Businesses the have acted the cnut during the Coronavirus Outbreak

Started by Franko, March 25, 2020, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: delgany on March 25, 2020, 02:17:11 PM
Guinness stepping up to provide something - sanitizer maybe ?

The plastic paddies have the best PR brains money can buy.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Solo_run on March 25, 2020, 12:05:47 PM
Halfords told staff they would close the shops and staff would be paid. 48 hours later they are planning on opening their stores again.

Think they are getting around that due to the Bike thing, I mean its probably the best thing you can do right now exercise wise presumably?

tbrick18

Quote from: delgany on March 25, 2020, 02:15:45 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on March 25, 2020, 02:00:19 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 25, 2020, 01:27:30 PM
They have a fairly dubious reputation as well. (More from the employer perspective than anything).

If they can make them where else can?

Almac possibly?

I was told the Randox test is about £12, but it is bundled with 10 other tests and you have to buy the bundle.
Not sure how true that is.
[/quote

That was questioned by Stephen Nolan , spokesperson wouldnt concede that only one tested was needed .@ £12 only. Nolan pressed him without success.£120 or do one !

Ah Mr Nolan.
No guarantee that it's true then.....but given the reputation of Randox, I wouldn't rule it out.

imtommygunn

They have a really bad rep. That is probably consistent with the rep lol.

If this is the case someone should step in I'd have thought but then you never know what is true these days.

JohnDenver

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 25, 2020, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: five points on March 25, 2020, 12:11:34 PM
Worth noting that O'Neills were being absolutely hammered last week for ceasing sports goods production. Give these companies a chance. Everyone is trying to manage an unprecedented situation as best they can.

Rightly so to be honest, they couldn't wait to get rid of staff and they haven't needed the money in years truth be told.

Kieran Kennedy didn't wake up last week and decide on the spur of the moment to get rid of 750 staff. They'd a wage bill of £13m in 2018 perhaps it's even more now. That's a lot to sustain if you have nothing coming into the bank or an order book showing sweet FA.

Baile Brigín 2

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 25, 2020, 02:21:52 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on March 25, 2020, 12:05:47 PM
Halfords told staff they would close the shops and staff would be paid. 48 hours later they are planning on opening their stores again.

Think they are getting around that due to the Bike thing, I mean its probably the best thing you can do right now exercise wise presumably?

Motor repairers and suppliers can stay open. Someone in an important job might need a bulb, for instance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

I'd say we'll all be using the likes of the cheap airlines again after a few months - very noble at the start with good intentions but people, as always, will have short memories where the cash is concerned.

gallsman

Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2020, 03:28:43 PM
I'd say we'll all be using the likes of the cheap airlines again after a few months - very noble at the start with good intentions but people, as always, will have short memories where the cash is concerned.

Depends what airlines are actually left at the end of it.

marty34

Quote from: gallsman on March 25, 2020, 03:39:13 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2020, 03:28:43 PM

Depends what airlines are actually left at the end of it.

That's a valid point too Gallsman.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: square_ball on March 25, 2020, 03:24:43 PM
Worth noting that O'Neills were being absolutely hammered last week for ceasing sports goods production. Give these companies a chance. Everyone is trying to manage an unprecedented situation as best they can.

Rightly so to be honest, they couldn't wait to get rid of staff and they haven't needed the money in years truth be told.

Kieran Kennedy didn't wake up last week and decide on the spur of the moment to get rid of 750 staff. They'd a wage bill of £13m in 2018 perhaps it's even more now. That's a lot to sustain if you have nothing coming into the bank or an order book showing sweet FA.

Fair point, but you would imagine they'll be flying online with football orders, home training equipment and the likes. Just seemed like a very quick step, to a week later announce they could suddenly do medical stuff.

Wouldn't go so far as to label them cnuts...but yeah, they could have kept people on for a few weeks to see what would / could have happened.

Hopefully they can get the employment numbers back up in that area. I see they are doing an online sale at moment, anything to stimulate growth.

WT4E

OgraAnDun

Quote from: WT4E on March 25, 2020, 03:50:07 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 25, 2020, 03:27:14 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on March 25, 2020, 02:42:57 PM
Quote from: delgany on March 25, 2020, 02:17:11 PM
Guinness stepping up to provide something - sanitizer maybe ?

I think brewdog actually have a santizer out since last week.

https://twitter.com/BrewDog/status/1240208876408123393?s=20

They also let all their Dublin staff go

Who Brewdog? Do they have staff in Dublin?

They have a bar down at Capital Dock.

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 25, 2020, 03:49:37 PM
Quote from: square_ball on March 25, 2020, 03:24:43 PM

Fair point, but you would imagine they'll be flying online with football orders, home training equipment and the likes. Just seemed like a very quick step, to a week later announce they could suddenly do medical stuff.

Wouldn't go so far as to label them cnuts...but yeah, they could have kept people on for a few weeks to see what would / could have happened.

Hopefully they can get the employment numbers back up in that area. I see they are doing an online sale at moment, anything to stimulate growth.

Yeah fair point possibly could have had. I'm sure county and clubs would still have been ordering kits up to a short time ago. I just don't think they are up with the likes of Sports Direct and Whetherspoons levels.