Joe Deane on road to recovery

Started by Tubberman, November 29, 2006, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Some great news on Joe Deane. Planning on a very quick comeback to hurling

QuoteCork hurling star Joe Deane is on the road to recovery after undergoing an operation for testicular cancer.

While rumours about his illness have been circulating in GAA circles for several weeks, the three-time All-Ireland winning corner forward has refused to confirm the nature of the illness until now.

"Over the last few weeks, rumours abounded that Joe had testicular cancer. Sadly, let me confirm he has, or more precisely, he had," said RTE GAA commentator Marty Morrissey, who Deane revealed the news to at last Saturday's coaching conference in Croke Park.

Morrissey added: "About a month ago, Joe went to Dr Con Murphy, the Cork team doctor, and he quickly arranged to meet a consultant. After exhaustive tests it was discovered a little surgery was required and thankfully the news this week was quite positive."

The Killeagh sharpshooter, who is a huge favourite with Cork fans, has taken a break from his job as a bank official to help his recovery. Deane will now miss Cork's team holiday to California and Mexico next month, but hopes are high that he will be able to resume playing hurling when the new season gets underway in February.

When rumours of his illness reached Tipperary, manager Michael 'Babs' Keating arranged for the entire panel to sign a card wishing him well.

Cork chairman Mick Dolan was happy to report that Deane was winning his cancer battle.

"He's in great form now and he expects to be back in full training come February or March," Dolan said.

"He has had a minor operation. Naturally these day there are preventative measures and he will be going through whatever he has to do."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

That's great news. I gather the recovery rate is very high for that.

dodo

All the best to Joe. Cracking hurler. Hope to see him back in the blood and bandage again soon in the new year.

bottlethrower7

He was up in my club only the other week handing out medals to our under-21s. A solid and sound fella if ever there was one. Best wishes to him.

lynchbhoy

Best wishes for a full recovery for the man!

youbetterbelieveit

Good to see, it just woundnt be the same with the legend of a player he is.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Its all about the Hurling.

theskull1

Thats excellent news

BTW does anybody know the full symptoms of this illness? (sorry too lazy to google)

I've heard about the "look for a lump" advice but is there any pain associated or other symtomatic illnesses to look out for?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Canalman

Would also like to wish Deano all the best.

TORGAEL

Best wishes to Joe.Hope you make a full & speedy recovery. :D

maddog

That's good news. Hope the lad makes full and swift recovery.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI wonder do many men get this cancer. There is a lot of publicity for breast cancer but not so much this.

A screening programme wouldn't be viable for Testicular cancer and evidence supports that it wouldn't greatly reduce the number of deaths. In Ireland and the UK combined deaths from Testicular cancer average around 100 a year. In Ireland alone deaths from Breast Cancer currently stand at over 600 a year.

The most common cancer in men is prostate but this cancer is not necessarily a killer as it tends to happen in older men who altough have the cancer will die of other causes first. Colon Rectal Cancer is another common cancer in men.

Anyway the National Cancer Screening Service has been formed and will in future years will be screening for Breast, Cervical, Prostate and Colon Rectal.

#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Best wishes to Deano on his recovery. Obviously a fine player but seems to be (and confirmed here) to be a nice fella too.

aontroim abu

I know his diagnosis would have come out eventually, but i still its brave of him to go public with testicular cancer. I also think its great to see men actually talking about what is seen to be a tabboo subject. The more men who check themselves, and if one person finds this disease in the early stages to help beat it, then JD's predicament will not be in vain. My wife has recently beaten breast cancer, and most of the women we talked to who have started checking themselves more regularly.

tayto

Great to hear he's over the worst of it, he's one of my favorite hurlers.