Buying a new vehicle

Started by Orior, January 04, 2017, 11:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2023, 08:01:37 AM
https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2023/0503/1380408-eu-ban-petrol-diesel-cars-2035-emissions-standards-euro-7/Ultimately, the ban in 2035 won't kill the majority of petrol and diesel models, but it will be caused by a simple financial decision by automakers as they react to tightening emission standards and fleet average efficiency requirements. This is already clearly reflected in the long-term development plans for the majority of manufacturers. Mercedes-Benz, Stellantis (Chrysler, Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen), Jaguar, Volvo, Ford and VW Group (Audi, Seat, Skoda) all plan to cease the sale of petrol and diesel models far ahead of the ban.

I have had very bad experiences with electric vehicles and the lack of convenient and working charging points in recent years which I've found to be a real pity. My wife has a plug in hybrid and it's a complete joy to drive. With the mileage I cover and the nature of my driving I think I'm at least one car away from going fully electric and even at that I'm still concerned. I think the infrastructure really needs to keep pace with the car development now.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

trailer

Quote from: David McKeown on May 07, 2023, 11:36:32 AM
https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2023/0503/1380408-eu-ban-petrol-diesel-cars-2035-emissions-standards-euro-7/Ultimately, the ban in 2035 won't kill the majority of petrol and diesel models, but it will be caused by a simple financial decision by automakers as they react to tightening emission standards and fleet average efficiency requirements. This is already clearly reflected in the long-term development plans for the majority of manufacturers. Mercedes-Benz, Stellantis (Chrysler, Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen), Jaguar, Volvo, Ford and VW Group (Audi, Seat, Skoda) all plan to cease the sale of petrol and diesel models far ahead of the ban.

I have had very bad experiences with electric vehicles and the lack of convenient and working charging points in recent years which I've found to be a real pity. My wife has a plug in hybrid and it's a complete joy to drive. With the mileage I cover and the nature of my driving I think I'm at least one car away from going fully electric and even at that I'm still concerned. I think the infrastructure really needs to keep pace with the car development now.

EV cars will never be mainstream. Anyone buying one would need their head looked at. They'll be obsolete before they catch on. Another fuel most likely hydrogen will outstrip them just purely because of the ease of refuelling. Who the f**k has time to wait on a car charging up? Not me anyway.

Windmill abu

I picked up my new T-Roc diesel from our local VW dealer yesterday. ;D I asked the sales rep if they were selling many electric vehicles. He said almost zero.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

thebigfella

Quote from: trailer on May 09, 2023, 05:14:17 PM

EV cars will never be mainstream. Anyone buying one would need their head looked at. They'll be obsolete before they catch on. Another fuel most likely hydrogen will outstrip them just purely because of the ease of refuelling. Who the f**k has time to wait on a car charging up? Not me anyway.

They have caught on already  ???

snoopdog

Until the source your charging them with is renewable than it defeats the purpose. Why pay thousands extra for a car your plugging into charge from electric created by burning oil or gas.

Tubberman

Quote from: Windmill abu on May 09, 2023, 05:48:43 PM
I picked up my new T-Roc diesel from our local VW dealer yesterday. ;D I asked the sales rep if they were selling many electric vehicles. He said almost zero.

Well now in fairness, Nordies wouldn't be know for their forward thinking outlook.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seafoid

Most people charge their cars overnight at home. It costs abut €500 per year in Ireland and is  considerably cheaper than petrol/diesel.

thewobbler

Of course they'll become mainstream. Seafoid has explained it well. Why would any manufacturer invest in 2 sets of technologies and maintain 2 sets of production plants and processes, when their customer only needs one?

Car manufacturers aren't controlled by petrol heads. They're controlled by accountants.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on May 09, 2023, 08:30:01 PM

Of course they'll become mainstream. Seafoid has explained it well. Why would any manufacturer invest in 2 sets of technologies and maintain 2 sets of production plants and processes, when their customer only needs one?

Car manufacturers aren't controlled by petrol heads. They're controlled by accountants.

People can only buy what is on sale.
New Battery technology will make range less of a concern in a couple of years
for instance, these lads claim to be ready to start production later this year, a 1000Km range would let you drive almost anywhere in Ireland and back and then charge at home. 
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2023-05-03/catl-announces-battery-to-make-electric-aviation-possible/102289310
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

NAG1

The big driver of this will not be private owners buying EV. It will be fleet buyers and they are being incentivised to do so, so that will driver the car manufacturers to build more and more EV and the technology will improve on these as they develop mainly around the battery and range issues.

Hydrogen technology has been around a long time now at this stage, so it is a wonder why it hasnt made the leap already, must be more difficult than first imagined.

GJL

Quote from: Tubberman on May 09, 2023, 07:18:07 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on May 09, 2023, 05:48:43 PM

Well now in fairness, Nordies wouldn't be know for their forward thinking outlook.

Says the guy who can't even type a basic sentence without a mistake!

haranguerer

I've electric, love it. The big initial concern is the range, but having had it for over a year now inclined to think thats somewhat of a red herring. As Seafoid says, charging is done at home; the public network is generally for getting you home, if you look at it that way then 15 min on public charger is often enough when required. Obv won't suit some people; most of my driving is within 20 miles of home tbf, but there are regular enough longer trips and also have had it in Kerry for a week.

clonian

Quote from: thewobbler on May 09, 2023, 08:30:01 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson said on a podcast (think it was Rogan) that over the next 20 years the change to EVs will be similar to the move to motor cars from horse & carriage. It's just going to happen whether you agree or not.
As stated by NAG1 business fleets will be the driver behind the change because. This will also have a knock on effect on the petrol/diesel vehicles available to buy 2nd hand in 2/3/4 years time.
I debated between petrol/hybrid/full EV and went with the EV. It drove better than the hybrid and it was nicely kitted out. Just ordered so don't have it yet but I think it makes sense in the long run. It'll be used by herself mostly and I'll have a diesel for my work stuff for a while yet.

clonian

Quote from: haranguerer on May 10, 2023, 09:18:20 AM
I've electric, love it. The big initial concern is the range, but having had it for over a year now inclined to think thats somewhat of a red herring. As Seafoid says, charging is done at home; the public network is generally for getting you home, if you look at it that way then 15 min on public charger is often enough when required. Obv won't suit some people; most of my driving is within 20 miles of home tbf, but there are regular enough longer trips and also have had it in Kerry for a week.
Did you get the proper charger at home or just the 3 pin plug?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: haranguerer on May 10, 2023, 09:18:20 AM
how many one day 250km+ journeys do  people actually do in a year in Ireland? one, maybe two?
most journeys are within 100km