Seagate sheds 900 jobs in Derry

Started by stephenite, October 30, 2007, 03:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

I was watching BBC Newsline tonight at 6.30pm. Noel Thompson was interviewing the head of Seagate in Ireland. The guys is an absoluate root, The Seagate guy not Thompson.

Noel was challenging him on the enhanced redundancy payment for the employees that stay onto July. Those that left early for other jobs, will lose out. Naturally this isn't fair and Noel pushed him on that. The response was that's what's on the table and it won't be renegotiated. What a cop-out, the employees deserve better than this and should not be punished for taking a job elsewhere!!
Testing Accessibility

imtommygunn

That's a good redundancy package so it's good they got that at least. People have got good notice etc however I would see the big issue here being that this has occurred in Limavady and it's not like the people who do this job will have another job of the same ilk in that area to walk into. It would mean upping sticks for a lot of people. It would also impact the town in a big way.

I did get the impression it was perhaps a slightly lesser skilled job but it is worrying that a company could just up sticks due to lower labour costs elsewhere.

Someone mentioned here about the government money you'd get here. You'd only get that money to startup and probably be bound for a few years. Not sure if longer term it's that beneficial but short term it would be.

You can see the point of them not paying the redundancy to people who leave now or before July - not in any way fair but that's business.

I think the same thing is currently happening what was formerly Nortel (now flextronics). Not sure how widely publicised this has been but there would be a lot less employees now.

Norf Tyrone

QuoteNoel was challenging him on the enhanced redundancy payment for the employees that stay onto July. Those that left early for other jobs, will lose out. Naturally this isn't fair and Noel pushed him on that. The response was that's what's on the table and it won't be renegotiated. What a cop-out, the employees deserve better than this and should not be punished for taking a job elsewhere!!

Got to disagree with you on this one Ziggy. I never seen tonight's interview, but I take Thompson was arguing that people should not be punished for gonig early. However it's all about how you look at it, and how you sell it. Seagate undersold the package. Instead of saying it's 6 weeks and we'll take 2 off you if you leave before July, they should've said it's 4 weeks, but if you stay until July we'll give you another two weeks. Nonetheless 4 weeks is still a very good package on it's on. They only have to give 1 week per year of employment.

In addition what would happen if most of the workforce bailed now taking the 4 weeks? It makes business sense to offer an incentive to remain on.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Gnevin on October 30, 2007, 10:50:53 AM
Quote from: nifan on October 30, 2007, 10:44:28 AM
The brother in law works in the Derry plant, no word on them yet, but it can only be a matter of time surely.
They said last night that was 100% safe but i guess you can't really trust that

Or maybe you can?

😊

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Norf Tyrone