Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

SF may get marginally more votes than the DUP, but will not get more seats as there are 4% of votes going to the TUV that will end up with the DUP in most constituencies. This is just as well, as a SF First Minister would be a distraction at this time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: StephenC on March 03, 2017, 08:59:57 AM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on March 03, 2017, 08:46:50 AM
If SF come in as the largest party and DUP come in second I could see them refusing to nominate a deputy first minister.

What in under sweet Jesus makes you think that SF would be the largest party? Is there anything to suggest that this could happen?

Notice I started my statement with IF.  I didn't say I think they would be the largest party
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

armaghniac

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on March 03, 2017, 09:39:20 AM
Quote from: StephenC on March 03, 2017, 08:59:57 AM
If SF come in as the largest party and DUP come in second I could see them refusing to nominate a deputy first minister.

What in under sweet Jesus makes you think that SF would be the largest party? Is there anything to suggest that this could happen?

Notice I started my statement with IF.  I didn't say I think they would be the largest party

There is a  probability that SF might reach parity with the DUP in seats. How does  that  work with the titles of the ministers.

haranguerer

(unless I'm missing something) It doens't follow that lower turnout in loyalist areas is bad for the dup - low turnout usually would support notion that status quo will be maintained. High turnout however likely to point to others who don't traditionally vote dup turning out to vote for someone else

lurganblue

I could also see SF not wanting to work with the DUP

Take Your Points

On the Nolan Show this morning the former editor was brought back to give his thoughts on the collapse of the institutions.  He was the editor of the show before taking a high profile job as the top spin doctor for the executive office (OFMDFM).

On asked for his analysis of the issues he said that there are elements in DUP and in SF who have priorities/issues that are always incompatible and this resulted in their inability to share power.  The leaders were unable to bring these bases in their respective parties to the point of co-existence never mind any reconciliation. 

haranguerer

As would be the case with the SDLP/UUP, no?

north_antrim_hound

Can't see the DUP lose any ground at all
Their electorate maybe don't approve of all the corruption but it's the lesser evil of having nationalist on equal terms
DUPs election campaign was all about invoking fear on this and compromising the unionists
In their eyes they are the master race and everyone else needs put back in their box when they get notions above their station
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

The Trap

What would be wrong with all of them getting together and having a government with:

Joint First Minister - Nationalist/Unionist
Joint Finance Minister - from two different parties that can somewhat agree
Joint Health Minister - as above
Joint Education Minister - as above
Joint Brexit Minster - going to need that!

etc etc

Would like all the leaders especially Long to be part of the government. In fact she would be a brilliant First Minister on her own! Only way for it to work is to make them work together, not carve up depts. between SF and DUP and let them run it THEIR way! How about running depts. OUR way.

This place could be so prosperous if people were smart about it. We could be help up as an example to the rest of the world and could get money from UK, Europe, US, Far East........use the "everybody loves the Irish" and the "sure my ancestors came from Ireland" and whatever else it takes to get investment.

But what do we do?

Worry about flags and walking down roads and talking about a United Ireland (prob more people would vote for that in England than Ireland!!!!)

armaghniac

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 03, 2017, 10:22:56 AM
Can't see the DUP lose any ground at all
Their electorate maybe don't approve of all the corruption but it's the lesser evil of having nationalist on equal terms
DUPs election campaign was all about invoking fear on this and compromising the unionists
In their eyes they are the master race and everyone else needs put back in their box when they get notions above their station

The DUP electorate may approve of their carry on, but they are only quarter of the population. Let the other three-quarters have a say.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: The Trap on March 03, 2017, 10:26:21 AM
What would be wrong with all of them getting together and having a government with:

etc etc

Would like all the leaders especially Long to be part of the government. In fact she would be a brilliant First Minister on her own! Only way for it to work is to make them work together, not carve up depts. between SF and DUP and let them run it THEIR way! How about running depts. OUR way.

This place could be so prosperous if people were smart about it. We could be help up as an example to the rest of the world and could get money from UK, Europe, US, Far East........use the "everybody loves the Irish" and the "sure my ancestors came from Ireland" and whatever else it takes to get investment.

But what do we do?

Worry about flags and walking down roads and talking about a United Ireland (prob more people would vote for that in England than Ireland!!!!)

I'd say the DUP Ministers would be right behind that plan considering they deny that they are Irish at every opportunity.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: haranguerer on March 03, 2017, 10:09:49 AM
As would be the case with the SDLP/UUP, no?

UUP lost its unionist supremacy years ago by embracing the nationalist representation as power sharing equals and would have to endorse a hate nationalist campaign to win back the lost vote
Their moderate diplomacy ruined them

The status quo will be maintained to Scotlands electorate pluck up the courage and take the leap to independence
Then the union will fall and its game on

stew

etc etc

But what do we do?

Why the shinners and SDLP dont hammer away at the sheer cost of running this place to the brits is beyond me, if the average brit knew how much it cost to run this little slice of heaven they would be up in arms!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AhNowRef

Funny but I was thinking about this last night ... Although unfortunately I think the DUP will still be the biggest party as their voters are just inane bigots and would vote for the lovechild of Attila the hun & Miley Cyrus (2 horrible cnuts  :o ) no mater what nonsense it got up to, as long as it keeps "themuns" out..  God but I hope I'm wrong..

Lets say the DUP have what they would consider "a disappointing" election result ... Would they simply think "well lets just run the election again" .. theoretically they could  ...  They're arrogant enough to do it and they would think the PUL voters would be re-awakened and vote for them big time in the "next" election .. RHI etc would become even more irrelevant ....  Nothing would surprise me in relation to them..

The really horrible scenario is if Snarlene and the DUP hold their vote ... that sends out a terrible message to the DUP that they can do whatever the feck they like and get away with it .... Imagine how arrogant the pricks would be then .. They truly would be unbearable  >:(

Also, the more I listen to these bigots the more Im convinced that, if/when the North does have a border poll and the majority of folk decide to leave the union for a UI, there will be a civil war or at least something akin to a civil war ... they wouldnt simply say "ah ok lads fair enough, its a fair cop" .... No chance .... They have reneged on several other major agreements within the peace deals and the border poll would simply be another....

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: stew on March 03, 2017, 10:50:08 AM

etc etc

But what do we do?

Why the shinners and SDLP dont hammer away at the sheer cost of running this place to the brits is beyond me, if the average brit knew how much it cost to run this little slice of heaven they would be up in arms!
[/quote

No point at the minute as those figures would be smudged
Treasa May is an old type Tory and might need the unionists behind her in Westminster
But as one sided as she is her no compromise attitudes and full steam into brexit might just push the Scots over the edge in the future
interesting  times all the same