Paddy Power projection on Knock Basilica.

Started by T Fearon, August 29, 2017, 11:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

This was the subject of a heated debate on Talk to Joe yesterday. Most if not all the callers seemed to be offended, and there was a spokesman on for Paddy Power who took a lot of abuse to the extent that I reckon that a suggestion made by one contributor,that PP make a donation to the upkeep of the basilica,may well be taken up.

I myself think that God has a sense of humour and as long as it's not malicious, as this wasn't,it's ok.I recall watching a documentary on Fr Mick Cleary (not a shining example of a priest I know), when he was doing a bit of stand up at a packed community hall,and he told the joke about an IRA man in confession telling the priest he had blown up a few RUC barracks, and the priest absolved him and told him as a penance to "Go out and do the Stations!" 😂😂😂.I saw another joke in the NI Humanist magazine a few years ago about the introduction of a new low fat communion bread at a Belfast chapel,and one parishioner after receiving, said "I can't believe it's not Jesus!". Borderline but it made me chuckle nonetheless

Eamonnca1

Itchy

Quote from: T Fearon on August 29, 2017, 11:46:17 PM
This was the subject of a heated debate on Talk to Joe yesterday. Most if not all the callers seemed to be offended, and there was a spokesman on for Paddy Power who took a lot of abuse to the extent that I reckon that a suggestion made by one contributor,that PP make a donation to the upkeep of the basilica,may well be taken up.

I myself think that God has a sense of humour and as long as it's not malicious, as this wasn't,it's ok.I recall watching a documentary on Fr Mick Cleary (not a shining example of a priest I know), when he was doing a bit of stand up at a packed community hall,and he told the joke about an IRA man in confession telling the priest he had blown up a few RUC barracks, and the priest absolved him and told him as a penance to "Go out and do the Stations!" 😂😂😂.I saw another joke in the NI Humanist magazine a few years ago about the introduction of a new low fat communion bread at a Belfast chapel,and one parishioner after receiving, said "I can't believe it's not Jesus!". Borderline but it made me chuckle nonetheless

Everyone who rings joe is offended or he would t let them on

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mrhardyannual

Don Johnson

Fair play to them. Thinking outside the box, having a bit of craic. Is anyone even religious anymore?

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Don Johnson on August 30, 2017, 10:03:12 PM
Fair play to them. Thinking outside the box, having a bit of craic. Is anyone even religious anymore?
I wouldn't claim to be overly religious but devotion to Our Lady of Knock is important to me and has helped me through a major crisis. Like thousands of others around Mayo and neighbouring counties I took part in the vigil walk to Knock for dawn Mass on Aug 15th. I don't expect others to agree with my beliefs but I do expect that places and practices that are sacred to me and others would be respected. I would never disrespect the sacred places of others. It seems like Catholics are the only "minority" it's fair to insult.

If Paddy Power thought it was harmless why skulk in at night. When asked by Joe Duffy if they would do something similar at a mosque the spokesman fr PP said that they wouldn't like to draw the ire of ISIS upon themselves. What brave champions of free speech! For the record I would find a similar projection at a mosque/synagogue/ church hall/ humanist meeting place etc equally objectionable.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mrhardyannual on August 30, 2017, 10:54:59 PM
I wouldn't claim to be overly religious but devotion to Our Lady of Knock is important to me and has helped me through a major crisis. Like thousands of others around Mayo and neighbouring counties I took part in the vigil walk to Knock for dawn Mass on Aug 15th. I don't expect others to agree with my beliefs but I do expect that places and practices that are sacred to me and others would be respected. I would never disrespect the sacred places of others. It seems like Catholics are the only "minority" it's fair to insult.

If Paddy Power thought it was harmless why skulk in at night. When asked by Joe Duffy if they would do something similar at a mosque the spokesman fr PP said that they wouldn't like to draw the ire of ISIS upon themselves. What brave champions of free speech! For the record I would find a similar projection at a mosque/synagogue/ church hall/ humanist meeting place etc equally objectionable.

Yes agreed,  this is a respect issue! Or should I say a disrespect issue!

Dougal Maguire

Very good post. I thought PP's representative should have been taken to task when he said they wouldn't do it on a mosque 
Careful now

T Fearon

An image on a Mosque wouldn't work.The same people who were offended also seemed to be offended by Marty Morrissey asking for three cheers for the Novena (as if he was at Croker) while he was addressing the congregation at Knock,at the invitation of the priest.For God's sake (no pun intended) this was just a bit of harmless fun.

Humour is offensive if it is malicious,and while Paddy Power should have sought permission from the priest,I do not see anything malicious about an image of the Virgin Mary holding the Sam Maguire in Mayo.After All Tyrone recite the rosary imploring her aid before each game,and Mayo will need help from her and everybody else as well.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: T Fearon on August 31, 2017, 06:14:31 AM
An image on a Mosque wouldn't work.The same people who were offended also seemed to be offended by Marty Morrissey asking for three cheers for the Novena (as if he was at Croker) while he was addressing the congregation at Knock,at the invitation of the priest.For God's sake (no pun intended) this was just a bit of harmless fun.

Humour is offensive if it is malicious,and while Paddy Power should have sought permission from the priest,I do not see anything malicious about an image of the Virgin Mary holding the Sam Maguire in Mayo.After All Tyrone recite the rosary imploring her aid before each game,and Mayo will need help from her and everybody else as well.
And that's the nub of the problem. What you see as malicious or not malicious can appear quite the opposite to others. But any rational person/group/advertiser would surely have anticipated that while a lot of people (yourself included) would find it humourous, it would be profoundly offensive to others like me. In that situation good taste, commoon sense or just plain respect for others would have ensured that they wouldnt run with it.

johnneycool

Sure wasn't the first  apparition meant to be an early projector image which would have been unheard off back in the late 1800's in the West of Ireland....

T Fearon

In my opinion there's a hell of a lot if stuff  more offensive on this Board alone,to sincere Catholics,than a cheeky projection of the Virgin Mary holding Sam Maguire on Knock Basilica.