Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Jesus the BBC can fair do it . . . that Andrew Castle lad from the Tennis yesterday just reminded me of Sidebottom every time he spoke!

Hardy

That reminds me - Boris Becker. The Martin Carney of tennis. McEnroe analyses, informs and entertains - brilliant co-commentator. Boris gives us shrewd observations like - "break point for the Swiss" - even though the score is on the screen and it even has a caption saying "break point". (He kept calling Fereder "The Swiss"!) Or insights like "all square again", "<whoever> must win this game" when he's defending a match point, etc. The high point of his analysis for the fortnight, however, was when the camera showed some bloke in the crowd. Boris: "nice light blue tie".

ONeill

That 'bloke' was McEnroe. FFS.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on July 09, 2012, 10:37:47 AM

It was . . . did he not say something like "Nice blue tie . . . what a champion!"

It was totally cringey!!

rodney trotter

Sidebottom does alot of soccer commentary in the Irish League, a bit like Ger Ganning and Darragh Maloney doing commentary during euro 12... its sounds all wrong. Maloney was presenting one night and the next day he was doing Cork- Tipp in the munster hurling, Pay the tv bills to listen to that muck.

ONeill

Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2012, 10:40:05 AM

It was . . . did he not say something like "Nice blue tie . . . what a champion!"

It was totally cringey!!

One of the greatest players or something like that. Becker likes to play up to the arrogant persona bestowed upon him by the Brits. Talks a lot about his ego as if it's funny. Also rides women in cupboards.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rosnarun

i have not real all this but is there Really 30 pages here devoted to a critque of Mark sidebottom??? FFS.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

screenexile

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 09, 2012, 10:43:10 AM
Sidebottom does alot of soccer commentary in the Irish League, a bit like Ger Ganning and Darragh Maloney doing commentary during euro 12... its sounds all wrong. Maloney was presenting one night and the next day he was doing Cork- Tipp in the munster hurling, Pay the tv bills to listen to that muck.

As far as I know Maloney has been a football commentator long before he did the GAA and is a regular presenter of RTE's Premiership programme. He commentates on both well so I don't see what the problem is!

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: rosnarun on July 09, 2012, 10:51:22 AM
i have not real all this but is there Really 30 pages here devoted to a critque of Mark sidebottom??? FFS.

No.
Why just on this page alone we have boris becker and darragh maloney being discussed;

only in gaaboardland eh  :)

rodney trotter

Maloney was doing the soccer commentary before Gaelic yeah, but surely they could have people for GAA and Soccer in RTE without covering both, i'm a big fan of both sports, maybe they like variety in RTE.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 09, 2012, 12:03:29 PM
Maloney was doing the soccer commentary before Gaelic yeah, but surely they could have people for GAA and Soccer in RTE without covering both, i'm a big fan of both sports, maybe they like variety in RTE.
One commentator covering all manner of sports (like Barry Davies) is much more cost-effective. There is recession on or have you not noticed  ;)

Hardy

Yeah - forgot it was McEnroe.It was the unbelievable comment that was memorable.

rodney trotter

Recession is a foreign word around Cavan ???

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 09, 2012, 12:03:29 PM
but surely they could have people for GAA and Soccer in RTE without covering both, i'm a big fan of both sports, maybe they like variety in RTE.

Why?

What if the man/woman likes both sports and likes to commentate on both?

Should RTÉ just say - nope, sorry, no can do in line with the RodneyTrotter policy of one sport per commentator?  :P ;D
i usse an speelchekor

rodney trotter

Ha, i'm not saying they mightn't like covering both sports.

Just giving my opinion that i don't like Ganning on commentary for soccer etc. We all have an opinion at the end of the day, i wouldn't expect RTE to change over what rodney trotter said ;D