Started by seafoid, April 22, 2017, 08:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2017, 10:22:16 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2017, 11:47:45 AM
Same here.

Same here.
Not the same here.
I was in a boarding school in he late 60 when kids were a lot more innocent than their counterparts are today. In my first couple of years I had no idea why any of the older boys were terrified to go and see the matron, no matter how sick they were. I did know that the reverend president was very fond of visiting boys who were sent there but he was only mentioned in whispers.
I did know that the second in command, another priest, hated him and the feeling was mutual. Years later, I found the reason was because the second man know of what he got up to any time he could get boys on their own. I'm don't think anyone else on the staff knew what was going on because most folk then lived in a state of denial. Priests could do no wrong. Period.
When the old bastard died of a heart attack in the middle of a bog in Roscommon, I thought that the world had become a safer place for kids. Haven't changed my mind since then.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 25, 2017, 02:42:26 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 25, 2017, 02:32:10 PM
My uncle was a priest in Korea. Please desist in classing all missionary priests as paedos.

North or South?

Sorry, South. Kwanju (sp) and Seoul a while too I think.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rois

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 25, 2017, 08:50:50 PM
My uncle was a priest in Korea. Please desist in classing all missionary priests as paedos.

North or South?

Columban?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rois

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2017, 07:14:26 AM
Quote from: Rois on April 25, 2017, 09:12:03 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 25, 2017, 08:50:50 PM

North or South?

Columban?
Yep.
I've got one of those uncles too - Peru for him.  Back in Navan for years taking courses.  His cousin (my dad's too) was also in Korea as a priest - am sure would have met your uncle. 

Avondhu star

Quote from: longballin on April 22, 2017, 06:23:09 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 22, 2017, 08:30:49 AM
The Catholic Church has been instrumental in providing valued health care and educational services to the vast majority of people North and South for decades,saving the Governments in both jurisdictions countless millions.

Perhaps given the ingratitude and downright offensiveness the Church should withdraw their services,reallocate them to grateful populations in the Third World,and let the Government and tax payers,North and South,take full responsibility for Health and Education.

Doesn't bear thinking about what they did to children in Third World countries for decades considering their record here...

R.T.E. did an "expose" on that and ended up paying out thousands of the licence payers money in compensation and legal fees due to their completely untruthful allegations. They were so arrogant
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Of course we have the usual Sinn Fein turnaround when they see how the wind is blowing. Their representative on the hospital board Macdonnacha who voted in favour now wants the decision reconsidered. Such hypocrisy
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Eamonnca1

If control of vital functions usually carried out by the state is handed over to private organizations like churches, it's a sign of a weak state.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 26, 2017, 09:57:26 PM
If control of vital functions usually carried out by the state is handed over to private organizations like churches, it's a sign of a weak state.

But the state prohibited the education of Catholics leaving the Church as the only option, hence, it built the foundation of the current system and took control.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 26, 2017, 09:57:26 PM
It was very poor in 1922 .
And since then has never really focused on accountability.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU