Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Small enough turn outs for Round 4 Qualifiers.
I've seen 7,400 (Sat ) and 6,000 (Sun) quoted for Navan and 10,000 for Portlaoise.
I'd guessed around 11k.
Overall the 4 rounds of Qualifiers (24 games) only attracted around 110,000 .
I expect despite their many downsides the Provincial Championships will be staying with us for many a day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

What are the expected attendances for this weekend in Croke Park? At a guess a little over 60k for Dublin v Donegal and Tyrone v Roscommon and 40K or under for Kildare v Monaghan and Galway v Kerry.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2018, 05:26:48 PM
What are the expected attendances for this weekend in Croke Park? At a guess a little over 60k for Dublin v Donegal and Tyrone v Roscommon and 40K or under for Kildare v Monaghan and Galway v Kerry.
I'd expect more for Saturday. Although timing not ideal. Should be 3.30pm and 5.30pm. Expecting people from Donegal (and Tyrone and Roscommon) to leave Croke Park at 9pm (if stay till end of second game, it would probably be at least 9.30pm by the time you get to your car) for the journey home is wholly unfair, and I'm confused why more isn't made of the timing of Saturday evening matches when teams outside Leinster are involved.

Also hard to understand why Sunday isn't 12pm and 2pm. It would be no hardship asking KE and MN to play at noon (presumably they'd all be fairly used to playing club games at that time).  They will have the bulk of the supporters in any case. I was talking to a Monaghan pal yesterday who said while he'd like to see Kerry v Galway, he'll probably leave after his game to watch the World Cup final. Now, he may well be in a minority, but it will be interesting to see if the crowd thins out after the first game.

TheClubman

I'd expect Kerry v Galway to be much more entertaining that the World Cup final.

Rossfan

Sure Laythrum  v Wickla would be more entertaining than socceryball.  ;D

sid waddell

10,122 at the hurling today. A knock out All-Ireland hurling quarter-final.

How many will be in the stadium for the Kerry-Galway match tomorrow?

It's not knockout, Kerry are notoriusly poor travellers, Galway not much better in football, Galway have been involved in the hurling for the last two weeks in a row. And I believe there is some other sporting event taking place in Moscow at 4pm tomorrow.

I'd say they'll be doing well to have more than 10k there.

The official attendance will be more, of course, but the majority of those will leave after the first match.

Gael85

Quote from: sid waddell on July 14, 2018, 09:35:21 PM

It's not knockout, Kerry are notoriusly poor travellers, Galway not much better in football, Galway have been involved in the hurling for the last two weeks in a row. And I believe there is some other sporting event taking place in Moscow at 4pm tomorrow.

The official attendance will be more, of course, but the majority of those will leave after the first match.

Clare/Wexford should have been played in Thurles

sid waddell

Quote from: Gael85 on July 15, 2018, 11:17:42 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 14, 2018, 09:35:21 PM

Clare/Wexford should have been played in Thurles
I've heard this said quite a lot.

But it doesn't particularly make sense, as it's no easier a drive from Wexford to Thurles than it is from Wexford to Cork, and neither is it much easier of a drive from Clare to Thurles than it is to Cork.

Clare have consistently brought very poor support to Thurles since 2015.

RedHand88

What was the official attendance yesterday at croke park? Was alot less at it than I expected.

Rossfan

53k.
As I said before its a 3 games series so the casual fans won't be travelling when they have a home match  ( 2 for Dublin) coming up.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2018, 01:55:18 PM
53k.
As I said before its a 3 games series so the casual fans won't be travelling when they have a home match  ( 2 for Dublin) coming up.

Much lower crowd than i was expected it doesn't say much when this "super 8s" was hyped to the hills and can't get 60k with the Dubs involved. Maybe supporters see it as it is. Group games are not for the last eight stage while knock out football is far more interesting.   
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dinny Breen

30k in Croke Park today. 763 from Kerry, I counted them I was that bored in the first half of their game.
#newbridgeornowhere

sligoman2

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 15, 2018, 02:52:04 PM
53k.

Much lower crowd than i was expected it doesn't say much when this "super 8s" was hyped to the hills and can't get 60k with the Dubs involved. Maybe supporters see it as it is. Group games are not for the last eight stage while knock out football is far more interesting.   

Or maybe people aren't willing to pay good money to watch 5,000 handpasses and keep ball.  I'm really disappointed and worried about what football has become.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 15, 2018, 02:52:04 PM
53k.

Rossies had reasonably big numbers, but Tyrone support seemed much smaller than a few years back. I'd say most of the Donegal support were home based.

Unlaoised

Tyrone had small numbers in portlaoise v Cork as well compared to recent years....

Monagahan and Kildare made up 20000 of that crowd yesterday id say there wasny 600 from Kerry there .

LAOIS ABÚ