).

aye joe was very big for his age. he was like 3 stone heavier than me at that time lol to be fair he was dead on as hell to play against.

Paddy Logan was a big fella as well. same as Tony Convery too at that time. Stensions were a solid team of lads who had plenty of sucess at that time. they beat us in the minor final i think in 98 was it? the younger brother was playing in it that day in casement.
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

Ai Joe Quinn was strong as an ox but no dirt in him. I thought your strong minor teams were pre 98 but can't recall exactly - if I were to guess I would say 96. I can't find a wiki or anything with years for who won the minors.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2020, 04:13:45 PM
Ai Joe Quinn was strong as an ox but no dirt in him. I thought your strong minor teams were pre 98 but can't recall exactly - if I were to guess I would say 96. I can't find a wiki or anything with years for who won the minors.

We got to the minor football final in 88, beat by Lamhs in the final, think they had lost a couple of finals in a row during that time or leading up to it, they backboned the team that 'won' a senior championship a few years later.

But Dunloy nearly beat us in the first round that year, was a tough match down in Dunloy, they had all those flipping great hurlers on the team and we just hung on, our bus had broke down before we even left our clubhouse so we ended up getting taxis down to Dunloy! was mental thinking back. I was a 16 year old half back on that team and couldn't tell ya who I was marking but he was quick!

The majority of that team went on to win their first senior hurling title in 1990!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Dunloy have had some great footballers over the years but they mainly stuck to the hurling. You can always see it in the minors when they have the ability to commit to both they are as good as is about.

Belfast GAA man

Must b very frustrating for boys from Dunloy who pefer football...or do they not exist????????????

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on March 21, 2020, 01:50:06 PM
Must b very frustrating for boys from Dunloy who pefer football...or do they not exist????????????

they do to be fair. Conor Kinsella, Seaan Elliott, Deaglan Smith, Anton McGrath, Callum Scullion etc all love playing football and they are all in the senior hurling panel. the likes of Conal Gillan, Karl Fitzpatrick etc are all very commited footballers only but we also have a very strong soccer team here in Dunloy that are top of the Ballymena Intermediate league over teams like Glebe Rangers, Belfast Celtic, Ballymoney United etc and are wanting to push into the Irish league so its taking lads away.

the problem is that hurling is just more poplar a sport in Dunloy. Football is a second game for many and its very hard to watch at times. we have lots of good committed football people in the club and players but its always going to be second fiddle.

To put it in context, we have 2 U14 hurling teams at A & B grade and only one U14 football team. Football just isnt a good game to spectate at is the bother and the younger ones prefer the pace and intensity of the hurling over it.
hurl like f**k boi!

marty34

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 22, 2020, 10:55:37 AM

they do to be fair. Conor Kinsella, Seaan Elliott, Deaglan Smith, Anton McGrath, Callum Scullion etc all love playing football and they are all in the senior hurling panel. the likes of Conal Gillan, Karl Fitzpatrick etc are all very commited footballers only but we also have a very strong soccer team here in Dunloy that are top of the Ballymena Intermediate league over teams like Glebe Rangers, Belfast Celtic, Ballymoney United etc and are wanting to push into the Irish league so its taking lads away.

the problem is that hurling is just more poplar a sport in Dunloy. Football is a second game for many and its very hard to watch at times. we have lots of good committed football people in the club and players but its always going to be second fiddle.

To put it in context, we have 2 U14 hurling teams at A & B grade and only one U14 football team. Football just isnt a good game to spectate at is the bother and the younger ones prefer the pace and intensity of the hurling over it.

But them dual skills will always be a benefit to the hurlers. The more sport they play, when kids are young, the better.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: marty34 on March 22, 2020, 12:17:36 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 22, 2020, 10:55:37 AM

But them dual skills will always be a benefit to the hurlers. The more sport they play, when kids are young, the better.

id def agree with you on that. There seemed to be an attitude last season in the club that they needed to be hurling first and foremost and the football could be done without.

all blown out of the water when we played Sneill who play both successfully and they beat us well. they were bigger, stronger and more physical in most positions.

Id prefer our lads to be playing both but it is a hard balancing act esp when we have so many lads now hurling county as well.
hurl like f**k boi!

Mhic Easmuint

Yep - the Stinsons v Dunloy minor final was 96

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on March 23, 2020, 01:09:49 PM

Yep - the Stinsons v Dunloy minor final was 96

good game between the sides but your lads had a bit more than us over the 15. i used to have a video of the game years ago but lost it after lending it to someone
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Was down walking the dog at the weekend at Musgrave and St Brides have done some job with the 2 pitches now - anyone know if they own the pitches outright Or do the council? the Changing rooms look like the same as Woodlands which is council...
No matches to Discuss!!!

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on March 23, 2020, 08:25:40 PM
Was down walking the dog at the weekend at Musgrave and St Brides have done some job with the 2 pitches now - anyone know if they own the pitches outright Or do the council? the Changing rooms look like the same as Woodlands which is council...
No matches to Discuss!!!

I think the council still look after the grounds.

Belfast GAA man

The many clubs who Rely on the social club for income will be getting in tight for the next while - Hope Govt or Croke will step up. Fundraising generally will be well done - tough times