Manchester Arena

Started by Dougal Maguire, May 22, 2017, 11:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

I am absolutely choking today Manchester was home for over 11 years until this Feb. I was there last weekend. I went to loads of gigs at the MEN. There were kids I used to teach at that gig. Thankfully they are alright. Sadly, the same cant be said for others. RIP and speedy recoveries. I just don't know what to say, or to think

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 23, 2017, 11:02:11 AM
Horrific stuff.
People say we must continue life as normal and not let the terrorists win but can you imagine if you are parents now with kids in their teens that are due to go out to concerts or other large events and how you will worry for them.
I heard they are talking about cancelling the Take That concert.

Listening to some of the interviews this morning, it's always amazing how so many people who are at an incident like this or were at 9/11 often don't know what's actually going on whereas millions around the world see it first on TV.
One woman said they thought it was a large speaker that exploded and they didn't see anyone injured and it wasn't until they went back to the hotel that they realised how bad it was.

It sounds like he waited until the gig was almost over before trying to get into the foyer area when he knew people would be leaving

What are you going to do though? You can't cower in your home.

I live in NYC. Its going to be hit again sooner or later, probably in a similar fashion to this. Could be some lad with a back pack on a subway train, or at the entrance to a museum or The Garden, or simply in the middle of Times Square or Grand Central.

Or it could be some lad with a chip on his shoulder for some other reason whipping out an AR-15 and shooting a dozen people before the cops get him. Or a deranged veteran with PTSD in a car like happened in Times Square last week.

Life has to go on.

Fuzzman

I agree J70 life has to go on but the difference with this attack is that it seems to have been purposely directed at kids and teenagers which they know will have more impact on how people react to the terror.

Kids are a lot more vulnerable than adults and you would imagine that parents will now really worry about sending their kids out to events like this in the future. If you have kids would you be happy to send your teenage daughters or sons to a gig in NYC this weekend or would you think twice now?

Do you see much security on the streets in New York these days or after events like this in Europe?
Do you think much about terrorism in your normal week?

Maroon Manc

All a bit sombre on the school run this morning, sounded like there was a few kids & parents at the concert judging by comments I overheard.

Looks like the cretin lived just a mile down the road from here, the lad they've detained happened outside the local Morrisons this morning.

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/may/22/manchester-arena-ariana-grande-concert-explosion-england

A "beautiful little girl" has been named a victim of the suspected suicide attack after the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester that has left at least 22 dead and 59 people injured.

Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos, was at the concert with her mother Lisa Roussos and Saffie's sister, Ashlee Bromwich who were later found injured in separate hospitals.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 23, 2017, 01:18:18 PM
I agree J70 life has to go on but the difference with this attack is that it seems to have been purposely directed at kids and teenagers which they know will have more impact on how people react to the terror.

Kids are a lot more vulnerable than adults and you would imagine that parents will now really worry about sending their kids out to events like this in the future. If you have kids would you be happy to send your teenage daughters or sons to a gig in NYC this weekend or would you think twice now?

Do you see much security on the streets in New York these days or after events like this in Europe?

My kids are very young.

However, I'm not going to stop taking them to the American Museum of Natural History or the various zoos or parks or malls we regularly visit on the miniscule chance that that particular moment and place would be the target of a terrorist attack. If it ever gets to that point, I'd move away from the city, as one of the main reasons for persisting in such a place is the cultural aspects on offer, whether museums or concerts or restaurants or whatever. Its not the appalling traffic, crowds and cost of living, that's for sure!

With respect to everyday safeguards and security, bag and car checks are a routine fact of life going into many places, but again, there is only so much that will stop. I'd expect there were checks going into the Manchester Arena last night, which was why the terrorist detonated the bomb where he did.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: J70 on May 23, 2017, 01:33:39 PM

My kids are very young.

However, I'm not going to stop taking them to the American Museum of Natural History or the various zoos or parks or malls we regularly visit on the miniscule chance that that particular moment and place would be the target of a terrorist attack. If it ever gets to that point, I'd move away from the city, as one of the main reasons for persisting in such a place is the cultural aspects on offer, whether museums or concerts or restaurants or whatever. Its not the appalling traffic, crowds and cost of living, that's for sure!

With respect to everyday safeguards and security, bag and car checks are a routine fact of life going into many places, but again, there is only so much that will stop. I'd expect there were checks going into the Manchester Arena last night, which was why the terrorist detonated the bomb where he did.

Several woman interviewed complained their bags were never checked at all.

J70

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2017, 01:33:07 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/may/22/manchester-arena-ariana-grande-concert-explosion-england

A "beautiful little girl" has been named a victim of the suspected suicide attack after the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester that has left at least 22 dead and 59 people injured.

Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos, was at the concert with her mother Lisa Roussos and Saffie's sister, Ashlee Bromwich who were later found injured in separate hospitals.

Eight years old... :'(

trueblue1234

Saw a picture circulating on facebook asking for information for her as she couldn't be contacted.
Horrific to think someone could do that. An 8 year old. Wish I hadn't seen her picture now as it makes it so real. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss. Can't get her face out of my head today. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

magpie seanie

A story going round that the sc**bag who did this entered near the end of the gig posing as a parent waiting on a kid. Security would have been lax. It's just horrific. I do not understand how a human being could get so warped that they would believe this was a right thing to do. I'm sick since I heard this last night.

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on May 23, 2017, 01:36:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2017, 01:33:07 PM

Eight years old... :'(

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 23, 2017, 01:36:02 PM

My kids are very young.

Surprised at that as I have visited that arena on more than dozen occasions the security going in was top notch. Not much can they do when some nut job wanders into the railway station and blows himself up as thousands are leaving the arena.

I fear a premier league match will be the next target. RIP to all thoses that lost their lives last night.

easytiger95

Horrible, horrible news.

However, the city and the people will go on, because they have to go on. I think as well, whilst we all agree that the bomber was scum, we should also agree his religion is irrelevant. There will undoubtedly be Manchester Muslims lying in the morgues today, just as it is true that ISIS/Al Qaeda/Al Nusra et al have overwhelmingly killed Muslims during their atrocities in the Middle East, many of which go unreported.

May all the victims, especially those poor children, rest in peace.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2017, 01:58:08 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 23, 2017, 01:36:02 PM

My kids are very young.

Surprised at that as I have visited that arena on more than dozen occasions the security going in was top notch. Not much can they do when some nut job wanders into the railway station and blows himself up as thousands are leaving the arena.

I fear a premier league match will be the next target. RIP to all thoses that lost their lives last night.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about something happening at Croker. I've been searched once or twice going to the Hill but nothing elsewhere. Doesn't bare thinking about.

Words can't do justice to what I feel about last night. RIP to all.

foxcommander

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 23, 2017, 03:26:21 PM
Horrible, horrible news.

However, the city and the people will go on, because they have to go on. I think as well, whilst we all agree that the bomber was scum, we should also agree his religion is irrelevant. There will undoubtedly be Manchester Muslims lying in the morgues today, just as it is true that ISIS/Al Qaeda/Al Nusra et al have overwhelmingly killed Muslims during their atrocities in the Middle East, many of which go unreported.

May all the victims, especially those poor children, rest in peace.

Why do you say that?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie