Declan O'Sullivan hangs the boots up.

Started by orangeman, November 19, 2014, 09:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

One of the best of his generation. One of the greats of Kerry football. A joy to watch.

Thanks for the memories.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Sad but expected news. The knees are in a bad way so it's the right call. Only 31, but 13 years in one of the toughest positions in the game have taken their toll. He has some record on paper but more than that, he was a leader..overcame many obstacles along the way and rose to the very top of the ladder in our game. Farewell and thanks for the memories Dec.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

orangeman

I suppose when you're as successful as Kerry are and have been it is easier to do, but they do show class when it comes to most things :

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1735&full=y

5 Sams

Back to back AI winning captain says it all. Legend. His knees are fcuked I hear. Not even starting for Dromid these days. Owes Kerry nothing.
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

I heard this on Saturday after they lost the Junior final to Brosna. He only managed 10 minutes at the end, and was hobbling around. A great servant, and I know it hurts him badly not to be able to give Dromid a few good years. I firmly believe that had Gooch not been injured in early 2014, Declan would not have played for Kerry this year. He basically stayed on to give the young forwards a bit of leadership in the dressing room, and on the pitch when he could, because without Galvin and Gooch they were fairly exposed for experienced leader types.

He'll tell you himself he did himself no favours sometimes with the way he'd lose the rag, but I've never seen a fella so provoked in nearly every match he played, largely due to the fact that opponents knew he was prone to getting frustrated at times.

All that being said, he was a vital cog in a very successful period for Kerry, and lifted Sam twice. I saw him evolve from a raw 16 year old corner forward with a lovely left foot, via a scoring star on a great Collaiste na Sceillige team, including that battle v Jarlaths and Michael Meehan in Limerick, into one of the best ball carrying and 'set up men' in the country. His value to Kerry was immense, especially in the mid/late 00s.

He'll be missed by Kerry, and he should be missed by all followers of Gaelic Football. It's a sad week with the retirement of Stevie O'Neill above in Tyrone, and Declan O'Sullivan down the other end of the country. Two great players of the last 15 years or so.

I hope Declan can sort his knees out so that he is able to get around without being in pain as he gets older, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him tempted back to Dromid at some stage.

** Edit, I see his statement refers to inter county, my post is based on what I heard at the weekend from Dromid. Maybe he is planning on keeping going with Dromid, and his stance on Saturday was one of those frustrated evenings after a big loss late in your career.

orangeman

His statement says about Dromid :

Hopefully, after a long rest and some corrective work on my knees, I will be able to enjoy playing with my club for a number of years to come.

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on November 19, 2014, 10:20:48 AM

Hopefully, after a long rest and some corrective work on my knees, I will be able to enjoy playing with my club for a number of years to come.

Yeah, I see that. I think the key word might be 'Hopefully'.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 19, 2014, 10:22:24 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 19, 2014, 10:20:48 AM

Yeah, I see that. I think the key word might be 'Hopefully'.

Aye I would think it is hope more then expectation. His knees seem to be in mush alright.

theticklemister

I'll never forgive him for placing a few pound on them against those fighting men from Derrytresk. They were 2/7 but I thought as he was playing they would be a shoe in. I thought wrong.

Great player

Rossfan

Another good man gone.
Best wishes on your retirement.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Agree Rossfan. I think you sometimes forget how many great footballers have played the game over the past few years, and indeed how many we have today. Another man who may not get the credit he deserves due to injuries hindering him somewhat. Himself and O'Neill at their peaks in the same team would have been worth a look!

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 19, 2014, 10:12:09 AM

All that being said, he was a vital cog in a very successful period for Kerry, and lifted Sam twice. I saw him evolve from a raw 16 year old corner forward with a lovely left foot, via a scoring star on a great Collaiste na Sceillige team, including that battle v Jarlaths and Michael Meehan in Limerick, into one of the best ball carrying and 'set up men' in the country. His value to Kerry was immense, especially in the mid/late 00s.

The Sad thing is both Declan O'S and Michael Meehan are two quite young men with serious chronic injuries who have retired this year. Due to both being excellent footballers (who could not be replaced) they were both were (I'm sure) had pressure (for use of a better word) put on them to play with injuries rather than proper rest and recuperation.

longballin

Only for Tyrone and Derrytresk he'd have four more All Ireland medals... ho hum...  :P

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 19, 2014, 07:10:05 PM

The Sad thing is both Declan O'S and Michael Meehan are two quite young men with serious chronic injuries who have retired this year.

To be fair to Meehan he was adamant to say he hasn't retired yet and just wanted to recuperate the ankle last year and he may play again in 2015. That said I don't think anyone would be too surprised if he does pack it in.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 19, 2014, 07:41:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 19, 2014, 07:10:05 PM

The Sad thing is both Declan O'S and Michael Meehan are two quite young men with serious chronic injuries who have retired this year.

To be fair to Meehan he was adamant to say he hasn't retired yet and just wanted to recuperate the ankle last year and he may play again in 2015. That said I don't think anyone would be too surprised if he does pack it in.

Yeah, you are correct. Both the are the same age. Both still want to play football. At their age most players expect to be playing at some level. There are similarities in their burdens. I hope what ever they do, that it is the correct thing to do for their future health and well being.