Cavan v Fermanagh, Ulster champ 2010 1st rd

Started by mylestheslasher, May 30, 2010, 07:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Might as well start a thread on this even though no one seems interested!

Have to say this fixture worries me. Last year Fermanagh were favourites and we were waiting in the long grass and turned them over. This year its a bit like role reversal. Cavan will be favourites but I have a real fear that Fermanagh will bring a blanket defense, hard tackling and counter attacking football to Breffni. I have a fear that if they do this then we will struggle as we always do against these tactics and I have not much faith that Carr has the knowledge to counter such tactics.

Cavan will be inexperienced in some vital areas. Championship debuts likely at FB (Corr), CB (mcguigan), midfield (Givney), CF (Nesty) and looking like Declan McKiernan could be another at FF! Seanie Johnson doesn't look like starting either. If I were a betting man I'd put money on Fermanagh ;)

ExiledGael

Sure you would..
How has Nesty been performing in recent months? Know he started the season impressively.
On the debutants side for Fermanagh you'll probably have Chris O'Brien or Paul Ward at corner-forward, Niall McGovern in defence and maybe Kevin Cosgrove at midfield, hard to know after that with injuries and drop outs. Total guess at this stage but judging by league and availability we will be something like
Breen; Goan, McGovern/Lyons, Bogue; McElroy, McCluskey, Kelly; Sherry, Cosgrove; Little, Gallagher, D Keenan; Quigley, Carson, O'Brien/Ward.

cavanmaniac

Either way, I expect a very poor standard match, Fermanagh like to turn every game into an awful doggerel of a thing and Cavan won't have the necessary to play around it or take long range scores. If Fermanagh are disciplined and don't foul we could be in bother.

I can see a similar tale unfolding to that against Antrim last year when we struggled to get the ball into the danger areas and just found no space at all.

I'd be very worried about Fermanagh turning us over, they'll be totally written off after their league season but they'll be coming and giving it everything at KBP. :'(

put-it-up

Everthing says this game will be dour. I think the fact that it is on TV will fairly effect the attendance of it aswell. But yeah being honest, whoever wins beetween Monaghan and Armagh will see their semi-final as a bye into the final.

I think Cavan has to beat Fermanagh and get a run in the qualifiers if TC has any chance of being around next year.

Orior

On the other hand, these are two evenly matched teams that could, if they wanted, go hammer and tongs at each other.

Why should it be a poor match? Its only poor if defences stifle the free flowing play with cynical fouls.

Up the blues!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

put-it-up

Quote from: Orior on May 31, 2010, 12:03:19 AM
On the other hand, these are two evenly matched teams that could, if they wanted, go hammer and tongs at each other.

Why should it be a poor match? Its only poor if defences stifle the free flowing play with cynical fouls.

Up the blues!

I hope your right and I think Cavan will go out to try and play like they always do. Fermanagh though will be negative and cynical I would imagine.

FermGael

Quote from: put-it-up on May 31, 2010, 11:11:18 AM
Quote from: Orior on May 31, 2010, 12:03:19 AM

Up the blues!

I hope your right and I think Cavan will go out to try and play like they always do. Fermanagh though will be negative and cynical I would imagine.

Yep i really hope we are.  Cynical is the only hope we have. 

I wonder will Cavan man mark Tommy McElroy(our whb) like they did in the league??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

cavan4sam

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 31, 2010, 12:22:25 PM
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=16264.0

That thread seems to have died out so i guess we will just continue with this one or maybe a mod could merge the 2??

Anyway Cavan got bet yesterday in their final challenge match before the big game, not sure what the team was but i know Seanie Johnston was playin and scored 0-8 (0-6 form play)

I think Cavan will line out somethin like this for the championship

Fintan Reilly

Dermot Sheridan    Tomas Corr        Martin Cahill (c)

Paul Brady             Eoin McGuigan   John McCutheon

David Givney            Ray Cullivan/Nicholas Walsh

Ronan Flanagan     Gareth Smith      Mark McKeever

Cian Mackey          Ray Cullivan/Nicholas Walsh   Seanie Johnston

Not sure about John McCutheon as i think he has picked up a couple of injuries over the last couple of weeks, Celt Man may be able to fill us in on his progress. Im not sure about the midfield or full forward position but from what i have heard this is how its shaping up. Ciaran Galligan hurt his hamstring last weekend so i think he is doubtful.

