Donal Og's biography out in October 2009 - 'Lift & strike'

Started by heffo, July 02, 2009, 10:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Available for pre-order on Amazon now - it's described as follows:

"The dispute between the Cork hurlers and their manager has transfixed Ireland. Of the many great hurlers who have taken their stand against the county board, none has been more eloquent than Dónal Óg Cusack. Now, with extraordinary frankness and detail, Dónal Óg tells the story of his life on and off the pitch and of the dramatic row that has kept a great and proud hurling side on the sidelines. Lift and Strike promises to be the frankest and most controversial book by a GAA player in the history of the organization."

Now who said any of the strikers were trying to make money out of it?

orangeman

orangeman

Lift and Strike.

So this is what it was all about then ??

Bud Wiser

I was talking to a man only yesterday from a very famous club in Cork. I was often talking to him before because he was always looking for tickets and was a fierce Cork supporter and very involved in the GAA all his life.  He was saying that most of the older clubmen, the ones that did all the hard work will not be seen at a Cork game for three years and he was still going mad to an extent that he said if a certain Cork Striker came into a room that he was in he would drive him across it with a box.  This book, if there is such a book, should do a lot to calm things down in the Peoples Republic and the timing of its introduction right in the middle of the championship season is I am sure all for the good of the game.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

I'm looking forward to this - it should be a good read

Bud Wiser

QuoteI'm looking forward to this - it should be a good read

I thought you'd be waiting for Paraic Clancy's !!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

theskull1

It is a depressing dynamic now with this type of individual with "a" profile in the GAA. Of course they know they have to paint the romantic picture of what it means to wear the jersey to fool the dumb masses whilst in the background they are more interested in creating "opertunities" from their involvement in the game at that level. Nothing like a bit of controversey so as to be able to "generate" stuff to write about. I don't wanted  to get banned so I'll not say what I think of the same boy.

I'll not be lining his pockets

Thank god for for our silent heros who do their talking on the pitch and leave it at that. The more we hold them up the better

On a side note that title surely is a piss take or is that just my mind looking for double entendres?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 02, 2009, 12:21:57 PM
QuoteI'm looking forward to this - it should be a good read

I thought you'd be waiting for Paraic Clancy's !!

He's been keeping his head down since 'that' interview in the Laois Nationalist a few years ago!

johnneycool

Considering that the players line currently is that all they want to do is play and that the strike part 2 is a thing of the past then surely for the good of Cork hurling it would have been better for Donal O'g to hold fire for a year or two to allow the wounds to heal. Bringing out a book now is only going to stirr the shit again.
I'd say Denis won't be too happy as he'd the whole thing quietened down and getting back to hurling, now the feckin journo's will be all over the place again

theskull1

orangeman

The saviour of Cork hurling is entitled to cash in all the same. He's been a great player and a great leader and we shouldn't begrudge him a few quid, especially now that the grants are going or may be gone.

Fair play to him. You have to admire his gall.

AZOffaly

Lads, I don't really have a problem with this. I think Donal Og is an agitator and an opportunist, but he has had an interesting life in GAA terms. I don't actually begrudge people making a bit of cash on the back of their profile in the game, as long as it is outside the game itself.  I'll probably buy it, the same way I bought Roy Keane's book , i.e. to hear his side of the story. I'll make up my own mind about him based on that, just like I did with Keane.

As for the title of the book, and the timing, well I'd say it's Donal Og's last few months in the game he has played for years, so it's not unusual to have pre-publicity during the busy period of the summer. The title, I'm sure, was from his publisher and it's not unusual seeing as how he's been a key figure in those times.

theskull1

I believe he's been intentionally controversial all along just so that he can, down the line (now) tell his side of the story and make a few pound from it. The story he has intentionally created. He's no dope I'm sure and knows how modern media works as an industry.

Are any of youse blind to that possibility?

INDIANA

Its the timing of it AZ. It all wrong. Could he not wait until he packed up playing- unless he intends to do so? Another winter of discontent. The game is bigger than the players. Not sure some of them realise that.