More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: michaelg on April 28, 2019, 09:06:32 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 27, 2019, 04:06:28 PM
As people from the 6 Cos will still be entitled to the same GFA citizenship provisions in an All Ireland State it's fair to assume there will be a local Assembly/Administration there.

Re not voting the whole ballot paper affecting the quota .....
Unless the 6 Co system is different the Quota is based on the Total Valid poll divided by the number of seats plus 1 ( e.g ÷5 in a 4 seater and so on) and remains at that figure tgrough all the counts.
What's the point then?  Other than losing free health care and all the benefits that come from the UK welfare system, what benefits will come from a UI?
We have a Social Welfare system too with higher rates than the British ones.
;)

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kidder81

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2019, 10:49:42 AM
Quote from: michaelg on April 28, 2019, 09:06:32 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 27, 2019, 04:06:28 PM
As people from the 6 Cos will still be entitled to the same GFA citizenship provisions in an All Ireland State it's fair to assume there will be a local Assembly/Administration there.

Re not voting the whole ballot paper affecting the quota .....
Unless the 6 Co system is different the Quota is based on the Total Valid poll divided by the number of seats plus 1 ( e.g ÷5 in a 4 seater and so on) and remains at that figure tgrough all the counts.
What's the point then?  Other than losing free health care and all the benefits that come from the UK welfare system, what benefits will come from a UI?
We have a Social Welfare system too with higher rates than the British ones.
;)

What other elements are there ? Separate Disability benefits like DLA/PIP ?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 27, 2019, 09:58:55 PM
Having a border poll and winning one is another matter. After a weeks holiday down here. I can't believe the cost of food in the shops., Scandalous. The cost of comparative foods is ridiculous. Add in run down schools(yes even worst than up north) doctor and medical bills, higher tax rates and poorer pensions, No politician can make a sensible argument for a united Ireland, on those grounds to someone else who doesnt see through the green tinted glasses 75% of the posters here have for a united Ireland, no matter how poor circumstances may become. Its hard enough to pay of mortgage etc as is. Only plus for down south is a superior road network.
Would I vote for a united Ireland, probably yes,  but there be enough sensible voters to vote against my moment of madness. A united Ireland still at least 20yrs off and that's been kind.

Once you mentioned pensions, it was clearly a wind up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2019, 10:31:44 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/everybody-knew-there-was-going-to-be-bother-in-the-north-1.3872648

Many young people in the Creggan reasonably believe that, for all the talk of a new generation's new attitudes and the promise of "moving on" to a brighter future, their own situation is not getting better but, if anything, getting worse.
More than half (54 per cent) of the population of the electoral area which includes the Creggan have low or no qualifications. There are people with degrees on Sainsbury's checkout. What chance a start with no A-levels?
Welfare reforms brought in by the Conservative government and passed on by Stormont have pushed many young people out of the benefits system entirely. They find themselves entitled to nothing at all unless, bizarrely, they can show that they have been "actively seeking work" for 35 hours a week. Some simply stop registering.
The state agencies have lost track of 40 per cent of those leaving the register. Literally, a lost generation.

In the wake of McKee's death, there may well be more support for the PSNI in traditionally nationalist areas. Saoradh and the New IRA may be on the brink of disintegration. But the conditions which have cast thousands of young people beyond the reach of respectable society haven't gone away.

Always looking an excuse for their behaviour.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

smelmoth

Quote from: Orior on April 27, 2019, 08:31:16 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 27, 2019, 07:20:22 AM
Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2019, 10:37:53 PM
I'll be voting SDLP. I will transfer to Alliance and UUP. Parties interested in making NI work.
Power sharing is the only show in town. If you think that a Unity referendum is achievable and more importantly winnable in the near future you are living in cloud cuckoo land. It is a distraction tactic used by SF to cover their own shortcomings. I am in favour of a United Ireland. Nut understand there is much work to be done before it's achievable.

NI can never work. It is a deeply flawed project that has had 100 years and had failed miserably since its inception. Power sharing is only a way of keeping the two communities from killing each other until the inevitable happens and "our wee country" is put out of its misery once and for all.

As much as I hate to agree with a Tyrone man, but that is all very true.

Well if you agree with then perhaps you can help explain what put out of misery means in this context given The GFA

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on April 27, 2019, 11:58:07 PM
Quote from: clarshack on April 27, 2019, 11:28:24 PM
The Independent lad from Coalisland Dan Kerr is the only candidate to have knocked on my door so far. I think he might do ok. The arrogance of SF is shocking tbh.

Of course SF are arrogant. They know they can rely on thousands of people voting for them again.

