Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 02, 2017, 10:02:23 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 02, 2017, 09:21:48 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 02, 2017, 06:40:31 PM
Gerry kelly stepping aside for john finucane. Might make thinks a bit closer esp if sdlp picked someone other than mallon. Would be good to see dodds go

It's a pity Finucane did not come forward as an independent willing to take his seat.  It would be something to have a Finucane putting it up to the Tory government at PMQ or any other occasion.

As an independent, the SDLP would have had to stand aside and Dodds could be taken down.

Shame they didnt get the antibrexit pact going in a few constituencies and even given the greens a free run somewhere like upper bann or east derry to give them an outside chance. Anyhow nevermind the big thing here is finucane is young and intelligent something that all parties are struggling to attract and could go far in SF so quite an asset to the party rather than going it alone as an independent

The trouble is he will standout in SF like a sore thumb, so far ahead of the veteran SF politicos and the current leadership and this will not rest easy with many of them.  He has the background of the conflict in the loss of his father but with none of the connection to the actions of the IRA.

Rois

Quote from: armaghniac on May 02, 2017, 09:33:46 PM
It's a pity Finucane did not come forward as an independent willing to take his seat.  It would be something to have a Finucane putting it up to the Tory government at PMQ or any other occasion.

As an independent, the SDLP would have had to stand aside and Dodds could be taken down.

Spot on.
+2
Has he been active for SF? A definite vote-splitter there. SF trying to attract the middle class Antrim Rd crowd (who strangely enough, in my experience, seem to have a proportionately high representation within the legal profession).

johnneycool

Quote from: Ronnie on May 02, 2017, 10:36:23 PM
I see the UUP haven't selected Mike Nesbitt for one of the Belfast constituencies.  He's running in Strangford.  Once again they're accepting the DUP's 2nd fiddle when they could be bringing in the middle unionist voice.  He's their most high profile figure.  Some of their more liberal small c christian-types would appeal to republican/nationalist/A.N.other voters in safe DUP constituencies.   Back to that headcount then...

Jez, might have to vote for Mike TV to get that ex UDR gobshite out.

Applesisapples

Gerry kelly stepping aside for john finucane. Might make thinks a bit closer esp if sdlp picked someone other than mallon. Would be good to see dodds go

Why would he take an oath of allegience to the Queen who's agents shot his dad? No self respecting Irish man would.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on May 03, 2017, 09:13:01 AM
Quote from: Rois on May 02, 2017, 11:50:04 PM

Spot on.
+2
Has he been active for SF? A definite vote-splitter there. SF trying to attract the middle class Antrim Rd crowd (who strangely enough, in my experience, seem to have a proportionately high representation within the legal profession).

Former county footballer too.  Clever move by SF, the Unionists always highlight victims of the conflict during an election campaign.  Dodds a bit lacking there other than being hit with a brick thrown by a loyalist!

They did attempt to kill him at the Royal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 03, 2017, 09:05:47 AM

Why would he take an oath of allegience to the Queen who's agents shot his dad? No self respecting Irish man would.

If Sinn Fein took their seats at Westminster they would have the chance to do what they did in the Assembly election.

I for one will not be casting a vote for someone who is not going to represent me!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on May 03, 2017, 09:24:22 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2017, 09:18:02 AM
Quote from: AQMP on May 03, 2017, 09:13:01 AM
Quote from: Rois on May 02, 2017, 11:50:04 PM

Spot on.
+2

Former county footballer too.  Clever move by SF, the Unionists always highlight victims of the conflict during an election campaign.  Dodds a bit lacking there other than being hit with a brick thrown by a loyalist!

They did attempt to kill him at the Royal

Did the RA not style that as an attack on his police guards??  Though maybe that was the story after the fact.

Not sure to be honest but I'd imagine they would have taken him out to. I remember that day on the road! was mental
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: screenexile on May 03, 2017, 10:05:16 AM

If Sinn Fein took their seats at Westminster they would have the chance to do what they did in the Assembly election.

I for one will not be casting a vote for someone who is not going to represent me!!

Erm.. how exactly?

yellowcard

Have you ever considered that they would also lose votes and support from more hard line elements. It's pure guesswork since nobody knows how it would effect them overall (I don't think it would make much difference overall in terms of votes) but it's a stretch to think that a few MP's from the north have any impact whatsoever in Westminster anyway. You only have to look at the number of MP's still remaining in parliament when any of the local politician's are speaking. We are largely an irrelevance.

JPGJOHNNYG

In an ideal world yes but seeing as the sdlp candidate doesnt have a hope in hell I would much rather have a nationalist abstentionist than an MP who is so obsessed with how social housing in his constituency affects 'his' numbers. McCausland was also obsessed on the subject and he has now gone hopefully deputy will soon be gone too

seafoid

The election that keeps on giving
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Under the silly undemocratic Westminster voting system a vote for anyone other than Dodds or Finucane in North Belfast is a wasted vote.
As for taking seats - that would really show the 550 or so English MPs .......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rois

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 03, 2017, 10:49:53 AM

In an ideal world yes but seeing as the sdlp candidate doesnt have a hope in hell I would much rather have a nationalist abstentionist than an MP who is so obsessed with how social housing in his constituency affects 'his' numbers. McCausland was also obsessed on the subject and he has now gone hopefully deputy will soon be gone too

This is the really frustrating thing - there would be enough non-unionist voters to give an "anyone but Dodds" vote to an independent nationalist. 

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on May 03, 2017, 10:47:50 AM

Have you ever considered that they would also lose votes and support from more hard line elements. It's pure guesswork since nobody knows how it would effect them overall (I don't think it would make much difference overall in terms of votes) but it's a stretch to think that a few MP's from the north have any impact whatsoever in Westminster anyway. You only have to look at the number of MP's still remaining in parliament when any of the local politician's are speaking. We are largely an irrelevance.

Then why should we vote for anyone if they can't represent us @ Westminster?!!

johnneycool

Quote from: screenexile on May 03, 2017, 11:37:53 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 03, 2017, 10:47:50 AM

Then why should we vote for anyone if they can't represent us @ Westminster?!!

Because the other option certainly won't represent you irrespective if they take a seat in Westminster.