0 (0%)
Other (Please State)
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

EC Unique

Quote from: twenty one yard free on July 08, 2011, 07:07:52 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 08, 2011, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: twenty one yard free on July 07, 2011, 11:05:21 PM
yes hard to call but not being bias but canavan a great forward yes no doubt but mc guigan could ve played anywhere from fullback and upcanavan has great haul of medals in his career
mc guigan had rught bagfull by the age of 21

When you read what the thread title is your point means nothing.

my point is canavan couldn t laced franks boots

:D :D :D

twenty one yard free

expect nothing else from another errigal p***k
mickey harte has u all brainwashed up there along with the county board
i suppose you will have davy harte as best wing back and peter harte as best centre half when there are threads started for these

EC Unique

Quote from: twenty one yard free on July 09, 2011, 03:01:56 PM
expect nothing else from another errigal p***k
mickey harte has u all brainwashed up there along with the county board
i suppose you will have davy harte as best wing back and peter harte as best centre half when there are threads started for these

Away back to Hogan stand with you young boy!  :D :D

LeoMc

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on July 07, 2011, 05:50:38 PM
Quote from: Dell on July 07, 2011, 02:33:17 PM
Don't know much about soccer or George best!!! But Canavan without doubt was the greatest and anyone lucky enough to have seen him in his prime will agree. His achievements, records and medal haul are proof. For a wee man he had everything a genius!

Surely Canavan was the greatest of his Generation and deserved his two All-Irelands, but look at the side he played alongside then (Snout, Ricey, Cavanagh, Dooher, Stevie O'Neill). King Frank was winning Ulster Medals for Tyrone when they were no-hopers.
McKenna, O'Hagan, McCabe, Lynch. Aye Frank had nobody round him.

Stevie g 8

it has to be canavan.in 95 he nearly single handily won the all ireland.then in 03 and 05 he also played a massive part

Fuzzman

I just missed out on seeing Frank McGuigan so I am dependant on TV sketches and youyube.

Because of this I would have to say Canavan as he played at a time when defenders where much fitter and faster than perhaps back in McGuigan's time.
Players with raw talent years ago stood out as nobody could get near them for speed and fitness wise. However their way of dealing with that was to rough you up and they got away with much more in those days.

Whereas to me Canavan often used his sublime skill and pace to outfox defenders and score amazing points from crazy angles. I always really admired Peter, especially as he was quite small like myself but he took an awful amount of abuse.
I wish he had of scored more goals in his career but he tended to be more of a point getter.

nothingbettertobeat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UQ8PFkqQXc

Best Player that ever played the game...that was the hardest generation to stand out when you look at the great derry Donegal down teams in the 90s he still the best player of his generation and of all time as much as i hate the wee arrogant ****!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

qz

Much as I voted for Canavan because of his longevity of high performance in a Tyrone shirt, & his massive contribution to our success, on his day Frank mcGuigan was better. He was a magician who created an electric atmosphere every time he got the ball. Even at 18 in the early 70s, he was the leader of the team. There is no doubt he'd have been the superstar in the team of the last decade.

He scored a goal I'll never forget, probably the best ever Tyrone goal for me. We were playing Down in Newry in the first round of the championship in 1982, and FmccG had been flown home from NY to play. He lined out at full forward & Down marked him so tight the whole game, he never got much ball. The Tyrone team & supporters were getting serious slagging about Mcguigan doing nothing etc.. having been flown home.

Anyway, last few minutes Tyrone were behind, long ball in to Frank & despite having only one arm free, he rose to catch the ball with his free hand, dropped it to his foot on the turn, for a volley to the net before he touched the ground. It won the game.