You would have to expect that eventually SF and DUP's arrogance would come home to roost. Why wait and leave this place in limbo?

smelmoth

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 28, 2019, 12:46:42 AM
Quote from: Rudi on April 28, 2019, 12:19:26 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 27, 2019, 09:58:55 PM
Having a border poll and winning one is another matter. After a weeks holiday down here. I can't believe the cost of food in the shops., Scandalous. The cost of comparative foods is ridiculous. Add in run down schools(yes even worst than up north) doctor and medical bills, higher tax rates and poorer pensions, No politician can make a sensible argument for a united Ireland, on those grounds to someone else who doesnt see through the green tinted glasses 75% of the posters here have for a united Ireland, no matter how poor circumstances may become. Its hard enough to pay of mortgage etc as is. Only plus for down south is a superior road network.
Would I vote for a united Ireland, probably yes,  but there be enough sensible voters to vote against my moment of madness. A united Ireland still at least 20yrs off and that's been kind.

Incredibly aggorant post. The amount of northern workers earning a living in the ROI and subsidised in the NI public sector is unsustainable.

Agreed.
Don't understand why the GP argument continues to be peddled in 2019, especially outside of Jim allister and Arlene foster circles.
Yes, it costs €50 to see a GP, but only if you don't have a GMS or GPV card, and are over the age of 5. (To be extended under sláintecare over the next 10 years.)
Anyway, I'd rather pay €50 and be seen today than wait 3-4 weeks for a free (yaaay) NHS GP appointment  ::)

Wages have already been discussed here. I've worked in both jurisdictions. The difference is massive, particularly in the industry I work in. You're taking an extra 60-70% in the south. So I'm not really bothered about paying a bit extra for a litre of milk.

If you do fall on hard times, the southern job seekers allowance is significantly higher, as is its pension.

There is no valid economic argument for keeping NI in the UK anymore. It is purely a identity argument dressed up in false economics at this stage.

Oh how the tables have turned....

In my experience if I need a free NHS appointment today I get one today. If I ask for "the next available appointment " I (rightly) get one from the non emergency list. This seems entirely correct

BennyCake

Quote from: smelmoth on April 30, 2019, 06:50:51 PM
The Independent lad from Coalisland Dan Kerr is the only candidate to have knocked on my door so far. I think he might do ok. The arrogance of SF is shocking tbh.

Of course SF are arrogant. They know they can rely on thousands of people voting for them again.

You would have to expect that eventually SF and DUP's arrogance would come home to roost. Why wait and leave this place in limbo?

I doubt it. This place it continually in limbo.

I got a SF leaflet in the post today. Blaming everyone but themselves. That'll get their voters out in force. Spouting Mumbo jumbo political bullshit that means nothing. And no mention of what they have actually done since the last election.

trailer

In any normal functioning democracy SF are a protest vote. 10%-14%. They hang out on the fringes of democracy. Their policies are anti business, anti family, and anti growth. That's what they are. Even in NI where they have most support they only command 25% - 30% of the vote. If you want to go nowhere, sit at home and claim the dole, votail Sinn Fein.

marty34

Quote from: trailer on April 30, 2019, 08:48:31 PM
In any normal functioning democracy SF are a protest vote. 10%-14%. They hang out on the fringes of democracy. Their policies are anti business, anti family, and anti growth. That's what they are. Even in NI where they have most support they only command 25% - 30% of the vote. If you want to go nowhere, sit at home and claim the dole, votail Sinn Fein.

Very nice.

GetOverTheBar

Bit off topic, but a geniune question -

Those who are on the fence with regards to who to vote for come Thursday - do Candidates knocking on your door do anything positive that would influence you to vote for them? Or is it an outdated PR stunt?

marty34

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 30, 2019, 09:25:11 PM

Those who are on the fence with regards to who to vote for come Thursday - do Candidates knocking on your door do anything positive that would influence you to vote for them? Or is it an outdated PR stunt?

Good question - hard to assess if it makes any difference.  People who usually knock your door are away down the list in terms of policy making and are usually in to 'help' out at elections.

The problem here is you don't knock the door, you're a p***k and if you do, you're still a p***k.

Too many negative people on here - all about, they are useless, he's no good, don't have any time for them etc. etc.

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on April 30, 2019, 07:34:41 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 30, 2019, 06:50:51 PM

I doubt it. This place it continually in limbo.

I got a SF leaflet in the post today. Blaming everyone but themselves. That'll get their voters out in force. Spouting Mumbo jumbo political bullshit that means nothing. And no mention of what they have actually done since the last election.

It doesn't have to be that way. Vote Alliance and move the dial.

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on April 30, 2019, 09:45:40 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 30, 2019, 09:25:11 PM

Good question - hard to assess if it makes any difference.  People who usually knock your door are away down the list in terms of policy making and are usually in to 'help' out at elections.

The problem here is you don't knock the door, you're a p***k and if you do, you're still a p***k.

Too many negative people on here - all about, they are useless, he's no good, don't have any time for them etc. etc.

Correct that those knocking the door are unlikely to be the candidate. Also true that its the larger parties that are more likely to knock the door as they have the volunteer resource to do so.

The negativity here is about parties that there is every grounds to be negative about. Presumably posters are positive about other candidates. What is there to complain about in that?