Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 11, 2020, 09:45:27 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 11, 2020, 05:57:33 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 11, 2020, 05:39:03 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 11, 2020, 04:36:37 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2020, 11:22:03 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 10, 2020, 09:02:00 PM
Jaysus Tyrone were robbed that day. Robbed.

Robbed me hole.

McMenamins foot block (that's a penalty), knees on McEntee, elbowing another, and still no red card?

McEntee through on goal fouled by Cavanagh, nothing given.

Take off your red tinted glasses

It's amazing people still talk about what Ricey did that day and barely a dickey bird on what Paul McGrane did. A filthy closed fist tackle on McGuigan that caught him around the face and should have been a straight red and later on in the game he left the knees in on Gormley after he was fouled.

Did McGrane get a ban after that match?

McGrane's was during play. McMen's wasn't. Plenty of players tackle with a closed fist. But it was mistimed and it should have been red. I won't deny that. By the way, it was Jordan.

Don't recall the Gormley incident. Was it shown last night?

Tyrone got the lawyers in, and got their innocent lads off. McGrane ban was overturned too.

What difference does that make?

Both were done with intent and malice, the force of McGrane's swing was a lot more dangerous than McMenamin's if anything.

The Gormley incident was shown last night, McGrane went in with his knees on a prone Gormley rather than dropping on him, again very dangerous at the minimum.

Can't remember if McGrane got a ban at the time but it was reckless at the minimum and you don't tackle with a close fist with that kind of force unless you want to do a bit of damage.

You cannot for one second say for sure if McGrane meant to do damage or not with that tackle. He should have been red carded though, that's beyond doubt. McMenamin on the other hand....

I had also forgotten about some of your players tendency to grip an opponents arm and fall to ground winning a free. Sneaky. Refs should have been wise to it

I can say it.

Tackling with a closed fist is absolutely illegal and incredibly dangerous, particularly with the force and height McGrane went at it with. It was an absolute nailed on red card and incredibly reckless which could have made a bloodbath of Jordans face if it connected properly.

You should have watched some of the Armagh player grabbing arms too, Brian Mallon was a great man to engineer a free in that manner, McConville as well.

What McMenamin did was nasty, what McGrane did was completely reckless and probably even more dangerous that McMenamin.

McGrane's was one of those cheap shots that regularly get passed off as macho stuff. They should be clamped down on and serious bans handed out because if they connect you're looking a lad getting 20 stitches or losing 3 or 4 teeth.

They were two great teams who were each capable of crossing the line, Tyrone just had that bit more of guile about them. It was clear as day though that Armagh were targetting an awful lot of Tyrone players with late hits off the ball in that game. McNulty, McGrane, McEntee and McKeever were all upending Tyrone runners coming through after they had played the ball.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on May 11, 2020, 10:00:25 PM

Robbed me hole.

McMenamins foot block (that's a penalty), knees on McEntee, elbowing another, and still no red card?

It's amazing people still talk about what Ricey did that day and barely a dickey bird on what Paul McGrane did. A filthy closed fist tackle on McGuigan that caught him around the face and should have been a straight red and later on in the game he left the knees in on Gormley after he was fouled.

McGrane's was during play. McMen's wasn't. Plenty of players tackle with a closed fist. But it was mistimed and it should have been red. I won't deny that. By the way, it was Jordan.

Tyrone got the lawyers in, and got their innocent lads off. McGrane ban was overturned too.

Both were done with intent and malice, the force of McGrane's swing was a lot more dangerous than McMenamin's if anything.

The Gormley incident was shown last night, McGrane went in with his knees on a prone Gormley rather than dropping on him, again very dangerous at the minimum.

Can't remember if McGrane got a ban at the time but it was reckless at the minimum and you don't tackle with a close fist with that kind of force unless you want to do a bit of damage.

You cannot for one second say for sure if McGrane meant to do damage or not with that tackle. He should have been red carded though, that's beyond doubt. McMenamin on the other hand....

I had also forgotten about some of your players tendency to grip an opponents arm and fall to ground winning a free. Sneaky. Refs should have been wise to it

I can say it.

Tackling with a closed fist is absolutely illegal and incredibly dangerous, particularly with the force and height McGrane went at it with. It was an absolute nailed on red card and incredibly reckless which could have made a bloodbath of Jordans face if it connected properly.

You should have watched some of the Armagh player grabbing arms too, Brian Mallon was a great man to engineer a free in that manner, McConville as well.

What McMenamin did was nasty, what McGrane did was completely reckless and probably even more dangerous that McMenamin.

McGrane's was one of those cheap shots that regularly get passed off as macho stuff. They should be clamped down on and serious bans handed out because if they connect you're looking a lad getting 20 stitches or losing 3 or 4 teeth.

They were two great teams who were each capable of crossing the line, Tyrone just had that bit more of guile about them. It was clear as day though that Armagh were targetting an awful lot of Tyrone players with late hits off the ball in that game. McNulty, McGrane, McEntee and McKeever were all upending Tyrone runners coming through after they had played the ball.

Nah. You can't say it at all. Not with any certainty. Are we talking about MeMenamim dropping the knees on McEntee or elbowing McCann? That was some rivalry and I had a severe hatred of that Tyrone team at the time. Looking back on it you have to admire them. ONeill in particular was an amazing player. Dooher another though in a completely different way. However, ricey, Jordan and Cavanagh are irredeemable IMO. Obviously you will have different opinions to me but that's football

redzone

Jesus the players don't hold as much if a grudge as some of the supporters on both sides
Easy knowing some of ye never kicked a ball, if you did you would have done a few of them things yourselves

tonto1888

Quote from: redzone on May 11, 2020, 10:24:12 PM
Jesus the players don't hold as much if a grudge as some of the supporters on both sides
Easy knowing some of ye never kicked a ball, if you did you would have done a few of them things yourselves

Played plenty myself. Can't say I ever dropped the knees on anyone tho

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 11, 2020, 10:04:48 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 11, 2020, 10:00:25 PM

Robbed me hole.