All in all i'm fairly sure of the rest of the line up. Hopefully Tommy Carr will have worked on a plan B in case we cant get the ball into our inside forward line.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: cavan4sam on May 31, 2010, 01:24:15 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on May 31, 2010, 12:22:25 PM
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=16264.0

That thread seems to have died out so i guess we will just continue with this one or maybe a mod could merge the 2??

Anyway Cavan got bet yesterday in their final challenge match before the big game, not sure what the team was but i know Seanie Johnston was playin and scored 0-8 (0-6 form play)

I think Cavan will line out somethin like this for the championship

Fintan Reilly

Dermot Sheridan    Tomas Corr        Martin Cahill (c)

Paul Brady             Eoin McGuigan   John McCutheon

David Givney            Ray Cullivan/Nicholas Walsh

Ronan Flanagan     Gareth Smith      Mark McKeever

Cian Mackey          Ray Cullivan/Nicholas Walsh   Seanie Johnston

Not sure about John McCutheon as i think he has picked up a couple of injuries over the last couple of weeks, Celt Man may be able to fill us in on his progress. Im not sure about the midfield or full forward position but from what i have heard this is how its shaping up. Ciaran Galligan hurt his hamstring last weekend so i think he is doubtful.

All in all i'm fairly sure of the rest of the line up. Hopefully Tommy Carr will have worked on a plan B in case we cant get the ball into our inside forward line.

Fairly sure? Fair play to you.
I'd have thought that Eoin McPhilips, Lorcan Mulvey and Declan McKiernan might have something to say about that.
Anybody got any details from Mullagh yesterday?

cavan4sam

i did say i wasnt sure about full forward or midfield. Eoin McPhillips won't start unless 1 of the other 3 lads get injured.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: cavan4sam on May 31, 2010, 01:40:37 PM
i did say i wasnt sure about full forward or midfield. Eoin McPhillips won't start unless 1 of the other 3 lads get injured.
I'll be extremely disappointed if McPhiips doesn't start and the player would deserve to be too. He's been one of our most consistent players throughout the league while Sheridan and Corr have been up and down at best.
You say it as if you have some inside info. Would this be the case?

put-it-up

FermPundit

Now that everyone else have had their go it's time for the two power horses in Ulster football in recent years to take centre stage. I think this is going to be a really interesting game. Obviously Fermanagh had a awful league campaign but there is no expectations on them, which will suit them down to the ground. They abandoned the blanket defence system in the league that served them so well over the years so it'll be interesting to see what set up Malachy goods for to try and negate the influence of Seanie Johnson. This open style of football in the league was a major factor behind Fermanagh's relegation to division 4.

There are quite a few question marks over the Fermanagh team, like is Marty McGrath fit enough to play seventy minutes and who will play in the full back line. Personally I would go for Goan, Lyons, O'Brien. I doubt if McGrath is even fit to start given his recent injury problems.

In attack I think we have the potential to do ok. A lot will be expected from Seamus Quigley if he starts. Rory Gallagher is a quality forward, as he showed with St. Gall's this year, but he hasn't done it at inter county level, especially in the championship, for quite a few years now. I'm not sure if Blobby will start in the forward line or will he partner James Sherry in midfield if Marty McGrath fails to prove his fitness.

It's a hard one to call. Cavan are clear favourites, but I wouldn't completely rule Fermanagh out. They have a chance but a lot will depend on whether they can get some key players fit this week.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Fermanaghandsam

Don't know if I should be looking forward to saturday or not, if we play like we did in the league then we will lose by quite a bit, but hopefully we can produce a big performance and do a 2004  ;D.

Seanie Johnston will no doubt be a massive bonus for Cavan, hopefully we can crowd the defence (it might not be pretty) and bottle him up and then get the ball to our forwards as quick as possible. The big question is who will we put on him, Clucker would be the ideal man, but then we don't really have a replacement centre half back. Mal has some big decisions to make. Upfront I think every fermanagh fan is excited about the prospect of Seamus Quigley and he really could be our star forward!!!!

I think we can win this one, but Cavan are big favorites and it will take 100% from everyone for us to take this one!!! Fingers crossed!!!