[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Why isn't there one thread on religion for this poster to put all his religious themed threads into. It always ends up in the same argument.

T Fearon

Can there be any greater insult than something you believe in,and is totally innocuous, is deemed so gratuitously offensive that it is banned from being displayed in an ordinary family everyday place of entertainment?

It is time the impact of these decisions on Christians was evaluated.Many years ago,Basil Brooke,North of Ireland Prime Minister,was castigated (and is in fact still up to this day castigated) for saying "He didn't want a Catholic about the place". Banning something as innocuous as the Lord's Prayer from the cinema is effectively society saying it doesn't want a Christian about the place.

omaghjoe

Tony, loose the drama and keep it on point.

Its discriminatory and borderline offensive but its not the same as saying that they dont want Christians around.

smelmoth

Quote from: smelmoth on November 20, 2015, 05:06:10 PM
Tony - if you faith compelled you to do something that you knew was illegal - what would you do?
Quote from: T Fearon on November 20, 2015, 06:26:41 PM
Yes.My beliefs supercede often misguided man made laws.

Tony is backing the jihadists and their Paris and Beirut exploits presumably.

Personally I think people with crazy beliefs need to challenged

T Fearon

It is by inference.Thankfully RTE still broadcasts Sunday Services live,as does BBC Radio and TV.Why have cinema operators binned an ad that would last no more than a minute or two.Also it's not so long ago that they were happy to rake in piles of cash at the Box Office with Mel Gibson's portrayal of Christ.

T Fearon

I most certainly do not back jihadists,but as was the case with Ashers,I would prioritise my Christian beliefs (which are mainstream and not fundamentalist) over man made laws when there is a conflict between the two

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 23, 2015, 10:36:57 PM
Can there be any greater insult than something you believe in,and is totally innocuous, is deemed so gratuitously offensive that it is banned from being displayed in an ordinary family everyday place of entertainment?

It is time the impact of these decisions on Christians was evaluated.Many years ago,Basil Brooke,North of Ireland Prime Minister,was castigated (and is in fact still up to this day castigated) for saying "He didn't want a Catholic about the place". Banning something as innocuous as the Lord's Prayer from the cinema is effectively society saying it doesn't want a Christian about the place.
If there is any discrimination then its against faith/spiritualism and not christianity.

If someone stood outside Belfast City hall with a megaphone proclaiming the fallacies of the bible, the logic gaps in christianity, the fact deficit in the bible and the catastrophic consequences that have flown from christianity and the bible would they be moved on? Are christians that interested in freedom of speech and expression?

smelmoth

Quote from: smelmoth on November 23, 2015, 10:43:17 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 20, 2015, 05:06:10 PM
Tony - if you faith compelled you to do something that you knew was illegal - what would you do?
Quote from: T Fearon on November 20, 2015, 06:26:41 PM
Yes.My beliefs supercede often misguided man made laws.

Tony is backing the jihadists and their Paris and Beirut exploits presumably.

Personally I think people with crazy beliefs need to challenged
Quote from: T Fearon on November 23, 2015, 10:52:22 PM
I most certainly do not back jihadists,but as was the case with Ashers,I would prioritise my Christian beliefs (which are mainstream and not fundamentalist) over man made laws when there is a conflict between the two

So is ok or you to override the law with your faith but not for others??

Is it only ok if people override the law to reflect your judgements but not their own??

A recipe for total f**king anarchy

omaghjoe

Is it at all possible to keep this relevant to the subject? How many more posts will there be before someone mentions "you know what?"

T Fearon

Smel,most certainly people should be able to air their anti religious views in public.Doesnt Humanist Ireland already do this?

ONeill

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 23, 2015, 11:06:48 PM
Is it at all possible to keep this relevant to the subject? How many more posts will there be before someone mentions "you know what?"

Exactly. Effin Hugo Duncan.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 23, 2015, 10:42:22 PM

Its discriminatory and borderline offensive but its not the same as saying that they dont want Christians around.

How is it disciminatory?

mylestheslasher

Well I am going to create shock waves around the internet and say I agree with Fearon. The Church of England's money is as good as anyones and they should be allowed to advertise. The fecking brit army have adds on all the time and their "job" is to shoot and bomb people. Now that said I would probably take the opportunity to go for a piss when it comes on but I see no justification for refusing to show it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on November 23, 2015, 11:18:20 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 23, 2015, 10:42:22 PM

How is it disciminatory?

Because the add has been banned.

omaghjoe

Quote from: smelmoth on November 23, 2015, 10:56:42 PM

If there is any discrimination then its against faith/spiritualism and not christianity.

Isnt Christianity faith/spiritualism?