I can say it.

Nah. You can't say it at all. Not with any certainty. Are we talking about MeMenamim dropping the knees on McEntee or elbowing McCann? That was some rivalry and I had a severe hatred of that Tyrone team at the time. Looking back on it you have to admire them. ONeill in particular was an amazing player. Dooher another though in a completely different way. However, ricey, Jordan and Cavanagh are irredeemable IMO. Obviously you will have different opinions to me but that's football

You can say it fairly certainly.

Look at the motion of McGrane, if you're going for the ball you raise your hand up and slap it down. McGrane has drawn his arm back and with a closed fist has tried to burst Jordan as the term goes, there's no doubt about it there, he's tried to do him there and disguise it as a tackle. It wasn't mistimed, it was a completely illegal and reckless challenge that should have been a straight red card and could have caused Jordan a serious injury had it caught him flush.

Elbowing McCann was a retaliatory reaction to McCann dragging out of him after the free had been awarded and stopping him from taking the quick one.

It takes two to tango and Armagh got away with an awful lot more in that game than Tyrone did, it was clear as day that they went out to rough Tyrone up so it's a little rich that they draw so much anger over Ricey giving them a bit of it back.

Angelo

In fact McGrane's hit on Jordan was almost a carbon copy of the hit that probably cost Armagh an All Ireland in 2004 when Enda McNulty did Marty McGrath on the sideline and got the line, it was the sort of act that would have you in prison if you did it on the street on a Saturday night. McGrath wasn't as lucky as Jordan though and was split open and played the remainder of the game with a bandage around his chin.

Ethan Tremblay

You are in absolute lala land if you think McGranes closed fist was worse than Riceys knee drop.  Absolute bonkers. 

Both should have been red cards and bans, and anyone that disputes that need to go away and have a word with themselves. 

One was during play, and one was when play was stopped, their is a massive difference between these two incidents, but neither can be defended.

I think people are looking through their tinted glasses and don't want to sully the memory of their counties past heros, but its amazing to see the feeling of 15years ago still linger for some. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Angelo

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 12, 2020, 09:55:41 AM
You are in absolute lala land if you think McGranes closed fist was worse than Riceys knee drop.  Absolute bonkers. 

Both should have been red cards and bans, and anyone that disputes that need to go away and have a word with themselves. 

One was during play, and one was when play was stopped, their is a massive difference between these two incidents, but neither can be defended.

I think people are looking through their tinted glasses and don't want to sully the memory of their counties past heros, but its amazing to see the feeling of 15years ago still linger for some.

It was more reckless and dangerous, for sure.

Why should it matter if it was during play or not? That's an extremely weak excuse, McGrane went to do Jordan, of that I have absolutley no doubt - what he did was a textbook illegal tackle with excessive force and he went to burst him.

You say neither can be defended after you're actually making a case to defend the McGrane one, absolutely bonkers indeed.

Both sides had plenty of players who crossed the line, all top teams do but don't let the narrartive get in the way of the truth.

Ethan Tremblay

How am I making a case to defend McGrane? Both should have been red cards and bans, I clearly stated that did I not?

I don't understand what you mean when you say "why should it matter if it was during play or not"?
Are you trying to say there is no difference in what Ricey done if it happened when the ball was live or not? is that it?

Again neither incidents can be excused in my eyes, but you misinterpret and argue away if it helps you sleep better at night Angelo!

Ed Ricketts

Ethan, meet Angelo...

We've had some all star quality blinkeredness over the years. Syferus, Indiana, some of the real greats. But this guy could well top the lot.

Not a sliver of Tyrone minutiae ever escapes his revision. His county men must burst with pride reading these contributions.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Angelo

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 12, 2020, 11:26:40 AM
How am I making a case to defend McGrane? Both should have been red cards and bans, I clearly stated that did I not?

I don't understand what you mean when you say "why should it matter if it was during play or not"?
Are you trying to say there is no difference in what Ricey done if it happened when the ball was live or not? is that it?

Again neither incidents can be excused in my eyes, but you misinterpret and argue away if it helps you sleep better at night Angelo!

That's exactly what I'm saying - intent is intent whether the ball is there or not. They are both clearcut - they went to do their opponent - McGrane's was actually a lot more dangeorus such was the force he went at with a closed fist.

Saying that the ball was in play is as weak an excuse to defend McGrane as you could think. The ball was in play when Roy Keane went to end a fellow pros career so it's not a legitimate reason to downgrade what McGrane did.

Angelo

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 12, 2020, 11:42:22 AM

Ethan, meet Angelo...

We've had some all star quality blinkeredness over the years. Syferus, Indiana, some of the real greats. But this guy could well top the lot.

Not a sliver of Tyrone minutiae ever escapes his revision. His county men must burst with pride reading these contributions.

So you have an issue with balance?

I've made no attempts to defend what McMenamin did, it's quite clearcut.

There's a few lads who have tried to defend what McGrane did, which is also fairly clearcut. I think you're preaching to the wrong choir here.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Angelo on May 12, 2020, 11:56:22 AM

Ethan, meet Angelo...

There's a few lads who have tried to defend what McGrane did, which is also fairly clearcut. I think you're preaching to the wrong choir here.

Brian McGuigan getting a wee touch in another thread there. Go do your thing.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Angelo

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 12, 2020, 12:07:29 PM

Ethan, meet Angelo...

I see you are completely unable to dispute the points.

Why do you have such an issue with balance?

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 12, 2020, 12:07:29 PM

Ethan, meet Angelo...

LMAO