The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

The title isn't in doubt and that's that, but it's the rest that needs looking after, poor Leeds after so many attempts and false dawns they are on the brink of getting back into the premiership!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhail Prokhorov

seriously lads, this is an unprecedented global pandemic and you are worried about liverpool    ???

Capt Pat

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you it is much more serious than that. - Bill Shankly

Boycey

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 14, 2020, 01:13:21 PM
Quote from: Boycey on March 13, 2020, 11:35:55 PM
Will they 'award' Norwich relegation??

Obviously I'm not a Liverpool fan but I honestly think if I was being awarded the league would be worse than the whole thing being called off as it is...

You don't get the desperation for Liverpool fans to get this monkey off their back though. I would 100% take the title now. Yes they will shout "tainted title" but I really couldn't care less. These people shouted last year that Liverpool had "choked" after finishing with 97points and winning the last 12 games or whatever it was. They are balloons and should not be listened to.

I'm in my 50s, was in my mid 20s before I saw Utd win the League after watching Liverpool win title after title plus 4 European Cups I think I have a fair grasp of what it means  :).

As regards slagging about stuff like losing out last year that's the territory you're in now you just have to suck it up. If you are bored enough go back and look on here at the aftermath of United's Champions League Final defeats to Barcelona, one of the finest club teams ever, and see the hilarity and talk about how shite United were keeping in mind United won the league in both of them years

GalwayBayBoy

The Telegraph outlined today what will likely happen if no more football can be played until next season. Liverpool will be named champions as let's face it, nobody was catching them. No team is relegated and Leeds and West Brom are promoted making it a 22 team league next season. That keeps almost everyone relatively happy (apart from the lawyers who would be involved in any legal challenges). Although they didn't mention anything about the CL spots because they are still very much being contested.

All seems a bit trivial anyway at the moment.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 14, 2020, 01:50:02 PM
seriously lads, this is an unprecedented global pandemic and you are worried about liverpool    ???

Says the fella who only pops up when McIlroy messes up at the golf

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 14, 2020, 10:01:50 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 14, 2020, 01:50:02 PM

Says the fella who only pops up when McIlroy messes up at the golf

Won't see him For a few months then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

If Jurgen Klopp hadn't moaned to extend the winter break, they would've won the league already

RedHand88

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 15, 2020, 01:02:10 AM
If Jurgen Klopp hadn't moaned to extend the winter break, they would've won the league already

Yes it's all Jurgen Klopps fault. He should have seen this coming at the start of the season.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/b362aa48-6875-11ea-a3c9-1fe6fedcca75

Liverpool holds fast to its Irish identity through Brexit and beyond The city has always felt culturally Celtic, and new economic bonds are being forged

The Irish have contributed to Liverpool's success in football, culture and music
Andy Bounds

Brexit is not just an economic wrench for the UK but an emotional one too. And nowhere more so than Liverpool, the port city dubbed the "second capital of Ireland" because of its large Irish émigré population. Officials estimate that three-quarters of Liverpudlians have Irish roots. The UK and Ireland joined the EU together in 1973 but on January 31 the UK left alone.

At the end of this year a transition period ends. While London and Dublin want to keep a common travel area for people, there are likely to be new checks on goods crossing the Irish Sea. So this week's St Patrick's day parade in Liverpool would have been more sombre than usual — even if coronavirus had not forced its cancellation. "There seems to be a little bit of despondency among everybody. There's an invisible wall going up," says Richie Billing, manager of the Irish Centre, which boasts more than 3,000 members and acts as a hub for the diaspora. His grandmother, then just 18, and great-aunt travelled from rural county Waterford to Liverpool in the 1960s to work as nurses. 

The Irish have contributed to Liverpool's success in football, culture and music (three out of four Beatles had an Irish grandparent and John Lennon bought a home there). And this fervently pro-EU city, with a growing population of about 500,000, likes to swim against the tide of English opinion. It voted against Brexit in 2016, and for Labour in the general election. Liverpool's 58 per cent was the highest Remain vote outside Manchester in northern England, a reflection partly of the port's internationalism. The Conservatives have been unpopular since presiding over the near-collapse of the local economy in the 1980s. A cabinet meeting in 1981 discussed abandoning the city to "managed decline" after severe rioting. But the EU has invested hundred of millions of euros over 25 years to regenerate the city. "Liverpool has always fancied itself as looking outwards, turning its back on London," says John Belchem, emeritus professor of History at Liverpool University and author of a book on the city's Irish community.

