Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 12, 2019, 04:13:31 PM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on September 12, 2019, 11:36:58 AM
Yep. Worth retelling this. In the Ulster SFC first round tie vs. Derry in 2003 which ended in a draw, Br***y went to town on RTÉ after the match over Tyrone's performance and how they'll never win an All-Ireland etc. etc. Well as the replay was being held in Casement Park six days later, a few minutes before the team coach pulled into the ground, the telly at the front was switched on, the sound turned up, the play button pressed on the video player, and up came on the screen & speakers a clip of that diatribe from the previous weekend. That Tyrone team hammered seven shades of sh*te out of Derry in the replay, word got to back to Br***y about that clip played on the coach, and it ended up making sure he STFU concerning Tyrone for the rest of the decade other than trying to crawl up Mickey Harte's arse several times in public.  8)

Was that the time when he was half cut on camera at Casement Park?

Yes. "Tyrone bas*****" I believe he said off air, but with the camera rolling. Imagine in any other walk of life someone continuing in a job for 16 years after saying this.
The "Tyrone b**tards" clip was from the 2002 Tyrone-Derry Round 3 qualifier match at Casement Park. Brolly made the comments a few minutes before the broadcast started. That clip didn't emerge into the mainstream for years afterwards, a good 11 or 12 years at least I'd say.

I thought the comments were funny and made in a clearly light hearted way.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 12, 2019, 06:25:50 PM
Officially he's still on the RTE panel isn't he. The twitter indignation/commentary should make them realize not to get rid of their 'diamond'.

It's overshadowed the replay build-up which shows his worth.

Read somewhere that Brolly is one of several long to medium term pundits whose contract expires this year.

Maiden1

Quote from: trailer on September 12, 2019, 01:02:47 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 12, 2019, 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: t_mac on September 12, 2019, 07:44:35 AM
Fionntamhnach's own Red and White tinted glasses wouldn't let facts get in the way of a complete lie, and he laments about Brolly, Jesus wept.

I don't deal with "alternative facts" and I've a low tolerance for bullsh*tters no matter where in the world they are. Also you haven't said yet whom you thought should have taken up Michael Lyster's job either. 😉

For everyone else, the story of the clip being played on the coach was confirmed to me through both a player on the squad and also a member of the backroom team at the time. The bereavement mentioned by BennyCake likely proved to be a factor for that game, but is a separate incident in itself.

OK, I had a rule to myself to keep away from talking about the arsehole this thread is dedicated to for several years now (with one exception) and now he's been finally let go from RTÉ with many others here also sharing my view, I'm going to take that vow again. Because for narcissistic attention seekers, the worst thing is not being talked about by others. 🙊

Paddy Bradley had a great game the first day and carried what was a very limited Derry outfit. Roasted Mickey McGee. A certain Dromore man got the nob the 2nd day and Bradley never got a kick. Derry were well beaten.
Paddy Bradley had a great game in drawn game and Brolly pointed out in TSG after that the Tyrone defender should know to push him onto his right foot which was good advice for Tyrone. Bradley hardly touched the ball in replay. 
There are no proofs, only opinions.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 12, 2019, 08:00:27 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 12, 2019, 01:02:47 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 12, 2019, 12:15:20 PM
Quote from: t_mac on September 12, 2019, 07:44:35 AM
Fionntamhnach's own Red and White tinted glasses wouldn't let facts get in the way of a complete lie, and he laments about Brolly, Jesus wept.

I don't deal with "alternative facts" and I've a low tolerance for bullsh*tters no matter where in the world they are. Also you haven't said yet whom you thought should have taken up Michael Lyster's job either. 😉

For everyone else, the story of the clip being played on the coach was confirmed to me through both a player on the squad and also a member of the backroom team at the time. The bereavement mentioned by BennyCake likely proved to be a factor for that game, but is a separate incident in itself.

OK, I had a rule to myself to keep away from talking about the arsehole this thread is dedicated to for several years now (with one exception) and now he's been finally let go from RTÉ with many others here also sharing my view, I'm going to take that vow again. Because for narcissistic attention seekers, the worst thing is not being talked about by others. 🙊

Paddy Bradley had a great game the first day and carried what was a very limited Derry outfit. Roasted Mickey McGee. A certain Dromore man got the nob the 2nd day and Bradley never got a kick. Derry were well beaten.
Paddy Bradley had a great game in drawn game and Brolly pointed out in TSG after that the Tyrone defender should know to push him onto his right foot which was good advice for Tyrone. Bradley hardly touched the ball in replay.

He opened his mouth to wide! You'd never get a Kerry pundit doing that!

From the Bunker

Brolly hitting the sauce early today!

bannside

Should have let those pints settle for a while lol. Thats Shane Finnegan with Joe, the clubman and friend he donated his kidney too.

Solo_run

Pat McEnaney as his replacement please.

imtommygunn

Not an interruption in sight. Much better. Even Spillane is more bearable.

currychip

Rochford adds absolutely nothing. Tells us what we saw.

tbrick18

A complete bore fest that punditry today.
What analysis was there? Can't well had nobody to snap at.
Pat seemed a bit a bit lost. Whelan was just his usual biased self with a suit that brolly would def have slagged him about.
Rochford didn't bring much either.
No entertainment at all.
Thank fook it was a great game.
Pity nobody had the balls to point out the ref mistakes.

Fair play to Dublin, better side just about, score flattered them a bit though.

Tyrdub

Quote from: currychip on September 14, 2019, 06:57:19 PM

It hurt him to compliment Dublin

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tyrdub on September 14, 2019, 09:48:20 PM

It hurt him to compliment Dublin

Understandable! Dara O'Se has the same problem with Tyrone.

BennyCake

Who cares. He wasn't Brolly. That's all that matters.

under the bar

Quote from: BennyCake on September 14, 2019, 10:15:57 PM

Who cares. He wasn't Brolly. That's all that matters.

+1.  Joe spinelessly attacked the integrity of some of the best managers, players and referees in the country in front of audiences of millions to boost his own media profile. He quietly apologised afterwards in personal phone calls very few people were even aware took place.  That sort of duplicity catches up with you eventually.