Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

The DUP needed 30 to trigger their beloved veto, the petition of concern. They lost a big lead they had going into the election. And they are pro Brexit. Foster is a poor leader. The DUP remind me of Armagh.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2017, 12:31:16 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 04, 2017, 12:26:47 AM
Likely end up, 40 unionists, 39 nationalists and 11 others, probably 28 DUP and 27 SF.
That's sums up NI politics... sectarian head count

Feck everything else that matters

What do you expect when a line was drawn on a map to keep one side of the headcount happy nearly 100 years ago.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 04, 2017, 06:31:17 AM
Likely end up, 40 unionists, 39 nationalists and 11 others, probably 28 DUP and 27 SF.

What do you expect when a line was drawn on a map to keep one side of the headcount happy nearly 100 years ago.
Exactly . It has been sectarian from day 1.

ONeill

Can't believe Dobson is out. What's wrong with people. And the Little Penguin too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Meanwhile Foreign Affairs Dept in Dublin is shitting itself as the unionist majority dwindles and the prospect of a border poll intensifies.

Tubberman

Quote from: T Fearon on March 04, 2017, 07:55:04 AM
Meanwhile Foreign Affairs Dept in Dublin is shitting itself as the unionist majority dwindles and the prospect of a border poll intensifies.

Enda Kenny has been calling for a border poll to be discussed in Brexit talks.
You're far more likely to be the one worried about the prospect of a United Ireland.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on March 04, 2017, 06:14:40 AM
The DUP needed 30 to trigger their beloved veto, the petition of concern. They lost a big lead they had going into the election. And they are pro Brexit. Foster is a poor leader. The DUP remind me of Armagh.

They don't give a shit about brexit sf. It's a tool to "strengthen the union". That is all.

vallankumous

The SDLP calling this a sectarian result is very bad politics. You lose an election you shouldn't react by insulting the electorate.

I didn't vote but I would have voted SF and I'd have been insulted if I was accused of voting for sectarian reasons. Corruption, the Irish language and equality for LGBT community are not sectarian in motive.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2017, 08:06:55 AM

They don't give a shit about brexit sf. It's a tool to "strengthen the union". That is all.
And the irony is that it has more potential to break the union.
Careful now

Avondhu star

How did you come to that asinine conclusion?
No one including Sinn Fein have made the good economic case for a United Ireland. To give credit to Matt Carthy MEP he did make soundings in that regard.
When Brexit finally kicks there will be no special status for the north. Try convincing the Poles Greeks etc that a small region still under British jurisdiction should get a sweetheart deal.
When the Brussels cheques dries up and Westminster has its arse opened looking after the "mainland" both sides in the north will have to look at alternative political arrangements.
However both north and south is lacking a true leader like Parnell that the country could rally behind
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 04, 2017, 06:31:17 AM

I expect local politicians to create jobs, improve health, generate growth, improved education not separate education... build bridges with our neighbors not divide them further... simple things like that, what do you look for from your politicians?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

vallankumous

Quote from: Avondhu star on March 04, 2017, 08:40:59 AM
How did you come to that asinine conclusion?
No one including Sinn Fein have made the good economic case for a United Ireland. To give credit to Matt Carthy MEP he did make soundings in that regard.
When Brexit finally kicks there will be no special status for the north. Try convincing the Poles Greeks etc that a small region still under British jurisdiction should get a sweetheart deal.
When the Brussels cheques dries up and Westminster has its arse opened looking after the "mainland" both sides in the north will have to look at alternative political arrangements.
However both north and south is lacking a true leader like Parnell that the country could rally behind

Nobody cares about the Greeks, least of all the EU. The Poles have a big interest in the ex pats in the UK and might have some voice.

Parnell, FFS

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2017, 08:06:55 AM

It won't strengthen the union
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/brexits-long-run-effects-john-van-reenen.pdf

I think the DUP were tangoed. SF wanted Arlene to resign but the politics wouldn't allow it as it would have been perceived as a SF win. So they called an election. And a weakened DUP is now just 1 seat ahead. Arlene reminds me of Babs Keating and the Offaly hurlers.

Re there not being a Parnell, the political conditions are not yet ripe for a mould breaker. There is a saying in German that goes something like where heroes are not forgotten new ones will come.
I think a lot of institutions on the island are close to knackered. When the people demand change is when things will start moving.

johnneycool

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 03, 2017, 10:48:57 PM
Weir in by a whisker against SDLP in Strangford

DUP 5,392.38   SDLP 5,167.09

Shinners fucked Joe Boyle up by standing Kennedy who didn't make the slightest effort, no leaflets, no posters or nothing but still took 1k votes from him. That most certainly would have got Joe over the line at the expense of Weir.
In saying that Joe isn't as clued in on the social media front as the likes of Kellie Armstrong who seems to have mobilised the young mammy vote. Very few aware of Joe's good work at council level helping out the local GAA clubs and so forth.

T Fearon

Only hope for North is that non voters get to the polls.SF and DUP cult followers do not understand nor care about normal politics like Brexit etc,they only care about the brand