Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Take Your Points

Quote from: vallankumous on March 04, 2017, 08:13:11 AM
The SDLP calling this a sectarian result is very bad politics. You lose an election you shouldn't react by insulting the electorate.

I didn't vote but I would have voted SF and I'd have been insulted if I was accused of voting for sectarian reasons. Corruption, the Irish language and equality for LGBT community are not sectarian in motive.

Well there should end your contribution to any discussion. Btw SDLP didn't lose they increased seats by 20% on equivalence and narrowly beaten by 143 votes in Strangford which would have almost match SF increase on equivalence.

Take Your Points

Quote from: vallankumous on March 04, 2017, 09:07:33 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 04, 2017, 09:01:08 AM
Huge result for Nationalists with the seat count dropping by 18 and then both keeping the same number of seats (well SF have 27 now instead of 28).

Unionism in turmoil and a resurgence of the SDLP is great to see. To be fair I don't usually vote for SF but Arelene's arrogance and naked bigotry helped to make my mind up this time.

There was talk she needed a minimum 30 seats to solidify her position as party leader it will be interesting to see how she gets through the next few days. I'm sure Gerry and the BBC will get a get plenty of the blame!

FAKE NEWS

I think the Gerry Adams angle didn't work for her in the election. It would be foolish to keep it up.

Without using Adams she would have seen meltdown. Unionism exists and feeds on bogeymen. It has always created them and used them to great effect. The mindset of unionism has always been a siege mentality and nationalism has risen above it by having a vision and confidence in all aspects of life.

6th sam

Quote from: johnneycool on March 04, 2017, 08:54:58 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on March 03, 2017, 10:48:57 PM
Weir in by a whisker against SDLP in Strangford

DUP 5,392.38   SDLP 5,167.09

Shinners fucked Joe Boyle up by standing Kennedy who didn't make the slightest effort, no leaflets, no posters or nothing but still took 1k votes from him. That most certainly would have got Joe over the line at the expense of Weir.
In saying that Joe isn't as clued in on the social media front as the likes of Kellie Armstrong who seems to have mobilised the young mammy vote. Very few aware of Joe's good work at council level helping out the local GAA clubs and so forth.
I would presume that SF strategy also included maximising their total first preference , as well as optimising their seat count. But Their apparent lack of electioneering in Strangford was possibly an indication that they would have been happy enough to see Joe get over the line. The SDLP have been in a very difficult position for years. It would be almost impossible for them to regain their position as the main nationalist  party , so in a party political sense they have to make every effort to maintain their representation. Though their vote has been steadily dropping whilst the "nationalist" population has been increasing, their attempts to attract unionist transfers actually proved "successful" in terms of retaining their seat count. However ,their decision to opportunistically co-blame sinn féin for the fall of Stormont , angered many nationalists. There has been a growing feeling that some in the DUP wanted to go back to a pre-1969 , and the sneering disrespect for nationalist culture and aspirations actually motivated more than 60,000 extra nationalists to the polls. There was an incredible 35% increase in Sinn Féin votes in only 9 months. Arlene's anti-Sinn Féin scaremongering rallied her own troops with 9% increase in DUP vote, but in the process she has given Sinn Féin a massive lift and many DUP stalwarts are out of a job. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the DUPs post election meeting, where she is bound to be given her marching orders. From a nationalist perspective, many will be disappointed as this election came within a whisker of an end to nearly 100 years of unionist rule in this part of the country. Your accusation that sinn féin should have stepped aside for Joe , could equally be targeted at SDLP candidates who , if they stepped aside , could have secured a nationalist majority in the 6 counties for the first time ever. SDLP appear to have "softened" over the years Eg Pat Catney and others talking about making " this country" (presumably NI) work. Many nationalists have little interest in making "this country work" because they feel it has been given 100 years to work and continues to fail miserably.

Horse Box

Quote from: johnneycool on March 04, 2017, 08:54:58 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on March 03, 2017, 10:48:57 PM
Weir in by a whisker against SDLP in Strangford

DUP 5,392.38   SDLP 5,167.09

Shinners fucked Joe Boyle up by standing Kennedy who didn't make the slightest effort, no leaflets, no posters or nothing but still took 1k votes from him. That most certainly would have got Joe over the line at the expense of Weir.
In saying that Joe isn't as clued in on the social media front as the likes of Kellie Armstrong who seems to have mobilised the young mammy vote. Very few aware of Joe's good work at council level helping out the local GAA clubs and so forth.

