building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on December 02, 2023, 09:18:42 AMNot related to building a house but a repair.

Damp patch in ceiling below bathroom.

Seems to be shower area. Any way of sorting it without having to take shower tray out?

Nope!! I've same problem at the minute... check your sealant inside shower unit, seal at base around door and bring the sealant up the sides to head height...

Obviously take off the old stuff, squirt DW40 around the sealant and scrape off

If that doesn't work good luck getting a plumber or shower unit fitter!! Still trying to get one for months now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Deerstalker

You probably just need the shower tray resealed so you can probably just do that without removing the tray 

marty34

Nailer

Be sure and remove the existing sealant around the tray and wipe the joint clean, use Trans 7 sealant if you want clear colour or you can get it a colour to match your tiles, white to match the tray?
It is more expensive than ordinary silicone but is well worth it as you'll only need one tube.

ThereAndBackAgain

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use WD40 to take sealant off as it's very hard to remove all traces of it and even a tiny residue will interact with your new sealant.

God14

Tiled showers upstairs are a mess. Wouldnt have one about me. Over time water will leak through the grout. Especially if your Mrs takes as long in the shower as mine.

Multipanel the walls of the shower. Completely waterproof, with a multipanel shower seal tray kit to suit. Job done.

Walter Cronc

Anyone any recent experience/advice of building an extension? Is using an off site company (build & crane into position) usually very costly?

Not sure if I want the hassle of sorting tradesmen myself but costs will likely determine that.