Family Board Games

Started by J OGorman, November 03, 2010, 04:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minus15

Monopoly is the best board game by a mile

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 03, 2010, 07:44:40 PM
Draughts was our main game growing up
Scrabble was ours, we would have played till the wee hours once the board came out
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Tony Baloney

The brother in true banker fashion was a thieving hoor and could never be trusted with the Monopoly funds.

ziggysego

Monopoly was a great game when I was growing up, but it sometimes when on far too long. I'd nothing better to do with my time. I was just waiting for the Internet to be invented and someone create the gaaboard. However my siblings had more to be doing, so we seldom finished a game.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 03, 2010, 08:34:36 PM
Scrabble was ours, we would have played till the wee hours once the board came out
It wouldn't last hours in our house. Fits of bad temper, wrecking the board, name calling, thumping and kicking and my ma swearing the game was never seeing the light of day again was generally how things ended.

Good times.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Onion Bag

Never get fed up playing Snakes and ladders,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Family guy

Quote from: caughtredhanded on November 03, 2010, 06:09:43 PM
Do they still make Connect 4? We spent many's an evening playing it in our house as kids.

Dont think i ever lost a game of connect 4,just wana put that out there

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 03, 2010, 09:57:27 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 03, 2010, 08:34:36 PM
It wouldn't last hours in our house. Fits of bad temper, wrecking the board, name calling, thumping and kicking and my ma swearing the game was never seeing the light of day again was generally how things ended.

Good times.
;D

We would have played by the light of a stove, or candles or an oul gas lamp and written all the scores on the inside of the box to keep them for posterity!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

muppet

Monopoly is the entry level to board games.

Some good ones below:

MWWSI 2017

ardmhachaabu

Escape from Colditz brings back memories!

Main Street

Risk would be my game of choice, but it's strictly for the boys, i.e. if you want to have some competitive - 'take no prisoner' fun, from a board game, for hours on end.

Lone Shark

Generally any of the ones by Ravensburger are pretty good and work well for parents with kids. Some of the ones that were really popular in our house were Wildlife Adventure, Discovering Europe and Scotland Yard. Rummikub is brilliant as well, particularly when you get good at it and people try maneouvring the whole board and bending the rules, but the ultimate game, which is so good it has replaced cards for our (fully adult) post Christmas entertainment is this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/126/the-really-nasty-horse-racing-game

We got the motor racing and golf equivalents after, but they were nowhere near as good. The only caveat for this game is that you need four to make it even close to good, while it's at it's best with five or six. Even if it's only for when friends are over though, we've spread this to three different houses now and everyone that gets it, loves it. For three players , I would recommend Rummikub or Wildlife Adventure, or scrabble, as was mentioned here. Scrabble is a sure fire way to start rows though.

Gaaman

Discovering Ireland was a big favourite in our household.  :-\

STREET FIGHTER

I enjoyed the mouse trap board game as a cub.

Billys Boots

QuoteSome of the ones that were really popular in our house were Wildlife Adventure, Discovering Europe and Scotland Yard.

Yeah, we had Scotland Yard and liked it (many moons ago).  There was another complicated one (like Cleudo) called 221B Baker St. that I played with my siblings.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...