First time buyers advice

Started by qwerty123, June 08, 2017, 12:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: delgany on June 08, 2017, 05:03:37 PM
Glengormley is also Baltic ....for about 10 months of the year
Significantly colder than anywhere else in Greater Belfast.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: haranguerer on June 08, 2017, 03:10:43 PM
Of course you can, then you look back in ten years and say, f**k I've wasted ten years of my life. You have to live too.

For what its worth I'd be considering Carryduff strongly in your position - I assume there are good reasons why you mentioned the areas you did, but just in case

After spending most of my life there, sold 2 houses in Whitewell area of N. Belfast last year, for 2 different reasons & ended up going to Carryduff. House prices just about scraped into 6 figures last year for semi Ds. Carryduff spot on.....only bummer is Saintfield Road traffic.

qwerty123

Quote from: The Gs Man on June 08, 2017, 01:30:38 PM
qwerty, can you kick decent ball at all?

If so, Aghagallon's your spot.  £30 quid a year club membership too.
Haha! I wish I could but unfortunately not! I'm nearly as bad at house hunting!!!

tintin25

Anyone had experience buying off-plan?

Basically have found nothing in/around part of Belfast where I live - even the more reasonable houses seem to be in serious need of renovation...and the vendors still looking silly amounts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on June 08, 2017, 12:39:05 PM
Quote from: qwerty123 on June 08, 2017, 12:21:03 PM
I had just searched for Newtownabbey on propertypal and like someone said they looked lovely and unbelievable prices, but with a quick search on googlemaps you could see flegs. It may mean the increase of 20K to the house but it's worth it in the long run and these houses I assume are more likely to keep their value that bit better.

It's a hard one to decide to buy something cheaper or buy a house that would be an extra 40/50K but that I would be happy with for years.
Go and look at the streets you're considering.  In Belfast there are flags everywhere, and a street could be on the edge of a dodgy area.  However, you do have to ask yourself why the prices are unbelievable. 
Buy somewhere you want to live and you're happy to drive home to. It's amazing how quickly you get used to the mortgage payments.

Jordanstown, just outside of Belfast no flegs, great area, Loughshore at the bottom, bars, restaurants, cafes and great location to get to work, takes me 20 minutes in the morning and 15 mins on the way home... good schools also... cycle/run/walk path straight into Belfast
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2017, 02:21:36 PM
Jordanstown, just outside of Belfast no flegs, great area, Loughshore at the bottom, bars, restaurants, cafes and great location to get to work, takes me 20 minutes in the morning and 15 mins on the way home... good schools also... cycle/run/walk path straight into Belfast

Probably students from a third rate university as well.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on July 05, 2017, 03:09:52 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2017, 02:21:36 PM

Probably students from a third rate university as well.

Nope all the students live beside that dump called the Holy lands ... with the rest of the layabouts
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea