Monaghan v Dublin AI Semi Final 15 July 2023

Started by donelli, July 13, 2023, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Dublin have won a lot of games this year without playing particularly well.  I'd be happy enough with a repeat of that in the final.  Might be a while before we see one again.

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on July 15, 2023, 09:01:08 PM
I think the amount of lads who want to ride Hurson would need to look at things properly!

Yes he got a few calls right as you'd expect but he missed a blatant black card against Fenton for the goal chance and then 2 very handy Dublin frees in the first half! One of the Dublin lads grabbed a Monaghan arm then remonstrated he was held?! It wasn't good enough!!!

Dublin were very poor today. Scully and the Basquel were totally anonymous. Fenton was poor until the last 10 minutes to be fair. Plenty to pick at for the AIF!
Dublin have only looked like the old Dublin in the 2nd half v Mayo. After that game the hype machine went on turbo charge.  Definitely a good team, but as it stands now I'd favour the other semi final Derry/Kerry.

Aaron Boone

At this stage of the year the big guns Kerry, Dublin & Derry are effectively shadow boxing before the big hits.

Tomorrow is the first time two of the heavyweights go together. 

imtommygunn

Tbf the last ten to fifteen minutes today too.

Hurson actually made some very good calls but also at key moments made a couple of bad ones against Monaghan though I don't think it would have impacted the game. I don't think many would have made that off the ground or over carrying call he made against O'Callaghan but they were bang on.

The likes of Kieran hughes and the number six going off for Monaghan impacted them I think but they were busted and they didn't have the depth to cover it.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: screenexile on July 15, 2023, 09:58:00 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 15, 2023, 09:42:15 PM
I think the amount of lads who want to ride Hurson would need to look at things properly!

Yes he got a few calls right as you'd expect but he missed a blatant black card against Fenton for the goal chance and then 2 very handy Dublin frees in the first half! One of the Dublin lads grabbed a Monaghan arm then remonstrated he was held?! It wasn't good enough!!!

Dublin were very poor today. Scully and the Basquel were totally anonymous. Fenton was poor until the last 10 minutes to be fair. Plenty to pick at for the AIF!

Look at yourself. Scully played 15. Got a black card and was subbed. Hard to stand out in 25 mins 15 of which he spent in the sin bin.

Yes... Dublin are in the habit of changing lads 10 Mins before half time... do you think there was a reason he was subbed??

Scully was never talented enough to deserve a place in this Dublin team.

Jell 0 Biafra

Scully had some good seasons, but he hasn't  impressed  the last few years.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 15, 2023, 10:29:46 PM
Scully had some good seasons, but he hasn't  impressed  the last few years.

His mistakes are what ultimately lost the Mayo game in the 2021 semi final.

Jell 0 Biafra

Nah, that was lost on the line.  We had Mayo on the ropes at the end of the first half, and instead of finishing them, we resorted  to keep ball. I'm  guessing  as a way to preserve  energy for the 2nd half, but it definitely  backfired.

restorepride

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 15, 2023, 10:22:28 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 15, 2023, 09:58:00 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 15, 2023, 09:42:15 PM

Look at yourself. Scully played 15. Got a black card and was subbed. Hard to stand out in 25 mins 15 of which he spent in the sin bin.

Yes... Dublin are in the habit of changing lads 10 Mins before half time... do you think there was a reason he was subbed??

Scully was never talented enough to deserve a place in this Dublin team.
A bit harsh there, great player Scully.  He was subbed today so that he didn't pick up another card.  Most teams will not take that chance.

Wildweasel74

Monaghan played rightly, not shit themselves again, as a Tyrone man said on here, needed a midfielder, to allow Mohan to play in at Full forward, Dublin def not great under the high ball, last line of defence. McCarron should been Brought on earlier. I just thought they run out of steam, and we're running on empty with 5mins to go plus injury time. Derry lack of a strong bench, would worry me, looking at the end of the game here.

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 15, 2023, 11:00:04 PM
Monaghan played rightly, not shit themselves again, as a Tyrone man said on here, needed a midfielder, to allow Mohan to play in at Full forward, Dublin def not great under the high ball, last line of defence. McCarron should been Brought on earlier. I just thought they run out of steam, and we're running on empty with 5mins to go plus injury time. Derry lack of a strong bench, would worry me, looking at the end of the game here.
Fairly ignorant comment, maybe he should try telling Darren Hughes to his face?!   ;D ;D

Jell 0 Biafra

Monaghan did little wrong.  Level scores with about 10 mins of normal time left.  Just faded after that.  Some great performances.  McManus is a class act.  I hope he gives it another year.

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2023, 07:48:41 PM
I thought Monaghan would have played out the last quarter better when they leveled it at 12-12, but their sensibilities departed the stage and a kickout  press reaped rewards for the Dubs. Kudos to Vinny, he orchestrated a good competitive Monaghan at the highest level in the GAA
Hurson made some good decisions but at the same time overall he was worth a clear 4 points to Dublin. I though he was poor in the Ulster s/f but then Derry were vastly superior to Mon. Here in a close game his name will forever have a black mark. Even so, in all probability the Dubs would have crawled over the line without his assistance.
At last someone who is calling out Hurson. I was at it and in the unusual position that i didnt mind who won. I also counted a clear +4 points in decisions that went dublins way. The killer one for me was early in the second half when there was a clear free to monghan in the hogan/davin corner. Dublin turned the ball over and got a quick score. Thats a 2 point swing. He done a monaghan fellow for steps in the middle of the pitch just after he done dublin. Really harsh call that was clearly all about balancing the books but then kilkenny is allowed his normal 7 or 8 steps afterwards. I agree that in the end Dublin's subs were always going to get the job done but Hurson ensured there was no doubt. The ref should have been from connaught or munster. That was the argument that i heard on my way out and i don't disagree. The GAA need to be smarter about these things.

Wildweasel74

Would you have wanted Conor Lane? I wouldn't.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 15, 2023, 10:19:32 PM
At this stage of the year the big guns Kerry, Dublin & Derry are effectively shadow boxing before the big hits.

Tomorrow is the first time two of the heavyweights go together.

Lol Derry heavyweights lol