Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 04, 2017, 10:09:18 AM
Quote from: vallankumous on March 04, 2017, 09:07:33 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 04, 2017, 09:01:08 AM
Huge result for Nationalists with the seat count dropping by 18 and then both keeping the same number of seats (well SF have 27 now instead of 28).

Unionism in turmoil and a resurgence of the SDLP is great to see. To be fair I don't usually vote for SF but Arelene's arrogance and naked bigotry helped to make my mind up this time.

There was talk she needed a minimum 30 seats to solidify her position as party leader it will be interesting to see how she gets through the next few days. I'm sure Gerry and the BBC will get a get plenty of the blame!

FAKE NEWS

I think the Gerry Adams angle didn't work for her in the election. It would be foolish to keep it up.

Without using Adams she would have seen meltdown. Unionism exists and feeds on bogeymen. It has always created them and used them to great effect. The mindset of unionism has always been a siege mentality and nationalism has risen above it by having a vision and confidence in all aspects of life.

Correct
The repetitive Gerry antics of snarline probably got them over the line
What is interesting about this is the ones this strategy appealed to are the older entrenches voters
Ten year down the line they won't be here 
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Applesisapples

Quote from: lurganblue on March 04, 2017, 11:06:21 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 04, 2017, 10:46:10 AM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 03, 2017, 08:51:15 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 17, 2017, 01:03:46 PM
SF running 4 candidates in FST last time out cost them a seat, if they run 3 this time out they should get them all returned.

There are 2 seats in Upper Bann for SF if they manage their vote properly.

I reckon Newry & Armagh will be 3SF, 1DUP & 1SDLP with Danny Kennedy to lose out.

Strangford will be interesting to see if Jonathan Bell damages the DUP vote.
O'Dowd is better known, Cat Seeley standing down was a mistake, she could have stood down afterwards. Kelly is a dose and very negative in her approach to the nationalist community.
Nearly called it right, I can't believe Dolores Kelly got returned. Did I hear right that some areas that were to vote Toman voted for O'Dowd?

Not sure about that but i did hear that over 1000 votes for Dolores were transfered from the UUP.
That figures as she is pro OWC.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 04, 2017, 12:04:09 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 04, 2017, 10:49:55 AM
Odious Poots on UTV. Take no shite Michelle!
You know the way that a person's public persona and private persona can differ greatly. Well that's the case with Edwin. I met him a few times when he was a Minister and I can tell you he's even more odious in private than he is in public.
Likewise and I'd agree.

Keyser soze

It is no coincidence that SF's increase in votes came when they stood up to the Dup and collapsed Stormont. Most Sinn Fein voters don't believe that NI should exist let alone that republicans should take a part in ruling it. Their vote was shredding previously as their voters were sickened by them constantly being treated with contempt by unionists, accepting insults and arrogance whilst turing the other cheek. Only when they grew a pair and stood up to the arrogance did they reverse the trend of a shrinking nat/rep vote. IMO their role is to demonstrate that NI is ungovernable and is an unsustainable entity. Pity it took the Dup to, unwittingly in their arrogance, demonstrate it for them.

If they roll over post this election I forecast that they will kiss goodbye to the gains made now at any futture elections.

Applesisapples

I think the roll over days are gone. SF are not stupid they will have seen what happens when you let the DUP lead you by the nose.

seafoid

The DUP lost their veto. Does this mean Unionists will be forced into gay marriages ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TREKaEGBD_s
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 04, 2017, 12:13:02 PM
It is no coincidence that SF's increase in votes came when they stood up to the Dup and collapsed Stormont. Most Sinn Fein voters don't believe that NI should exist let alone that republicans should take a part in ruling it. Their vote was shredding previously as their voters were sickened by them constantly being treated with contempt by unionists, accepting insults and arrogance whilst turing the other cheek. Only when they grew a pair and stood up to the arrogance did they reverse the trend of a shrinking nat/rep vote. IMO their role is to demonstrate that NI is ungovernable and is an unsustainable entity. Pity it took the Dup to, unwittingly in their arrogance, demonstrate it for them.

If they roll over post this election I forecast that they will kiss goodbye to the gains made now at any futture elections.

That's it in a nutshell.

vallankumous

Quote from: seafoid on March 04, 2017, 12:15:57 PM
The DUP lost their veto. Does this mean Unionists will be forced into gay marriages ?

Yip, shotgun gay marriage.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 04, 2017, 12:15:29 PM
I think the roll over days are gone. SF are not stupid they will have seen what happens when you let the DUP lead you by the nose.

I don't subscribe to this completely
SF electorate including myself realise that MC Guinness bent over backwards to try and make it work
But to no avail

Couple this with the DUPs behaviour this last few years and their indifference to the nationalist electorate
Snarline attitude was the last straw
It turned the nationalist vote from an apathetic sleeper into a wounded animal
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

vallankumous

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 04, 2017, 12:13:02 PM

Yes, I agree that this give them the lift. However, they did still hold a large part of their vote.
I am one who give up on them with the brinkmanship game and was delighted when they pulled the plug on Arlegator.
However, i think it's ungovernable because it's unsustainable not because there are two ethic people living there.

whatifs

be interesting to see how long it takes the unionists to start shouting about splitting their vote to let nationalists/republicans in as main force now,will there be calls for unionist groups to reunite as 1 so they can keep the nationalists down and put them back in their place as this is what the majority of unionists still cling to,glad to see danny kennedy get the bullet in my area,i know he has done/helped nationalists in the past and would have got transfers from some but he shot himself in the foot the other day by displaying his bigotry and saying he would only be asking his supporters to transfer to other unionist candidates!!!!pity that other **** poots wasnt with him!!!     

randomusername

Quote from: whatifs on March 04, 2017, 01:16:40 PM
be interesting to see how long it takes the unionists to start shouting about splitting their vote to let nationalists/republicans in as main force now,will there be calls for unionist groups to reunite as 1 so they can keep the nationalists down and put them back in their place as this is what the majority of unionists still cling to,glad to see danny kennedy get the bullet in my area,i know he has done/helped nationalists in the past and would have got transfers from some but he shot himself in the foot the other day by displaying his bigotry and saying he would only be asking his supporters to transfer to other unionist candidates!!!!pity that other **** poots wasnt with him!!!   

Unionists are obsessed with this idea of a unified party. Can't see it happening any time soon though.

Obsessed with bloody pacts and transferring to other unionist parties as well. Horrifically negative approach to politics.

Had a look at Edwin Poots' facebook and most of them seem to be blaming Mike Nesbitt. It's not Mike Nesbitt's fault Sinn Fein found an extra 60k votes in less than a year.

armaghniac

Quote from: vallankumous on March 04, 2017, 12:28:33 PM

Conducted in Irish by a Catholic priest.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on March 04, 2017, 01:32:29 PM

with obligatory GAA jerseys
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on March 04, 2017, 01:39:22 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 04, 2017, 01:32:29 PM

with obligatory GAA jerseys

let's not be too harsh on them, no man should be forced to wear a Down jersey against his will.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B