Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

ludermor

Prime Time now, absolutely shocking stuff.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Orior on November 26, 2009, 09:29:43 PM
Okay, so there were very bad eggs in the priesthood, and peoples lives were ruined.

Do people on this board want:

1 ) perpretators put in jail
2 ) aiding and abetting put in jail
3 ) sack cloth and ashes
4 ) the church disbanded
5 ) compo
6 ) an apology
7 ) all the above
8 ) none of the above
9 ) something else?

(Updated following 5Sams post)

- 1 & 2 & 5 definetely
- If i were a victim an apology now would be pretty meaningless.
- All state funding removed from catholic church for a period until it demonstrates it deserves it
- Church removed from all schools, hospitals etc, Compulsory purchase of all relevant assets to achieve this, for say a token €1.
- Letter of protest sent to the pope outlining the disgust of the government.
- Laws introduced that makes it a minimum 10 year offence for anyone who knows of child abuse and does not inform authorities.
- Rights of the child enshrined in the constitution.
- Any mention of special place for catholic church in law or constitution removed.

orangeman

pintsofguinness

what's happening on prime time?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Yes I Would

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 26, 2009, 10:16:52 PM

Pretty graphic detail what these evil bastards were up to, and how it was covered up and brushed under the carpet!!
Hope they rot in hell!

muppet

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 26, 2009, 10:16:52 PM
harrowing.

Miriam and 3 other women, lots of hand wringing and a humble Bishop we should be grateful for although he couldn't answer any question when the women got around to asking any.

2 ministers wouldn't go on the show.

Aside from the chatter the reports of activities of individual offenders and the cover-ups were particularly harrowing.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

The protection and covering up of Fr. Greene in Donegal was particularly shocking. Moved from one parish to another. Truly amazing.

Rois

That Fr Greene story was absolutely diabolical.  I was in tears at parts of Prime Time.  Felt pretty sorry for the Archbishop, he is carrying the weight of the whole lot on his shoulders. 

The psycho-analyst was pretty poor though - maybe I just misunderstood her role.

This is so sad (but necessary) to hear.  How, how could there be such a concentration of paedophiles in a pretty small population of priests?  What made so many of them think it was acceptable?  There has to be a lot of psychology behind the behaviour.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Rois on November 26, 2009, 11:17:36 PM
That Fr Greene story was absolutely diabolical.  I was in tears at parts of Prime Time.  Felt pretty sorry for the Archbishop, he is carrying the weight of the whole lot on his shoulders. 

The psycho-analyst was pretty poor though - maybe I just misunderstood her role.

This is so sad (but necessary) to hear.  How, how could there be such a concentration of paedophiles in a pretty small population of priests?  What made so many of them think it was acceptable?  There has to be a lot of psychology behind the behaviour.

Same as that Rois... I find that very distressing to watch. I be looking at mantle piece at pics of my kids. They are evil b**tards including the ones who covered up. How the f** could they cover that. Sickening. I never darken the door of the church anyway,. Is totally corrupt. Sean Brady comes across as very shallow, trying to say the right thing. The survivers are the heroes in this country. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Diarmuid Martin is truly repentant, shocked, sorrowful and aghast, on behalf of the evil bastards who abused under the protection of the Catholic Church authorities, of which there were a multitude. And let's not forget, they (certain Church orders) were calling the abused liars and fantasists right up until very, very recently.

At the root of all this, in my opinion, is the contemptible, corrupting vow of celibacy, something that was introduced solely to protect the Churches' assets on Earth from the 'threat' of inheritance, i.e., protect material. It had no basis in theology, though a theological framework was contrived around it over the centuries as the casuits and sophists spun and wove, and all the while the young innocent were being buggered, raped, and killed.

It wasn't just the celibacy vow of course, but that laid the groundwork wherein it offered 'respectable' sanctuary for depraved monsters like 'Father' Seán Fortune in Wexford, who probably couldn't believe his luck having being ordained and bestowed with all the inbuilt unquestioned trust that that position entailed and guaranteed. Sick. And all the while, the Christian Catholic Church shimmied and skived to move the abusers around like harmless draughts on a board, to some other place where they could abuse with a clean sheet again, and with sure impunity regardless of the twisted depths of their perversion.

There are good priests, and I feel for them, for such will be the fallout here that the scattergun of opprobrium will spare few, if any. But if the Catholic Church wants to have any relevance, trust (ha!), or future it needs to address the shameful source of sacrilege that celibacy is.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ludermor

If they were allowed to have sex with a woman (or man?) would that stop them raping kids?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ludermor on November 26, 2009, 11:48:46 PM
If they were allowed to have sex with a woman (or man?) would that stop them raping kids?

Where the feck do I say that?

But no, it almost certainly wouldn't, but no more than the usual sexual deviant Joe, of which there are a few. My whole point is that it's such a contrived, unnatural stricture that it's going to pervert, much more than a random sample of the ordinary Joes would be perverted (and it isn't just the blokes you know).

longrunsthefox

A lot of shite talk there Fear an Srath Ban. Celebacy like f**. If celebacy was a problem why didn't they go and have sex with adult women or men if that is their thing or even pay a prostitute. They were paedophiles... forget the dog collar shite. Evil paedos who probably got into the church to get acess to kids and be trusted. Jees! if someone goes a while without sex they don't get the urge to rape a child!!.... unless they are paedophiles.   
As for Martin being truly repentant... by his actions he will be judged... like standing down the bishops that covered up... 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 26, 2009, 11:54:14 PM
A lot of shite talk there Fear an Srath Ban. Celebacy like f**. If celebacy was a problem why didn't they go and have sex with adult women or men if that is their thing or even apy a prostitute.
Celibacy isn't natural, and neither you, nor anyone else can predict exactly how humans react to such unnatural directives. Adult women or men likely involved more risk, and so perverted were they that adults may not have cut it. Who are you, David Attenborough? You don't know, all I know is that something that's so unnatural cannot be good for a soul.

They were paedophiles... forget the dog collar shite. Evil paedos who probably got into the church to get acess to kids and be trusted. Jees! if someone goes a while without sex they don't get the urge to rape a child!!.... unless they are paedophiles.   
Read what I wrote again slowly, especially the sanctuary bit.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 26, 2009, 11:58:59 PM
A lot of shite talk there Fear an Srath Ban. Celebacy like f**. If celebacy was a problem why didn't they go and have sex with adult women or men if that is their thing or even apy a prostitute.
Celibacy isn't natural, and neither you, nor anyone else can predict exactly how humans react to such unnatural directives. Adult women or men likely involved more risk, and so perverted were they that adults may not have cut it. Who are you, David Attenborough? You don't know, all I know is that something that's so unnatural cannot be good for a soul.

They were paedophiles... forget the dog collar shite. Evil paedos who probably got into the church to get acess to kids and be trusted. Jees! if someone goes a while without sex they don't get the urge to rape a child!!.... unless they are paedophiles.   
Read what I wrote again slowly, especially the sanctuary bit.

What are you, a psychologist?  :P  These 'good priests' you talk about... they are celebate, many for years, and don't rape (and beat little children). Blaming this as a reaction to celebacy is like an excuse for them. anyway they werent celebate!! They were getting their perverted needs met as paedophiles same as paedos who molest their own children and are married.