"It is a Celtic city. It would rather be the 33rd county of Ireland or join an independent Scotland."  When the Act of Union of 1801 created a single market of the whole of Britain and Ireland, nascent industries there were crushed — this is when the large scale emigrations began. "Its economy relied on two exports — food and people," Prof Belchem says. Almost a fifth of Liverpool's population in 1841 was Irish born.  The great famine from 1847-51 increased that number. In the year 1847 alone, 300,000 arrived from Ireland, with many passing through on their way to the US or elsewhere in the UK. But many stayed in Liverpool and rose to prominence in the city. Irish trade underpinned the port's success. While imperial trade rose and fell with geopolitical events, the import of Irish livestock and food and export of textiles and other goods was constant.  In 1885 Liverpool sent an Irish Nationalist MP to Westminster. T P O'Connor remained a representative for the city until his death in 1929, and there were several Irish nationalist councillors even after Ireland gained independence in 1921.

As Ireland prospered, the connections endured. New waterfront apartments in Liverpool were snapped up by Dubliners wanting a weekend bolt-hole: their patronage supports a thriving bar and restaurant scene. Ferry companies are planning for growth. Stena Line this month introduced a bigger boat on its daily service from Birkenhead to Belfast, in Northern Ireland, increasing capacity by 40 per cent, said Paul Grant, Stena Line's route director. "Freight has increased fivefold in 25 years and passenger numbers have doubled. Ireland's most important trading partner is the UK and that won't change," he said. Labour deputy mayor Wendy Simon, of Irish descent, says the city will work hard to retain its economic and social relations with Ireland. "I think the links will get even stronger because of Brexit." Mr Billing agrees that Brexit has reinforced these historic affinities. "We will always hold on to our Irish identity. It is like glue. It seeps into your soul."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dag Dog

For a city with such an Irish connection LFC had an unofficial embargo on Irish Catholics until Ronnie Whelan broke the mould at the start of the 80s.

BennyCake

Quote from: Dag Dog on March 20, 2020, 08:02:50 PM
For a city with such an Irish connection LFC had an unofficial embargo on Irish Catholics until Ronnie Whelan broke the mould at the start of the 80s.

Souness put an end to that though.

JoG2

Quote from: Dag Dog on March 20, 2020, 08:02:50 PM

Irish folk are so hung up on religion. The English don't give a hoot about it.
Read up on the history of the club, former chairmen, managers, even we're the stadium name comes from.

bamboo

Decent topic to pass the time though, what got you hooked on a team?

My uncle was a Utd fan(father had no real heed in sport)  and I remember the 85 final as an 8yr old and followed them since - through the initial years when they were winning feck all.

I got my younger brothers hooked and actually had a season ticket for 2 years- I'd moved to London by then(from Monaghan). Seen them win 2 titles with Teves, Berbatov and that crew.

I'm still every bit as supportive today but they've taken a back seat to work, family etc these days so just a couch fan really. Been up there once in 2 years.

BennyCake

Quote from: bamboo on March 20, 2020, 09:34:36 PM
Decent topic to pass the time though, what got you hooked on a team?

My uncle was a Utd fan(father had no real heed in sport)  and I remember the 85 final as an 8yr old and followed them since - through the initial years when they were winning feck all.

I got my younger brothers hooked and actually had a season ticket for 2 years- I'd moved to London by then(from Monaghan). Seen them win 2 titles with Teves, Berbatov and that crew.

I'm still every bit as supportive today but they've taken a back seat to work, family etc these days so just a couch fan really. Been up there once in 2 years.

My first match following United was 85 final too.

A cousin was into them,had the shirt, and talked all week about this match. I decided to watch the match and shout for United. That was the start of it for me.

Other popular team to support was Celtic but matches were rarely shown, so hard to support them if you couldn't see them play. Round our way was usually United or Celtic, or both.