The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

All Four Aquitted- Grand Slam for the Top Shaggers

Frank_The_Tank

Wonder what the great pontificator first post will be....
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

longballin

Quote from: tommysmith on March 28, 2018, 12:51:37 PM
Quote from: longballin on March 28, 2018, 12:46:22 PM
Is such a high bar 'beyond reasonable doubt' and only people know the truth were in that room. Wouldn't want my daughter at a party with that crew all the same..

I doubt they fully know themselves.

Fair comment!

Christmas Lights

In for the salty tears that will be flowing from the cheeks of Syferus

magpie seanie

Anyone who thinks this is something to be celebrated is sick.

Taylor

Given the judges closing comments it was hard to see how they could be done.

Seemed unless everyone was 100% sure that everything the OP said about all of the men was true then all/some of them were innocent.

Given the inconsistencies with the OP and what she said to different parties how could anyone be 100% sure in convicting them

theskull1

Quote from: AQMP on March 28, 2018, 12:43:26 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 12:39:06 PM
This verdict and the way the trial was covered will certainly make any other girl think twice before she reports a rape. That's a very sad situation.

If the girl lied, and this was just something she made up to cover her embarrassment, then she has done a very grave disservice to other women. If that's the case, then I'm delighted the lads got off.

If she was telling the truth, and it just couldn't be proven, then I feel terribly sorry for her.

We'll probably never know.  But as one of the defense barristers said (paraphrase) "If you're fairly sure they did it, that's not enough to convict"

This is the reason why I think embarrassment drove this incident to court. The evidence to convict was never there, but the prospect of saving face could (not saying I'm correct) certainly have driven it (although in hindsight the media circus has blown that away) . No one is walking away from this unscathed
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AQMP

Quote from: theskull1 on March 28, 2018, 01:00:37 PM
Quote from: AQMP on March 28, 2018, 12:43:26 PM
This verdict and the way the trial was covered will certainly make any other girl think twice before she reports a rape. That's a very sad situation.

If the girl lied, and this was just something she made up to cover her embarrassment, then she has done a very grave disservice to other women. If that's the case, then I'm delighted the lads got off.

If she was telling the truth, and it just couldn't be proven, then I feel terribly sorry for her.

We'll probably never know.  But as one of the defense barristers said (paraphrase) "If you're fairly sure they did it, that's not enough to convict"

This is the reason why I think embarrassment drove this incident to court. The evidence to convict was never there, but the prospect of saving face could (not saying I'm correct) certainly have driven it (although in hindsight the media circus has blown that away) . No one is walking away from this unscathed

Surely that's the job of the PPS to determine??

Ambrose

I wonder if the lads will be having a party to celebrate? #SUFTUM
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 28, 2018, 12:58:24 PM
Anyone who thinks this is something to be celebrated is sick.

Who is celebrating? fcuk you're worse than syferus
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

There is a #Ibelieveher hashtag on Twitter already
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hound

I think your first sentence is a bit of a stretch. The complainant lied when she first went to the doctor (saying she was vaginally raped by two people). With no other compelling evidence of rape and the eye witness not seeing rape, in her opinion; that seemed to be the key facts. With the judge saying the lie/exaggeration to the doctor is enough to mean all the complainant's evidence should be disregarded (which surprised me, but the judge knows the law) then it would make you question how this ever got to court.

Tyrdub

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 28, 2018, 12:51:27 PM
Big pressure now on Ulster Rugby. Acquitted after about 4 hours. They are in a tough spot, if indeed, the word is true they are gone no matter what.

how come? any proof?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on March 28, 2018, 01:11:47 PM

I think your first sentence is a bit of a stretch. The complainant lied when she first went to the doctor (saying she was vaginally raped by two people). With no other compelling evidence of rape and the eye witness not seeing rape, in her opinion; that seemed to be the key facts. With the judge saying the lie/exaggeration to the doctor is enough to mean all the complainant's evidence should be disregarded (which surprised me, but the judge knows the law) then it would make you question how this ever got to court.

I don't think it's a stretch. the way the girl was filleted on the stand wouldn't inspire anyone to take a case. And the verdict (especially for women who believe her) is another body blow.

I said a few times what I think happened here, and I'm not surprised in the verdict.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Tyrdub on March 28, 2018, 01:12:07 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 28, 2018, 12:51:27 PM
Big pressure now on Ulster Rugby. Acquitted after about 4 hours. They are in a tough spot, if indeed, the word is true they are gone no matter what.

how come? any proof?

Any proof of what?