It`s a pity that there`s not more cooperation between Nationalists in an area like this where there is a hint of a seat . Joe has been very unlucky over the years always just ending up outside the Bubble . The Shinners were right the run , if they didn`t they would have been accused of playing the sectarian card , it`s just a pity Kennedy didn`t make the effort and also ask people to transfer to Joe !

seafoid

How many in the DUP assembly/Westminster  group defected from the UUP other than Foster and Donaldson? DUP policy for years has been based on vilification of SF and then working with them begrudgingly . There is nothing else really in terms of strategy and now the demographics are catching up with them.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dougal Maguire

Nelson McCausland, Peter Weir, Brenda Hale, Jonathan Bell are 4 that spring to mind
Careful now

Main Street

At least the tabloid headlines offer a smile.
"Nesbit the Dust"

In theory, the model of the assembly is that largest opposition parties have to negotiate with each other in order to get stuff done, but in that model is the seed of its demise, the impasse.

Judging by the rise in nationalist vote, not just for Sinn Fein but also the SDLP  I take it that Foster succeeded in  deeply insulting most all nationalists, of every shade of green.
  Now she wants a return to civility ::)  I'd say the DUP will have to get rid of her now that she has done her duty and outliving her usefulness, in order for the assembly to have a chance to function to some extent.
I wouldn't underestimate the DUP's desire for power and avoid the final steps to assembly destruction.

seafoid

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 04, 2017, 10:20:28 AM
Nelson McCausland, Peter Weir, Brenda Hale, Jonathan Bell are 4 that spring to mind
GRMA
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Main Street on March 04, 2017, 10:24:55 AM
At least the tabloid headlines offer a smile.
"Nesbit the Dust"

In theory, the model of the assembly is that largest opposition parties have to negotiate with each other in order to get stuff done, but in that model is the seed of its demise, the impasse.

Judging by the rise in nationalist vote, not just for Sinn Fein but also the SDLP  I take it that Foster succeeded in  deeply insulting most all nationalists, of every shade of green.
  Now she wants a return to civility ::)  I'd say the DUP will have to get rid of her now that she has done her duty and outliving her usefulness, in order for the assembly to have a chance to function to some extent.
I wouldn't underestimate the DUP's desire for power and avoid the final steps to assembly destruction.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they hold out now for another election in 6 weeks time. They can blame SF intransigence then use the scare tactics of a possible SF First Minister to help maximise their vote and discourage UUP transfers to SDLP.
Careful now

Applesisapples

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 03, 2017, 08:51:15 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 17, 2017, 01:03:46 PM
SF running 4 candidates in FST last time out cost them a seat, if they run 3 this time out they should get them all returned.

There are 2 seats in Upper Bann for SF if they manage their vote properly.

I reckon Newry & Armagh will be 3SF, 1DUP & 1SDLP with Danny Kennedy to lose out.

Strangford will be interesting to see if Jonathan Bell damages the DUP vote.
O'Dowd is better known, Cat Seeley standing down was a mistake, she could have stood down afterwards. Kelly is a dose and very negative in her approach to the nationalist community.
Nearly called it right, I can't believe Dolores Kelly got returned. Did I hear right that some areas that were to vote Toman voted for O'Dowd?

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on March 04, 2017, 08:56:19 AM
Only hope for North is that non voters get to the polls.SF and DUP cult followers do not understand nor care about normal politics like Brexit etc,they only care about the brand
Graceful as ever.

Applesisapples

Odious Poots on UTV. Take no shite Michelle!

balladmaker

Unionist overall majority is gone, and forever ... enough said.

lurganblue

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 04, 2017, 10:46:10 AM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 03, 2017, 08:51:15 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 17, 2017, 01:03:46 PM
SF running 4 candidates in FST last time out cost them a seat, if they run 3 this time out they should get them all returned.

There are 2 seats in Upper Bann for SF if they manage their vote properly.

I reckon Newry & Armagh will be 3SF, 1DUP & 1SDLP with Danny Kennedy to lose out.

Strangford will be interesting to see if Jonathan Bell damages the DUP vote.
O'Dowd is better known, Cat Seeley standing down was a mistake, she could have stood down afterwards. Kelly is a dose and very negative in her approach to the nationalist community.
Nearly called it right, I can't believe Dolores Kelly got returned. Did I hear right that some areas that were to vote Toman voted for O'Dowd?

Not sure about that but i did hear that over 1000 votes for Dolores were transfered from the UUP. 

GJL

Quote from: king of leon on March 04, 2017, 09:21:49 AM
Will Arlene go? Surely she her arrogance can't go beyond this.

Also, what is the likelihood of Sinn Fein ever taking their seats at Westminster?

This has been a disaster of an election for the DUP. She will be forced out from within.