Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: armaghniac on December 29, 2017, 04:35:41 PM
According to the British government 30 year papers they wanted to put some neon advertising on the Brit watchtowers in South Armagh to brighten them up!!

A prominent hilltop observation tower overlooking the main road from Belfast to Dublin could have been decked out under suggestions to spruce up the forbidding British Army structure during the conflict. Unsightly shields and barbed wire surrounded it to protect against rocket attacks.

A civil servant at the Northern Ireland Office wrote a note on the issue relaying the views of Peter Bottomley, who was the private secretary of Peter Brooke, the Northern Ireland secretary at the time.

It said: "He was sure that an imaginative way could be found to smarten up and decorate security structures in a way that would not be out of keeping with their function but would at the same time produce a pleasingly aesthetic effect on travellers.

"A pleasingly aesthetic effect on travellers"
Important to keep the travellers happy
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

brokencrossbar1

Something like this would have been good!!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 23, 2017, 09:49:43 PM
Una healy from the saturdays dueting with daniel on tg4 now.
No real WTF there as Una has a strong country music background and her uncle is Declan Nerney

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 30, 2017, 11:17:07 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on December 30, 2017, 09:10:05 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

How does one come across things like  this?

I remember reading that one before - I think there was a thread on here a couple of years back with good wikipedia stories and it was included. Just did a search and couldnt find it but this link contains a few similar stories:
https://moviepilot.com/posts/3785122
Hasta la victoria siempre

Never beat the deeler

Hasta la victoria siempre

LeoMc

TabClear

I saw this H&M row in the press today. I would be interested to get peoples views on whether this is racist?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/hm-sparks-outrage-coolest-monkey-14126158

My view is that it is the PC brigade going out of their way to get offended. I have kids, numerous nephews and nieces and have both called them monkeys and bought and received tshirts with "Little monkey" etc  on them. I know this row has blown up because it was a young black (is that PC??) lad  in the advert and there probably would have been no reaction if it was a white kid. No one in their right minds can honestly think this was a racist action by H&M. However, i genuinely believe this faux outrage by PC crusaders only serves to deepen divisions and create disputes.  I know I would never have even thought of the shirt  in that context until I read about the social media reaction.

AZOffaly

Little monkey is a term of endearment for kids, and is related to their penchant for mischief or messing around. I call my daughter a little monkey all the time. I also call her a goose for similar reasons. It's related to the behaviour, not the appearance.

That said it was daft to have a little black lad wearing it, as the racist connotations are too obvious.

armaghniac

Quote from: TabClear on January 08, 2018, 03:36:39 PM
I saw this H&M row in the press today. I would be interested to get peoples views on whether this is racist?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/hm-sparks-outrage-coolest-monkey-14126158

My view is that it is the PC brigade going out of their way to get offended. I have kids, numerous nephews and nieces and have both called them monkeys and bought and received tshirts with "Little monkey" etc  on them. I know this row has blown up because it was a young black (is that PC??) lad  in the advert and there probably would have been no reaction if it was a white kid. No one in their right minds can honestly think this was a racist action by H&M. However, i genuinely believe this faux outrage by PC crusaders only serves to deepen divisions and create disputes.  I know I would never have even thought of the shirt  in that context until I read about the social media reaction.

No doubt H&M had some kind of equal opportunities policy so that a proportion of hoodies would feature people of different races and this one happened to feature a black kid. Strange that someone didn't call stop though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thebigfella

Quote from: TabClear on January 08, 2018, 03:36:39 PM

I suspect that is because you have never been called a monkey or told to go back to the jungle because of your race ::)

No one said it was intentionally racist by H&M but it's definitely completely inappropriate and poor taste.

armaghniac

H&M should introduce a wee skitter range which would avoid racial connotations .
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B