County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2023, 07:39:04 PM
2012 beat a very good Kerry and cork in the run up to beating Mayo in the final. The run up had some huge wins.

2011 he played a hugely defensive system because the players weren't ready to play the counter attacking game he wanted.

Tbh I thought the 2014 final was his biggest failing. Kerry mirrored Donegal's tactics and I don't think he knew what to do. Donegal really left that one behind.

(Also that 2014 beating for Dublin was imo the making of that Dublin team but probably can't blame him for that...).

I would have said 2011 they left it behind them. Only scoring 6 points is an unreal achievement in a negative sense for a county team.

Looking forward to see how he does against derry and maybe armagh in ulster. Tyrone have slipped massively in recent years so I wouldn't say they are big contenders.

Blowitupref

I think a bit of perspective is needed as before Jim became Donegal senior manager Donegal in their history only won one  senior All Ireland title and that was their only final appearance.  It was a talented bunch he took over but it was Donegal team result wise that hadn't them in the conversation for challenging never mind winning the All Ireland.   He was also Donegal's U21 manager in 2010 and was a missed penalty in added time away for beating Jim Gavin's Dublin in the AI final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Aaron Boone

Jim's first go at county management made sure he was up close & personal to Ulster's big guns at that time.

Using that logic, staying on top of Derry will ensure more Ulster titles for the Donegal men.

marty34

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 20, 2023, 01:34:28 AM
Jim's first go at county management made sure he was up close & personal to Ulster's big guns at that time.

Using that logic, staying on top of Derry will ensure more Ulster titles for the Donegal men.

I think the key ingredient he brought to Donegal was disclipline.

They were a talented group but a bit wild.

rrhf

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 20, 2023, 01:34:28 AM

Yes using that logic ulster big guns Armagh and Derry are Fcuked.   See ye in another 25 years lads...

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2023, 07:39:04 PM
2012 beat a very good Kerry and cork in the run up to beating Mayo in the final. The run up had some huge wins.

2011 he played a hugely defensive system because the players weren't ready to play the counter attacking game he wanted.

Tbh I thought the 2014 final was his biggest failing. Kerry mirrored Donegal's tactics and I don't think he knew what to do. Donegal really left that one behind.

(Also that 2014 beating for Dublin was imo the making of that Dublin team but probably can't blame him for that...).

It's funny because  Fitzmaurice seemed to  come   away from that game  as a genius, whereas Jim was clueless .  When in reality it was just a brutal game , and one  bad kick out  decided the game.  And Donegal  hit the post in the last  minute too , to level it.

Had it gone  the other way , Jim  would be lauded as the greatest  manager ever 

Wildweasel74

This Donegal team hasn't got the players, Murphy carried them for years. McGuinness couldn't cut it in soccer, and his return to Donegal will be the same.

tyrone08

Jimmy took  mickey hartes system from 2003 which involved discipline, hard working and tackling in pacts to an extreme level. He isn't the tactical genius some people made him out to be

rodney trotter

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 20, 2023, 12:32:36 PM
This Donegal team hasn't got the players, Murphy carried them for years. McGuinness couldn't cut it in soccer, and his return to Donegal will be the same.

He'll get a lot of players back who didn't commit this year, Ryan McHugh being obvious one. Still good talent in the Donegal team. Gallen , Michael Langan, Ciaran Thompson

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 20, 2023, 12:32:36 PM
otoh Derry and Armagh will struggle to maintain Ulster hegemony over the next 3/5 years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Donegal won't be far away with Mcguinness back at the helm, they've plenty of talent, had great underage structures and a lot of good underage sides until the recent implosion, so a bit of discipline & organisation will work wonders, that's all that happened in Derry under Gallagher- they sorted a mess, got people pulling in the same direction & organised talent.

Blowitupref

Limerick are set to appoint Jimmy Lee as their new football manager. He guided Newcastle West to two county titles, as well as an appearance in last year's Munster SFC final where they were beaten by a point by Kerry side Kerins O'Rahilly's.

He was previously in the management set up with Limerick when Billy Lee was in charge
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rudi

As expected Jim back, with bro in law Colm Anthony, Neil McGee & Luke Barret.