Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on May 03, 2017, 10:05:16 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 03, 2017, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 02, 2017, 09:21:48 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 02, 2017, 06:40:31 PM
Gerry kelly stepping aside for john finucane. Might make thinks a bit closer esp if sdlp picked someone other than mallon. Would be good to see dodds go

It's a pity Finucane did not come forward as an independent willing to take his seat.  It would be something to have a Finucane putting it up to the Tory government at PMQ or any other occasion.

As an independent, the SDLP would have had to stand aside and Dodds could be taken down.
Why would he take an oath of allegience to the Queen who's agents shot his dad? No self respecting Irish man would.

If Sinn Fein took their seats at Westminster they would have the chance to do what they did in the Assembly election.

I for one will not be casting a vote for someone who is not going to represent me!!
What bollix, noone listens to NI MP's.

Rois

Quote from: AQMP on May 03, 2017, 12:15:15 PM
This is a tough one for the SDLP.  I've a lot of time for Nichola Mallon (I thought she wiped the floor with Naomi Long on TV last week re: pacts) and she's been very strong in her support of the Finucane family in their campaign for justice.  If she runs, Dodds is as safe as houses and she'll also be campaigning directly "against" John Finucane.  If she doesn't run or if the party select a lower profile candidate against a political novice then it doesn't say much for the long term ambition and also it could undo the work Mallon has done to build up momentum in the constituency over the past five years or so.
I think you're right, although SDLP do not do "double-jobbing" so they have an excuse for Mallon not to run (too useful at Stormont). 

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 03, 2017, 12:36:12 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 03, 2017, 10:05:16 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 03, 2017, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 02, 2017, 09:21:48 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 02, 2017, 06:40:31 PM
Gerry kelly stepping aside for john finucane. Might make thinks a bit closer esp if sdlp picked someone other than mallon. Would be good to see dodds go

It's a pity Finucane did not come forward as an independent willing to take his seat.  It would be something to have a Finucane putting it up to the Tory government at PMQ or any other occasion.

As an independent, the SDLP would have had to stand aside and Dodds could be taken down.
Why would he take an oath of allegience to the Queen who's agents shot his dad? No self respecting Irish man would.

If Sinn Fein took their seats at Westminster they would have the chance to do what they did in the Assembly election.

I for one will not be casting a vote for someone who is not going to represent me!!
What bollix, noone listens to NI MP's.

No one cares or listens to anyone in the North. MPs or Joe Soap.

People were pissed because the North voted Remain. Now we expect Westminister to listen to that? We can't even vote to see which Eton toff becomes head honcho. We have to sit back and watch some toffee nosed bollix make decisions on a state they know nothing about, and we have no say in that whatsoever. Yet we seem to just have accepted that situation for decades.

Owen Brannigan

Former Sinn Fein Vice President and MP for West Tyrone since 2001, Pat Doherty, has announced he will not seek re-election.

He won't be missed as Westminster was not the only place from which he abstained.

Barry McElduff will be the candidate defending a majority of 10,060 votes that the party achieved at the 2015 election.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 03, 2017, 10:30:22 PM
Former Sinn Fein Vice President and MP for West Tyrone since 2001, Pat Doherty, has announced he will not seek re-election.

He won't be missed as Westminster was not the only place from which he abstained.

Barry McElduff will be the candidate defending a majority of 10,060 votes that the party achieved at the 2015 election.

Sweet Jaysus, well I suppose it cudda been Sean Clarke and he'll be around (the constituency at least) unlike the last man

You couldnt help but think that Sorchca McAneispe would be close to the nomination if she had of stuck with them.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 03, 2017, 10:47:41 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 03, 2017, 10:30:22 PM

Sweet Jaysus, well I suppose it cudda been Sean Clarke and he'll be around (the constituency at least) unlike the last man

You couldnt help but think that Sorchca McAneispe would be close to the nomination if she had of stuck with them.

If she was so far back in the queue for nomination as an assembly candidate in 2016 that shows passed by others who had never been elected as a councillor like herself.  Enough to make her walk away and try to compete as an independent in 2016 and 2017.

armaghniac

Great artwork on this chart posted on Slugger

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Have all the candidates in the north been announced yet for the Westminster elections? Seems like the parties have been taking their time canvassing and getting posters up this time etc.

seafoid

From Private Eye

"Nigel Dodds, (DUP, N Belfast) told Theresa May (on Article 50 day) May I congratulate the PM for her statement, congratulate her and her government on actualy deelivering the will of the people of the UK as a whole instead of seeking to undermine it and wish her and her government well in the negotiations that lie ahead? we on this bench are convinced tat she is the right leader of our country for these challenging times. "

" Dodds treacly comments confirmed what has long been pretty evident in Westminster- namely that the DUP has become Tory in all but name and that the only surprise is that its MPs still sit on the opposition benches. "

I wonder if this is a reaction to the demographic developments in NI.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2017, 12:01:02 PM
From Private Eye

"Nigel Dodds, (DUP, N Belfast) told Theresa May (on Article 50 day) May I congratulate the PM for her statement, congratulate her and her government on actualy deelivering the will of the people of the UK as a whole instead of seeking to undermine it and wish her and her government well in the negotiations that lie ahead? we on this bench are convinced tat she is the right leader of our country for these challenging times. "

" Dodds treacly comments confirmed what has long been pretty evident in Westminster- namely that the DUP has become Tory in all but name and that the only surprise is that its MPs still sit on the opposition benches. "

I wonder if this is a reaction to the demographic developments in NI.

Well when May gets her massive increase in seats Dodds and co will have the same influence as Lord Sutch of the Monster Raving Loony Party.  Even DUP supporters see Brexit for the disaster its going to be
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

This was in the IT last April

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/why-tory-hating-is-a-rational-activity-1.2610998
"According to calculations based on figures contained in last month's UK budget, the cumulative impact on Stormont's budgets of a decade of Tory austerity from 2010 to 2021 will be a real-terms cut of 13 per cent in current expenditure and an eye-watering 27 per cent in capital spend, in the world's fifth-largest economy."

And that was BEFORE Brexit
And the DUP is in total Tory arslikhan mode

It would make you wonder
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

North Belfast election results 2017

DUP   13,309   
UUP   2,418   
PUP   2,053   
AP   3,487   
SF   12,204   
SDLP   5,431   
PBP   1,559   
GP   711   
WP   248   
IND   66   

The unionist vote was 17,780 in the last Assembly election, SF had 12,204 votes when people had a choice of SDLP, PBP & WP who hold 7238 votes of which at least 5576 are needed to equal the unionist vote in the last Assembly election.  There is a very good chance DUP will increase on the 17,780 votes to at least levels of 2015 GE.

2015 General Election

DUP   Nigel Dodds   19,096
SF   Gerry Kelly   13,770
SDLP   A Maginness   3,338
APNI   Jason O'Neill   2,941
WP   Gemma Weir   919
IND   Fra Hughes   529

Minder

Quote from: AQMP on May 10, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
BBC reporting that the SDLP has selected Martin McAuley to run in North Belfast.  He ran as an Independent in 2010 and got 403 votes.

Yeah he has been a press officer for them so you would assume this is SDLP giving SF a clear run at it ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

imtommygunn

It would be great if dodds were to lose westminster seat though i would still be surprised.

The tories will continue to cut but as long as the dup continue to line their pockets they won't care.