"the kids are alright!!??"

Started by lawnseed, March 23, 2017, 02:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Can't speak for all Catholic schools but from secondary school years 1-3 we got what I think was the early part of GCSE history which was very much English-centric once you got out of the middle ages. (I didn't go on to do history for the last 2 years, but in hindsight I should have.)

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 25, 2017, 09:26:25 PM
Can't speak for all Catholic schools but from secondary school years 1-3 we got what I think was the early part of GCSE history which was very much English-centric once you got out of the middle ages. (I didn't go on to do history for the last 2 years, but in hindsight I should have.)

Unless CCEA has changed from a few years ago, for both A-Level and GCSE they have a range of options to choose from for every module. I know at least one of the GCSE modules covered the 60s/70s/80s (not sure which years). At A-Level, all the schools I knew did something along the lines of 1820-1870 Ireland (Emancipation, the Lichfield House Compact, Repeal, the Famine and the Fenians), the 1912-23 period and also different strands of Unionism in the latter 19th century. The fourth module they studied tended to vary.

EDIT: I think there was also a bit at GCSE on the Economic War and Ireland (north and south) during The Emergency.

Tony Baloney

The CCEA curriculum has either German or American history with a further compulsory module of Irish History from either 1920-1949 or 1965-Good Friday Agreement.