Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2022, 10:25:40 AM
Never seen it, though have watched some of the games, was heading to a game last night listening on the radio, the girl that commentates for 5 Live is hard to listen too, was hurting my ears tbh

what accent was it ?

clarshack

I've enjoyed the England Ladies winning this actually as it really shows the men's team up to be the Perennial losers that they are lol.

seafoid

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 01, 2022, 07:27:02 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2022, 08:43:35 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/nicolelampert/status/1553814177831178242

My boys asked why I was crying and I told them that when I was little girls weren't allowed to play football (outside than in the garden or park). There's been such a fight to get here before they even entered the stadium glorious #Lionesses

Who is this? Where did she grow up?
There was an article in the Financial times about the history of English women's football. During WW1 a league developed. The best team was from Preston. Womens soccer was banned by the FA in the 1920s who said that soccer was "unladylike".  the ban lasted into the 1970s.
This influence was similar to the influence of the reactionary catholic church on sexuality in Ireland.

BTW the camogie all-Ireland goes back to 1935
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2022, 10:38:11 AM

My boys asked why I was crying and I told them that when I was little girls weren't allowed to play football (outside than in the garden or park). There's been such a fight to get here before they even entered the stadium glorious #Lionesses

There was an article in the Financial times about the history of English women's football. During WW1 a league developed. The best team was from Preston. Womens soccer was banned by the FA in the 1920s who said that soccer was "unladylike".  the ban lasted into the 1970s.
This influence was similar to the influence of the reactionary catholic church on sexuality in Ireland.

So what was the difference? Why Camogie and not ladies football? Can you imagine the standard now had the sport been available then?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2022, 11:08:01 AM

So what was the difference? Why Camogie and not ladies football? Can you imagine the standard now had the sport been available then?
LGFA only started in the 70s.
Hurling people must be more progressive  8)
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2022, 11:59:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2022, 11:08:01 AM

LGFA only started in the 70s.
Hurling people must be more progressive  8)

Get rid of ladies football and replace with camogie, brutal sport lol

keep her low this half

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2022, 07:32:59 AM

It's funny but we only allowed or the ladies GAA football was only founded in 1974, before that girls were not allowed

Camogie has been around long before that, Antrim were winning Camogie all irelands in the forties

Oops, just noticed seafoid addressed this above.

imtommygunn

The top level is pretty good these days I think - very watchable. Meath are very good to watch as are Dublin, Kerry, Armagh.

thejuice

I coach my young lads U7s soccer team over in England. We have 3 teams at that age group and 0 girls on the teams. Not sure why. The league we play in you could count on one hand the amount of girls that we've come up against. There are plenty of mothers and sisters around during training sessions and matches but seems to be little interest from either to be involved.

Even among the more outspoken ladies about equality etc have their daughters in gymnastics and dance schools. Fair enough of course no one is obliged to play nor should we be pushing girls into a sport or activity for the sake of their parents outlook or ideology.

Perhaps starting girls only teams at a younger age might be the way forward. Maybe the Euro win will influence a few more to come along but who knows.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hound

Quote from: thejuice on August 01, 2022, 04:53:10 PM
I coach my young lads U7s soccer team over in England. We have 3 teams at that age group and 0 girls on the teams. Not sure why. The league we play in you could count on one hand the amount of girls that we've come up against. There are plenty of mothers and sisters around during training sessions and matches but seems to be little interest from either to be involved.
A bit odd expecting to come up against girls in a boys soccer league?

In Dublin there are girls soccer leagues, and I presume it's similar in other counties

thejuice

Quote from: Hound on August 01, 2022, 06:15:32 PM
Quote from: thejuice on August 01, 2022, 04:53:10 PM
A bit odd expecting to come up against girls in a boys soccer league?

In Dublin there are girls soccer leagues, and I presume it's similar in other counties

It's not a boys league though. It's mixed for the first few age categories then it splits.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016